Electric Prices/Tariffs and Working From Home

The place to discuss everything else..
Mattf01

Post by Mattf01 »

Hi everyone

Hoping for some advice. We have an ID3 58kwh Life Pro on order due in the next few weeks.

Just wondering what electric tariffs people are on who also work from home? Me and my partner both work from home and the car would be mostly used for shorter journeys with the odd journey up and down the motorway every month. When we ordered the car I was going to change over to an EV tariff like Octopus Go to charge at night at the 5p rate however now this might not be possible.

Our variable rate is moving up to 27p from 17p

Do you think having an EV tariff would be better off still despite us both working from home with 2 laptops, 2 screens, etc?

Thanks in advance

M
ID 3 58kwh Life Pro Performance
Ordered August 2021
Delivered March 2022

Griff

Post by Griff »

Hi, I am currently on a similar tariff to you and my wife works at home a few days a week. I have run a few numbers to change to either Octopus or an Economy-7 but it is marginal as to whether they will be cheaper (based on my current domestic usage and expected ID3 mileage) . My electricity provider (SSE) said it only works out cheaper if 42% of your energy is consumed overnight...I have seen that number quoted elsewhere.

I added my current annual usage and anticipated 2000Kwh and I would be between 30% and 35% on cheap rate. So, in short, it may not be for everyone.
:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

When your tariff moves to 27p you might as well move to GO if you have delayed start functions on your Washing machine, dryer and dishwasher.

Suppose you use 100 kWh a week currently (which is quite a lot) then it will cost you £3 a week more on GO than the new cap rate but if you can move 15 kWh to off peak then it would be £3.38 a week cheaper. A couple of laptops and monitors won’t cost much to run. The pump for your central heating will probably use more oddly enough.

An 80% charge on GO will cost £3.48
An 80% charge on the new cap would be £12.52
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Mattf01

Post by Mattf01 »

Thanks for your views - helpful and reassuring. Its one of these things where I don't want to make a bad choice. If I can get on something like GO I think it would work out better and I assume the day rate is probably on par with what the price cap will be.

Just waiting to hear back from my current provider and Octopus.
ID 3 58kwh Life Pro Performance
Ordered August 2021
Delivered March 2022
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Mattf01 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:44 am Thanks for your views - helpful and reassuring. Its one of these things where I don't want to make a bad choice.

Bear in mind also that a bad choice between Octopus Flexible and Octopus Go doesn't really matter as neither lock you into any minimum term, and there are no exit charges. You just can't switch more often than every 30 days, but if you do make a bad choice the damage is only for that month. It's fortunately not like picking a duff fixed-term price and living with it for a year. So your risk is less than you might be worrying about.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203