Two EVs, one charger?

The place to discuss everything else..
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

We are becoming a two EV household when my wife’s ID3 eventually gets delivered, to go alongside my Tesla Model 3 (being picked up next week).

Does anyone have any experience of running two cars and sharing a single charge point (Hypervolt in our case). I’m mulling over getting a second one installed, with the OZEV deadline of end March getting closer, but I don’t want to spend the £600-odd unnecessarily if one charger will cover our needs. We don’t do big mileage every day - my commute is 50 mile round trip, Mrs M’s is variable around client visits but probably works out similar daily mileage.

On the face of it, the figures suggest we don’t have to charge both cars every day, but winter range reductions being a hot topic, and preheating meaning one car will be doing so while unplugged, it got me thinking.
Family Pro Performance. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry alloys.
Ordered 16/9/21
Delivered 31/3/22

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

So you need an average of about 2 hours a day to replenish what you use, your wife about the same.

If you want to charge both cars at the same time, off-peak overnight, a second charger might be worthwhile - otherwise I think you’d get away with your existing one.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

We have e208 and an ID3 or order. No plans for a 2nd charge point as we are only charging 2 to 3 times per week currently so we should easily be able to share. If push comes to shove and we urgently need both cars charged simultaneously we have 7 ultra fast chargers within a few mins of home (5xMFG and 2xShell) or we can fight over who gets the 4 hours on Octopus Go and the other can use it up to the switch over time!
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

We are in similar position with my wife’s ID doing around 110 miles daily and charging every night with preheating before leaving in early mornings

We are taking delivery of a Hyundai Ionic 5 early next year (deliveries depending!) and mileage in that will be far less

We decided to go for the second charger due to preheating and the ID needing a charge every night

Take a look at the deals on Octopus for an OHME charger as I have already had one fitted with no fuss and approx £500 after the grant

They were very efficient and helpful throughout
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Is your electrical supply able to support 14.8kW?
64 amps along with other domestic loads?
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Daveion wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:26 pm Is your electrical supply able to support 14.8kW?
64 amps along with other domestic loads?
100 amp main fuse and charging will be essentially overnight in Octopus Go window, so very little else going on.

Hypervolt also has load balancing I believe, so able to regulate itself.
Ordered 16/9/21
Delivered 31/3/22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Then I would go with 2. Added bonus of duty and standby if one fails.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

They fitted a load balancer as well just in case

As per previous comment unlikely to get near as main charge will be overnight using Go Tariff

Just warming in mornings
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

Don't forget you can only claim for a single grant per house I believe. Did you get a grant for the first charger ?
This means you will need to pay for the full install. Therefore probably worth holding on and seeing if you can manage with a single charger.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Don’t think that’s correct - two grants allowed per household if two cars.

This snip from my OZEV form

CFC8A319-1C93-484A-99E5-A25E9E0440E3.jpeg

Ordered 16/9/21
Delivered 31/3/22
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

morrishey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:08 pm Don’t think that’s correct - two grants allowed per household if two cars.

You're correct. You can have two grant-qualifying EVSE installations at the same address provided you have two separate qualifying EV's. You'd need to get this into the scheme before April 2022 though, as after that point the grant will cease to be available for house owners with off-street parking though it can still be claimed by people who rent their homes or those who live in flats.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

Utumno wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:00 pm
morrishey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:08 pm Don’t think that’s correct - two grants allowed per household if two cars.

You're correct. You can have two grant-qualifying EVSE installations at the same address provided you have two separate qualifying EV's. You'd need to get this into the scheme before April 2022 though, as after that point the grant will cease to be available for house owners with off-street parking though it can still be claimed by people who rent their homes or those who live in flats.
My bad, thanks for the correction, I knew it asked if you already had claimed for a grant at the property so assumed you could only apply once. :)
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !