Driving to London from Leeds

The place to discuss everything else..
CynicMe

Post by CynicMe »

Hi All

I have an event in London that I will be attending and it will include an overnight stay. I looked at train tickets and the cheapest return is about 80 quid. Since getting the ID3, I've been wanting to take longer car journeys and it looks like it will be cheaper to drive to London than getting the train. I don't mind parking further out of London and then getting the tube but there doesn't seem to be any sort of park and ride in London.

I'm also considering parking at Heathrow airport and getting the tube in but I don't know if you need a plane ticket to access the tube station?

I would be grateful for any thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks.
21/07/21: ordered VW ID3 Life pro
10/10/21: received VW Order No: 3136xxxx
05/12/21: dealer offered someone's cancelled order - own car not built yet
23/12/21: car had arrived in the UK
29/12/21; picked up car from dealership :D

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Google what football fans do for Wembley finals. I honestly can’t remember where - but I drove down to somewhere near Northampton or Bedford. Parked on a side road and the train was fast straight into London.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I'd have thought Heathrow parking would be expensive and it's also a long way out unless you want to be in that direction for your event. However there are a number of stations on the Tube that have decent value parking. When doing this a few times years ago I used to use East Finchley, which is on the Northern Line:
https://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/c ... y-stn-tfl/
It's fairly close to the bottom of the M1/A1 so a very good option from Leeds if you are going to central London.

I once used Hounslow West, which used to also be cheap and is out towards Heathrow. It's also an option:
https://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/c ... t-stn-tfl/
Although I got back the next day to find the car park taken over for a market and my car half surrounded by stalls, which was a bit awkward!

There may be Tube station options that have Type 2 chargers you can leave the ID3 on but I'm not sure which. There appear to be lots of rapid charging options in northern London from a quick check of Zapmp though.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Griff

Post by Griff »

An old colleague of mine lived near Lords and let people park on his driveway. There was a website that organised this but am not sure what it is.
:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

CynicMe wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:08 pm Hi All

I have an event in London that I will be attending and it will include an overnight stay. I looked at train tickets and the cheapest return is about 80 quid. Since getting the ID3, I've been wanting to take longer car journeys and it looks like it will be cheaper to drive to London than getting the train. I don't mind parking further out of London and then getting the tube but there doesn't seem to be any sort of park and ride in London.

I'm also considering parking at Heathrow airport and getting the tube in but I don't know if you need a plane ticket to access the tube station?

Thanks.

I tend to bat down the M40 and then park at Hillingdon as it’s literally just off the motorway. Hillingdon is on the Tube (District / Metropolitan / Piccadilly) and it’s a doddle then to get nearly anywhere you like. Other routes exist, of course, and Oxford Parkway > Marylebone is cheap and pretty fast too.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
TwyRob

Post by TwyRob »

Amersham is also a convenient place to pick up the tube and is minutes from the Beaconsfield M40 junction.
Max Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise
Ordered 26/10/21
Delivered 21st April 2023
sghom

Post by sghom »

CynicMe wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:08 pm Hi All

Thanks.
From leeds, M1 to junction 5 watford. turn right & 15 mins or so to watford train station. Only a small commuter station... plenty of parking.
£11 on the tube and about 45 mins to euston. sorted.
family pro performance, mangy knees+bin lids
JCT 600 [sheffield]
ordered 17 july
3140xxxx
build week 45 confirmed? 11/1
on the boat 8-)
MY22
ETA feb 22 8-)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Harrow is always cheap to park and stay. Wembley Park is plenty cheap too if there's no events on at the stadium or Arena. With no events, you can park in the streets for nowt - the residents parking permits only kick in when there's an event on. There's a fair few eapid chargers near Wembley too.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
CynicMe

Post by CynicMe »

Thanks everyone! I'll have a look into all of those options. I'm being mIndful that I'll be leaving the car overnight so wouldn't be comfortable parking on a street.

As for Heathrow parking - it will cost around £26 in the long stay parking which is also cheaper than the train ticket but I just don't know if I can access the underground tube without a plane ticket (never flown from Heathrow so don't know the area).
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

For the underground and also the more rapid Heathrow Express you can access both without airline ticket. The entrance after the arrivals area.
You can buy tickets using the machines at the entrance or for Heathrow Express via the internet.

However my feeling, is that you will also waste a lot of time with the shuttle buses between the terminals and car parks.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
van

Post by van »

Silly question perhaps, but could you not park at your overnight hotel/b&b?
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Try Hayes, we have stayed at the premier inn next to asda. Free charging on site and only a few minute walk to the train station.

We live in Leeds and easily get their
CynicMe

Post by CynicMe »

Thanks!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Harrow Premier Inn charges a fiver a day for onsite parking.

blackangus

Post by blackangus »

:cry: Agree with previous. Down M1 ,tube or overground in. Personal experience of trying to cross London( to visit family) is a nightmare of 20mph, ULEV zones, speed cameras, dicky chargepoints and then theres parking. I got caught doing 26mph in Finchley 20 mph zone.I blame Sally satnav, I didnt want to go there!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Harrow/Wembley is pretty much as close to Central London as you can get without straying into a ULEZ zone.

StuartT

Post by StuartT »

I've just read this thread, not a lot gets past me, and for what it's worth I thought I'd chuck my thoughts in. We went to Edgbaston at the weekend and used the JustPark app. We parked on a driveway just down the road from the stadium, with an Indian restaurant between the two locations for a post-match curry, and the parking worked out well; a mate also used it to get a parking space nearby as well. We paid £15 for 12 hours. Some of the parking on offer, on the app, also offers the use of a home-charger. (for a fee, Cherry)
I appreciate the original post has come and gone but I posted it because I haven't seen this app being mentioned.
Cheers
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

StuartT wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:09 pm Some of the parking on offer, on the app, also offers the use of a home-charger. (for a fee, Cherry)

Genuine lol at the “for a fee, Cherry” aside :-D
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Utumno wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:14 pm
StuartT wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:09 pm Some of the parking on offer, on the app, also offers the use of a home-charger. (for a fee, Cherry)

Genuine lol at the “for a fee, Cherry” aside :-D
I understood that reference :lol:
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It's probably Cherry's charger(s) now on the app and he is laughing at us advertising his services. I'm sure he'd love people to block them all up to keep his cousins out!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.