Reduce VAT on public charging

The place to discuss everything else..
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

It came to light recently that VAT on public chargers is 20%, the VAT rate at home for electricity is 5%. I figured there had to be a petition to sign to try and sort this out and have public charging VAT reduced to 5%, and found there wasnt. So I started one.

Please sign it and share it among other EV groups you know, Thanks very much

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/608872
ID3 Tour, Heat pump, sports pack, moonstone grey
ordered 24/01/22
Arrived: 05/05/23

Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

Signed.

With electricity costs going up in April I'm a bit scared what it'll mean for public chargers. There's a 50kW charger near me that's 25p/kWh. Right now, that seems super high. Come April... that's a bargain, and it charges much faster than my home charger.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Jack1338 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:08 am Signed.

With electricity costs going up in April I'm a bit scared what it'll mean for public chargers. There's a 50kW charger near me that's 25p/kWh. Right now, that seems super high. Come April... that's a bargain, and it charges much faster than my home charger.

You can probably expect public charging to be in the 50p/kWh territory, and higher for some operators. 25p/kWh is positively cheap and unlikely to stick around.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

Thanks Jack1338 appreciated :)

Yeah I agree public charging is going to be expensive, but i dont see why people with no driveway should pay 4 times the tax of people with one, If government policy is to move people from fossil fuels then to apply joined up tax policy on it would seem sensible.

I know that the exchequer has to make money somewhere, and that fuel duty income is falling, but I think that future revenue will come from road mile charging (for both EV and ICE) instead of current road tax. But the VAT thing is an issue I think needs to be raised.
ordered 24/01/22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Dinsdale wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:15 pm Thanks Jack1338 appreciated :)

Yeah I agree public charging is going to be expensive, but i dont see why people with no driveway should pay 4 times the tax of people with one, If government policy is to move people from fossil fuels then to apply joined up tax policy on it would seem sensible.

I know that the exchequer has to make money somewhere, and that fuel duty income is falling, but I think that future revenue will come from road mile charging (for both EV and ICE) instead of current road tax. But the VAT thing is an issue I think needs to be raised.
I think you are absolutely correct. I have a home charger and people unable to have one should not be disadvantaged. I think the rate should be the same for all. The disparity is huge between home and public charging as it is without the extra burden of higher vat.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Daveion wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:09 pm

I think you are absolutely correct. I have a home charger and people unable to have one should not be disadvantaged. I think the rate should be the same for all. The disparity is huge between home and public charging as it is without the extra burden of higher vat.
Dave
Signed.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Daveion wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:12 pm

Dave
Signed.

Can I ask an awkward question ? 😂
I have a home charger and people unable to have one should not be disadvantaged. I think the rate should be the same for all.
Is that "same for all" rate you're talking about 5% or 20% ? Particularly given ICE drivers all pay 20% VAT on ICE fuel, and business electricity consumers all also pay 20% on electricity, as well as ICE fuel.

I tend to find that people are all able to agree that everyone should pay less tax, but are generally less happy about having their tax burden rise...
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Utumno wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:44 pm

Dave
Signed.

I have a home charger and people unable to have one should not be disadvantaged. I think the rate should be the same for all.
Is that "same for all" rate you're talking about 5% or 20% ? Particularly given ICE drivers all pay 20% VAT on ICE fuel, and business electricity consumers all also pay 20% on electricity, as well as ICE fuel.

I tend to find that people are all able to agree that everyone should pay less tax, but are generally less happy about having their tax burden rise...
Same for all whatever that rate is. No disadvantage if you don't have a drive.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Daveion wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:17 pm

Signed.

Same for all whatever that rate is. No disadvantage if you don't have a drive.

I applaud you sir, and am also in the same camp. Hence not signing the petition; I'd rather see VAT rise for EV charging at home to 20% nationally than see VAT cut to 5% for public charging.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Member-1677

Post by Member-1677 »

Signed.
Life Pro - Moonstone Grey - East Derry Alloys
Ordered - 04.11.21
Order No - 3153****
Status - was 10, now 00
Build week was 45, then 47 now unknown!!!
Est delivery was Jan 2023: now......
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

Yes, its a very fair question. The same rate for all, as the petition says is 5%. Its true ICE drivers pay 20%, but government policy is to move people away from fossil fuels. Its also true that business cutomers pay 20% unless they meet certain criteria in which case the rate is reduced to 5%.

But here we are comparing apples and pears. Someone with a driveway pays 5% VAT to charge a car. Someone without a driveway pays 20% VAT to charge a car, That is most defintily not right. Some may argue, but certainly to someone living here in Cumbria a car is pretty much an essential item, It absolutely falls under the 5% rate.

As i mention earlier, I think road mile charging is coming, for both ICE and EVs, I think that has been on the cards for a long time, really since smaller diesels were becoming more and more efficient.
ordered 24/01/22
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Done
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Signed. Mind you I’ve got a drive so could add to its value in the future. It’s not fair on people that they’ll be paying more tax to charge because the don’t have a drive though.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the future though as the government is going to want to claw back all the lost fuel duty somehow. Putting up VAT on domestic supply to 20% would go down like a lead balloon.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

Member1667 and DumfiesDik, thanks, Appreciated :)
ordered 24/01/22
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:00 pm Signed. Mind you I’ve got a drive so could add to its value in the future. It’s not fair on people that they’ll be paying more tax to charge because the don’t have a drive though.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the future though as the government is going to want to claw back all the lost fuel duty somehow. Putting up VAT on domestic supply to 20% would go down like a lead balloon.
Thanks, I dont think they will go down that route, i really think road mile charging is the more likely senario, both for ICE and EV. VAT to 20% on all domestic billing would not fly, would resemble the poll tax riots i think.
ordered 24/01/22
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Dinsdale wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:03 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:00 pm Signed. Mind you I’ve got a drive so could add to its value in the future. It’s not fair on people that they’ll be paying more tax to charge because the don’t have a drive though.

Thanks, I dont think they will go down that route, i really think road mile charging is the more likely senario, both for ICE and EV. VAT to 20% on all domestic billing would not fly, would resemble the poll tax riots i think.
Yes, I’d not be in the least surprised if they brought in road mile charging.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

The Government will have to come up with something to replace the duty on fossil fuels - per mile charging probably, assuming they can retro-fit some kind of gizmo to every vehicle.
I've signed the petition btw ...
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Utumno wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:50 am
Jack1338 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:08 am Signed.

You can probably expect public charging to be in the 50p/kWh territory, and higher for some operators. 25p/kWh is positively cheap and unlikely to stick around.
Instavolt are increasing from 45p/kWh to 50p/kWh as of tomorrow. Fully expect some of the other networks to follow.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
MLB_ID3

Post by MLB_ID3 »

I've signed the petition. Might be worth sharing with EV You Tube channels?
Order date: 9th October
Spec: Family Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya Alloys
Original delivery estimates: March, April, May now Autumn
Previous build weeks: 19, 22
Estimated build week: 2022 wk38
** Cancelled **
Garyb 123

Post by Garyb 123 »

Ive signed it but there’s an awful long way to go to get it discussed. Fingers crossed!
Family Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry’s
Paper worked signed 12.08.21
Order number 3142****
Build week changed a few times but last update was week 47