Motability and Handcontrols

The place to discuss everything else..
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Reaching out to anyone who uses a push/pull mechanical hand control and would also love to hear from anyone who uses electronic Guidosimplex hand controls. I am particularly interested in users of the 2015A handcontrol.

I am posting this on other forums, sorry if you have seen it elsewhere. Many thanks.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max

StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Hello there, I use Ergo push/pull mechanical controls. When I ordered the car, in April, I asked for an indicator switch on the hand controls, but when they came to fit them, in August, they said that it wasn't possible to fit an indicator switch. I said okay and would they let me know when it would be possible; they updated me a few weeks ago to say that it's still not possible. They were blaming VW for the delay, saying VW hadn't released the necessary wiring diagram.
Early-adopters problems is the phrase, I believe!
As for the Guidosimplex controls, I'm sorry but I can't help you out there.
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

StuartT wrote: ↑Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:41 pm Hello there, I use Ergo push/pull mechanical controls. When I ordered the car, in April, I asked for an indicator switch on the hand controls, but when they came to fit them, in August, they said that it wasn't possible to fit an indicator switch. I said okay and would they let me know when it would be possible; they updated me a few weeks ago to say that it's still not possible. They were blaming VW for the delay, saying VW hadn't released the necessary wiring diagram.
Thanks for that Stuart. I am leaning towards mechanical hand controls and not engage anything to do with the cars electrics.

I hope you're enjoying the car.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

DumfriesDik wrote: ↑Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:14 am
StuartT wrote: ↑Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:41 pm Hello there, I use Ergo push/pull mechanical controls. When I ordered the car, in April, I asked for an indicator switch on the hand controls, but when they came to fit them, in August, they said that it wasn't possible to fit an indicator switch. I said okay and would they let me know when it would be possible; they updated me a few weeks ago to say that it's still not possible. They were blaming VW for the delay, saying VW hadn't released the necessary wiring diagram.
Thanks for that Stuart. I am leaning towards mechanical hand controls and not engage anything to do with the cars electrics.

I hope you're enjoying the car.

If they're all you need, just having hand controls is a smart move!
As for the car, it's a big hit in our house and we are absolutely chuffed with it. It's effortless to drive and quite calming - I love the 0-40mph pace and response. All I'll say is, given a choice, I'll never have another ICE car and, for what I ask of a car, it's everything I need and more.
Happy motoring, when yours arrives.
fatman

Post by fatman »

yes you can have indicator switch at pus pull .i got mine.i can give you phone number if u need.it was a company in newcastle
Max PRO Moonstone Grey August 2021. Software v3.2 [dealership]
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

fatman wrote: ↑Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:24 pm yes you can have indicator switch at pus pull .i got mine.i can give you phone number if u need.it was a company in newcastle

I live on the south coast so Newcastle would be a bit of a trek! However, its good to hear that they're available and I'd be interested in talking to them, if you could give me the number. I'll be contacting Motability as well, to see if they can shed any further light on the situation.
Cheers for the heads-up πŸ‘
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

fatman wrote: ↑Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:24 pm yes you can have indicator switch at pus pull .i got mine.i can give you phone number if u need.it was a company in newcastle
Is that Bewick Mobility?

https://www.bewickmobility.co.uk/
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
fatman

Post by fatman »

yes
Max PRO Moonstone Grey August 2021. Software v3.2 [dealership]
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

fatman wrote: ↑Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:49 pmyes
They are very helpful, refreshingly so. To have access to so many types of controls was great.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

DumfriesDik wrote: ↑Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:46 am
fatman wrote: ↑Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:49 pmyes
They are very helpful, refreshingly so. To have access to so many types of controls was great.

I've just spoken to them and they told me they get their kit from Jeff Gosling or Lodgesons. I then spoke to Motability who then spoke to Ergo (the original installer) and, long story short, they're looking into it and a solution seems to be on the horizon!
Many thanks, to everyone for letting me know.
Last edited by StuartT on Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Good news then Stuart, well, a start at least!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

DumfriesDik wrote: ↑Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:07 am Good news then Stuart, well, a start at least!
Β£583.00 later, and they're ordered. Motability wouldn't pay for retro-fitting.
Here's the rub, when I ordered the car in April the advanced payment was Β£999, but in July the Q3 price was Β£0. Thankfully, the salesman managed to cancel my original Motability order and re-order at the new price, whilst still keeping the original VW order in the system. Swings and roundabouts comes to mind...
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Blooming shame they wouldn't cough up, but well done on the paperwork for nil deposit.

Which controls did you go for in the end? In my Mazda there is a notch on the throttle. The handcontrols stopped there, but my wife could 'click' through it and get kick down. I had the controls adjusted and I can now get it in the Mazda.
Is that the same with the ID3?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

DumfriesDik wrote: ↑Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:34 am Blooming shame they wouldn't cough up, but well done on the paperwork for nil deposit.

Which controls did you go for in the end? In my Mazda there is a notch on the throttle. The handcontrols stopped there, but my wife could 'click' through it and get kick down. I had the controls adjusted and I can now get it in the Mazda.
Is that the same with the ID3?
I've still got Ergo controls, but they've got to fit an ECU as well as a new handle with an indicator switch. They're just standard mechanical push/pull controls, that sound more basic than yours, but my wife is still able to drive it as normal as well. I've only ever used basic push/pull controls and I'm far from being an expert (even though I've been using them for more than 25yrs!) but, it sounds as if each company makes them slightly differently. It's good that your Mazda controls can be adjusted though.
Happy motoring, when the day comes.