Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:31 pm
Yes, I get both your points. It’s just that the re circulation issue seemed a bit unintuitive from what I’ve done in previous ICE cars.
I've fine the recirculation thing for years. The main difference between EV and ICEthough is that for theID3/Born, the front end is quite closed, and the aircon doesn't get much more efficient with deeds as a result. On tge other hand, on a very open front end of an ICE car, the aircon is so much more efficient at motorway speeds, with all that air rushing over the aircon radiator/heat exchanger.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Well, I swayed backwards and forwards about buying or not buying the Born last night, decided this morning to go for it, emailed and then rang the dealer first thing... looks like the white one isn't available 😡, so I've said I'd prefer a vapor grey, but would have white if he can get one.

Haven't heard back from him today 😥, so will chase up tomorrow and ring a few other dealers to see what stock they have.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Blackeunos wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:13 pm Well, I swayed backwards and forwards about buying or not buying the Born last night, decided this morning to go for it, emailed and then rang the dealer first thing... looks like the white one isn't available 😡, so I've said I'd prefer a vapor grey, but would have white if he can get one.

Haven't heard back from him today 😥, so will chase up tomorrow and ring a few other dealers to see what stock they have.
Have a look on Autotrader too, or look up the Cupra dealers on the website and ring a few of those (not all Seat dealers are Cupra dealers).

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yeah that’s how I sourced my Tour. Ad went live at 8am on Mondays- I enquired at 9:30. Had a call back - had paid the deposit an hour later. Got to be ready to move fast. But sounds like you know what you want.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Got a call back and they can get a V1, but it's got the typhoon alloys on, at a cost of £705. I was tempted, but don't like the black and silver wheels with the grey car and copper accents! 🤯

If it had been the typhoon wheels with the copper accents or the standard V1 wheels I'd have been all over it!

Now he's saying the wait time for a factory order is 12-18 weeks, so around October, and they'd guarantee the difference in the Px/finance balance, as obviously any book drops will be balanced out a bit by the further payments I'll be making.... BUT I WANT IT NOW!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Blackeunos wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:53 pm Got a call back and they can get a V1, but it's got the typhoon alloys on, at a cost of £705. I was tempted, but don't like the black and silver wheels with the grey car and copper accents! 🤯

If it had been the typhoon wheels with the copper accents or the standard V1 wheels I'd have been all over it!

Now he's saying the wait time for a factory order is 12-18 weeks, so around October, and they'd guarantee the difference in the Px/finance balance, as obviously any book drops will be balanced out a bit by the further payments I'll be making.... BUT I WANT IT NOW!
I haven't seen a single stock Born on Autotrader or anywhere else with the Copper wheels, you do know that the copper accents are just a tint in the clear coat? I do think the 19" typhoon wheels are the best looking of the range, and the 18" cyclone wheels don't come in copper either. \so the supplying dealership are basically going to trouser the capital part of your next 5 months payments in guaranteeing your p/x? Doesn't sound like a great deal to me. For a factory fresh order, 12-18 weeks seems massively optimistic - I was quoted 18-32 weeks when i got my test drive at Sunderland, which seems more in line with ID3 expectations. Have you tried any other dealers for any other colour/spec combos?

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:30 pm so the supplying dealership are basically going to trouser the capital part of your next 5 months payments in guaranteeing your p/x? Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.
5 months of payments is about £750-800 tops in the capital repayment (my monthlies are very low). Hopefully the value of the px stays strong and I end up a few hundred quid better off, I'd be checking book prices, and changes from now. Always good to have a guarantee for certainty.
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:30 pm For a factory fresh order, 12-18 weeks seems massively optimistic - I was quoted 18-32 weeks when i got my test drive at Sunderland, which seems more in line with ID3 expectations.
He did say the V1 is the shortest of lead times, the V2 and V3 he said were about double. Could be a load of rubbish, but I am checking with a different dealer.
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:30 pm Have you tried any other dealers for any other colour/spec combos?
Waiting to hear back from one tomorrow, going to chase them up tomorrow morning.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I would take that V1 lead time comment from the dealer witha pinch of salt. The V2 will have 99% of the same components the V2 has. Unless there's a specific V2 spec part in fairly short supply, I suspect the dealership is talking bollards.

Once the initial demo intended stock is sold, I expect factory fresh orders to be broadly in line with the ID3's lead times.

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:29 am I would take that V1 lead time comment from the dealer witha pinch of salt.
To be honest, I take everything car sales men say with a pinch of salt, most of them have zero interest in cars, they just want to take as much money from you as possible and get their commission. (Speaking from experience, I did it for 5 years, but was sick of ripping people of and treating them like crap!)

