Polestar 2 – Ordering Experience & First Impressions

The place to discuss everything else..
Bubba82

Post by Bubba82 »

andrewparker wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:19 pm
Hemming91 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:15 pm What kind of range figures have you been seeing/getting? My assumption is that it'll be worse than the ID3 as it is a heavier car.
First decent run today, 142 miles averaging 4.03 miles per kWh, so with a useable capacity of 61kWh that’s a range of 245 miles. Preparing for my first experience of public charging tomorrow.
That’s very impressive and encouraging for the C40 I have coming later this year as it’s similar if not the same running gear but with the new bigger battery
ID3 family pro in Turquoise with east Derry alloys
Ordered 21/9/2021…..Cancelled 19/3/2022
Was order No 31477
Original Confirmed build week 51 2021
Build week cancelled due to MY update
New build week of 35,36 now 40 2022 status 10
Delivery not now

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

So an initial 15 miles of A-roads from our house to the M1, then sat for 125 miles at 60-70mph. A few 50mph sections thrown in, but otherwise the traffic was OK. Car was fully loaded with luggage, myself and my wife plus two children. Probably worth noting that my car has the 20” alloys, so choosing the 19s is better for efficiency. Also, my wife continually faffs around with the air conditioning.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Bubba82 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:55 pm
Hemming91 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:15 pm What kind of range figures have you been seeing/getting? My assumption is that it'll be worse than the ID3 as it is a heavier car.
First decent run today, 142 miles averaging 4.03 miles per kWh, so with a useable capacity of 61kWh that’s a range of 245 miles. Preparing for my first experience of public charging tomorrow.
That’s very impressive and encouraging for the C40 I have coming later this year as it’s similar if not the same running gear but with the new bigger battery
Have you ordered the one with the 69kWh battery?

I witnessed the strangest of things the other day, my wife and her friend talking and enthusing about their electric cars, Polestar and C40 respectively. I’ve never known my wife to have any interest in cars, but there they were, talking about one pedal driving and how much they liked their cars :shock:
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Bubba82

Post by Bubba82 »

andrewparker wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:28 pm
Bubba82 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Have you ordered the one with the 69kWh battery?

I witnessed the strangest of things the other day, my wife and her friend talking and enthusing about their electric cars, Polestar and C40 respectively. I’ve never known my wife to have any interest in cars, but there they were, talking about one pedal driving and how much they liked their cars :shock:
Yeah that’s right the 69kwh battery, I’m undecided about one peddle driving at the moment after the test drive! I did look at the polestar but Volvo gave me a loyalty discount which made the decision easier - question for you as they both run Google software does the scheduled charging work in the car?
ID3 family pro in Turquoise with east Derry alloys
Ordered 21/9/2021…..Cancelled 19/3/2022
Was order No 31477
Original Confirmed build week 51 2021
Build week cancelled due to MY update
New build week of 35,36 now 40 2022 status 10
Delivery not now
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Not tried scheduled charging. I don’t have an off-peak tariff so I just plug it in when it needs charging.

I think one pedal is fantastic for everyday driving, although I always have it in the medium setting. The standard setting is just too aggressive for me. I turn it off on the motorway though.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

First public charge this morning on a 50kW InstaVolt fast charger. Easy peasy.

VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Why are there so many posts about polestar when its an id3 forum , they should be on the appropriate site
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I second that.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

It’s posted in “off topic chat “ for a reason, but I hear you. Laters, hope you all get your VWs.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:37 pm Why are there so many posts about polestar when its an id3 forum , they should be on the appropriate site
It's mainly because a fair few people are getting sick of the 14 month wait for their ID3s and looking at other options. It's off topic, can't see the harm.

At the moment, the population split here seems to be:-

40% who've had their ID3 around a year.
50% who're in the middle of a long wait
10% with recent deliveries

I should be getting a company car soon with my new job. I'm perfectly happy with my ID3 Life, but if I get a company car, it'll not be another ID3 as I'll need something I haven't got a huge wait for. Ideally it'd be an ID4 GTX, but they have a huge wait too.

No harm at all in having some off topic talk involving other cars, especially as there's not a lot of new conversation going on.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Just to clarify - the off topic forum is exactly for this sort of chat. I am more than happy that discussions for other car models take place in this section.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Test driving a Polestar tomorrow…

Want something with a little more range - bit faster charging. 5 seat Tour would be ideal but……
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

MotMot wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:15 am Test driving a Polestar tomorrow…

Want something with a little more range - bit faster charging. 5 seat Tour would be ideal but……
Nice one, let us know what you think.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Previous Volvo owner (and fan) so….

On paper biggest downsides are boot space and it’s size (I like the ID3 size…)

The new standard size battery 69kwh from 65… narrows the gap to the LR at 79… also raises the charging speed. I think it’s a different cell chem too. See if the salesperson is on their game!
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Yeah, it’s gone from 61kWh useable to 67kWh useable, and charge speed has increased from 115kW to 133kW. I’m not sure if the charge curve is improved, but I’ve only public charged once in the 11 weeks I’ve had mine.

I suspect the biggest difference coming from an ID3 will be feel of the interior space. You feel quite ensconced in the Polestar, which I really like, but it’s very different to the open and airy feel of an ID3.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

How’s the efficiency been compared to the id3 Andrew?
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

MotMot wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:13 am How’s the efficiency been compared to the id3 Andrew?
I never had an ID.3, just had one on order for 5 months, so can’t compare. However, mine is averaging 32kWh/100 miles, best I’ve seen was 4.1 miles per kWh, so theoretically 250 miles. I’ll be honest though, I don’t tend to drive it with efficiency in mind!
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Cheers. Forgot you’d been waiting for ages!

Having just got back from IKEA (ugh) with partner, small child and a right load of flat packed furniture - I’m reminded how versatile and practical the ID3 is… it’s as if she knows there may be a rival!

😁
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

So... just back from my test drive.

The Polestar 2 is a lovely car. I like the design, the looks and how it drives. Stand out features for me were:
1. The UI - the large touchscreen and drivers display were excellent. Easy to use and the google navigation (with charging and consumption) was great.
2. Very comfortable. It brings all of Volvo's experience with ergonomics and comfort.
3. Drives and handles well - I drove a single motor (FWD) and it delivered the power really well - no understeer, torque steer or scrabble.

But... it made me realise what an excellent car the ID3 is.. Where I thought the ID3 did better was...

1. ID3 was quieter - noticably less road noise (and wind) - notably any small stones flicked up by the P* rattled in the wheel arches.
2. the ID3 has no rattles - there were creaks, the odd rattle and strange plasticy noise in the P* - I was very surprised! Whilst at first touch the plastics on the P* feel better they are quite thin and noisy..
3. The boot: This was a disappointment from the P*. Its about the same size - except the VW is about as deep as it is from front to back - whereas the P* is shallow - but extends further front to back. I don't think I'd get anything more in the P*. Bear in mind the P* is 20+ cm longer than the ID3...
4. D mode. This works so well you don't notice it working (until you drive a car without it)... really clever bit of SW/regen/braking/driving thing. Well done VW. 3

They have quite different driving positions - VW is a bit higher - much more glass space and a feeling of roominess - P*is lower slung, large centre console. I liked both TBH - just different.

They are both excellent cars - but I'm not tempted enough... Made me appreciate what a great bit of work the ID3 actually is..

I would like a bit more range - and tempted to put in an order for a 77kwh Cupra (£40k) but god knows when it might arrive - and I wish I could simply have a 5 seat Tour! (Pro S as it is in Europe!).
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Re. your comments on D mode, did you not try the different regen settings on the Polestar?
VW up! GTI / Tungsten