Thing is... my other half prefers the typhoon alloys 🤬, and its the first positive thing she's said about the car, so now I'm going to have to ring up and hope that the other person he had on the car (here's where the take what sales people say with a pinch of salt hopefully comes in🤞) hasn't bought it!
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Blackeunos wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:08 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:29 am I would take that V1 lead time comment from the dealer witha pinch of salt.
To be honest, I take everything car sales men say with a pinch of salt, most of them have zero interest in cars, they just want to take as much money from you as possible and get their commission. (Speaking from experience, I did it for 5 years, but was sick of ripping people of and treating them like crap!)

Thing is... my other half prefers the typhoon alloys 🤬, and its the first positive thing she's said about the car, so now I'm going to have to ring up and hope that the other person he had on the car (here's where the take what sales people say with a pinch of salt hopefully comes in🤞) hasn't bought it!
For what it’s worth my dealer said pretty much the same thing. If I factory ordered I’d probably be looking at November for a V1 and April for a V2 or V3.

It’s interesting yours had a V1 with typhoons like the one I’m getting. You can’t factory order them like that.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
MLB_ID3

Post by MLB_ID3 »

If you join a Cupra Born Facebook group you might find a dealer with a stock car that matches what you want. I'm on there and keep seeing them share with the group the stock they have.
Order date: 9th October
Spec: Family Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya Alloys
Original delivery estimates: March, April, May now Autumn
Previous build weeks: 19, 22
Estimated build week: 2022 wk38
** Cancelled **
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

MLB_ID3 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:49 pm If you join a Cupra Born Facebook group you might find a dealer with a stock car that matches what you want. I'm on there and keep seeing them share with the group the stock they have.
To be honest, it's a nightmare trying to contact dealers.

They rarely get back to you, you call and leave them messages and they take a day or two to ring you back, thats if they bother, it's almost like they don't want you money!

I contacted a few yesterday, gave them details of my px and what car I was looking for and they promised to get back to me and didn't bother.

The car I was offered this morning was still available, so I've put a deposit down on it and I should be picking it up next week. 😁

It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but only a little bit, life's too short.
ItshardtobuyId3

Blackeunos wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:58 pm
MLB_ID3 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:49 pm If you join a Cupra Born Facebook group you might find a dealer with a stock car that matches what you want. I'm on there and keep seeing them share with the group the stock they have.
To be honest, it's a nightmare trying to contact dealers.

They rarely get back to you, you call and leave them messages and they take a day or two to ring you back, thats if they bother, it's almost like they don't want you money!

I contacted a few yesterday, gave them details of my px and what car I was looking for and they promised to get back to me and didn't bother.

The car I was offered this morning was still available, so I've put a deposit down on it and I should be picking it up next week. 😁

It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but only a little bit, life's too short.
Which one did you go for?
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:35 pm Which one did you go for?
V1 in vapor grey and typhoon 19" alloys.

Now I've got to take the animated wing mirror repeaters I fitted a couple of weeks ago off, so I can put them on the Born.
ItshardtobuyId3

Blackeunos wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:42 pm

Now I've got to take the animated wing mirror repeaters I fitted a couple of weeks ago off, so I can put them on the Born.
Excellent, same as me but different colour then. I got the invite for my ID3 battery and software upgrade today…. Funny how things panned out. I’m hoping the Born has the equivalent of 3.0 on already!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:48 pm
Blackeunos wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:42 pm

Excellent, same as me but different colour then. I got the invite for my ID3 battery and software upgrade today…. Funny how things panned out. I’m hoping the Born has the equivalent of 3.0 on already!
My Born from stock was level 3.0. I would have thought all Borns will have 3.0 and appropriate 12v battery. I really like the 12" infotainment screen and operation.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Ooo, I forgot about the Tech pack L as well! Looking forward to the true keyless entry, don't think there's anything else in the pack I'm bothered about though!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's a pity you didn't go V2, the HUD is great. Our Borns have the L-Tech pack, most of these stock cars do. Never tried the Park assist yet.

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

The HUD would have been nice, as would the heated seats and tinted windows, but it just keeps pushing the price up.

I'm happy with the upgrades over the iD.3 Life, just had to draw a line somewhere.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Blackeunos wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:24 pm The HUD would have been nice, as would the heated seats and tinted windows, but it just keeps pushing the price up.

I'm happy with the upgrades over the iD.3 Life, just had to draw a line somewhere.
Yes, a line has to be drawn somewhere. I considered going the 77kWh battery route as I'll have a 235 mile journey each way once a month in my new job, but even the 77kWh doesn't have enough real motorway range to do that comfortably without needing to charge before the end of that journey, and itmakes a heavy lump very lardy,cutting the performance.advantage of the 230ps lump that I changed for.

For me though, the HUD seems a far more useful safety feature than the likes of the lane assist that appeased NCAP for simply allowing careless drivers to stay in lane without paying full attention.