Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:32 am
For me though, the HUD seems a far more useful safety feature than the likes of the lane assist that appeased NCAP for simply allowing careless drivers to stay in lane without paying full attention.
ROFL @ this.. the number of lane assist threads esp on Fb and I have just thought, perhaps the system is picking up that you wander all over the road i.e. doing it's job.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:43 am
For me though, the HUD seems a far more useful safety feature than the likes of the lane assist that appeased NCAP for simply allowing careless drivers to stay in lane without paying full attention.
ROFL @ this.. the number of lane assist threads esp on Fb and I have just thought, perhaps the system is picking up that you wander all over the road i.e. doing it's job.
The system would be fine if it worked as intended,but it doesn't- it either doesn't see (or chooses to ignore) obstacles in the road that narrow the useable lane, and pushes you back towards them when you're actively avoiding them.

Driving along a 40mph road with lots of people parked on the far left as there's no double yellow lines. You're driving wide of them, on a right-hand bias within the lane. Lane assist nudges you back towards them. For overtaking a cyclist,you'd indicate for the overtake and LA wouldn't intervene - that's fine, but to drive up a mile long road with cars parked along it, ate you going to leave your indicators on the whole way up?

Similarly, driving along some roadworks on the A19. The right hand lane of the dual carriageway has been narrowed by cones on the right hand side, so you take a left bias and the LA nudges you back towards the cones you're staying wide of (but still within your lane.

Similar story with the active speed limit detection systems when you're doing 70 on a dual carriageway with ACC and then the ACC jumps on the brakes in reaction to that 40mph limit it pinged up on a sliproad.

These systems are annoying and potentially dangerous because they don't work as well as they should. These systems only exist to mitigate idiocy,
so I turn them off.

The HUD is genuinely useful for keeping your eyes on the road.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
daern

Post by daern »

Oh well, better late than never but mine's now at the dealer and will be delivered next Wednesday (annoyingly, I missed the original email or I could have had it on Friday!)

For reference, this was ordered from Cupra when the order book opened back at the end of March so will have taken 4-ish months. Still no regrets on going for the Cupra over the VW, which would have had a delivery date of September that I think would have been very unlikely indeed.

It goes without saying that we're now quite excited!
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Blackeunos wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:24 pm The HUD would have been nice, as would the heated seats and tinted windows, but it just keeps pushing the price up.

I'm happy with the upgrades over the iD.3 Life, just had to draw a line somewhere.
Yes, a line has to be drawn somewhere. I considered going the 77kWh battery route as I'll have a 235 mile journey each way once a month in my new job, but even the 77kWh doesn't have enough real motorway range to do that comfortably without needing to charge before the end of that journey, and itmakes a heavy lump very lardy,cutting the performance.advantage of the 230ps lump that I changed for.

Lane assist should really be called Cyclist exterminator. It has to be the most counter productive safety feature ever devised.

It wouldn’t be quite so bad if it didn’t frequently think you were over white line when you were nowhere near it.

I was originally after a V2 but with the L pack they all seem to have and the expensive blue it all started getting a bit too costly.

Good news about the software, I’m hopeful that improves Cyclist exterminator!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The lane assist on my 22 tour is noticeably less severe than on my preceding 21 life… it’s now a gentle reminder rather than a gentle swerve…
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I've never had any issues with Lane Assist and certainly no more than a handful of occasions where it's tried (weakly) to move me into an object usually in those cases as I should have indicated.
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:56 pm
Lane assist should really be called Cyclist exterminator. It has to be the most counter productive safety feature ever devised.

It wouldn’t be quite so bad if it didn’t frequently think you were over white line when you were nowhere near it.

I was originally after a V2 but with the L pack they all seem to have and the expensive blue it all started getting a bit too costly.

Lane Assist is designed to stop you 'wandering' around in your lane and potentially drifting across into oncoming traffic, it's not doing it's job if it doesn't respond until after you cross a white line.

If you indicated when overtaking cyclists it wouldn't do it at all.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Deviating a little. I experienced emergency braking from my Born yesterday. I was moving very slowly passed parked cars in a retail park and as I passed someone loading their boot my car just stopped dead. At first I thought for a split second I had hit an object like a high curb but the car must have perceived it to be a severe hazard and emergency braked. I don't know if the Born has a diffent set up to my previous ID3 but in 8,000 miles that had never happened. Seemed a bit over sensitive.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Daveion wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:39 am Deviating a little. I experienced emergency braking from my Born yesterday. I was moving very slowly passed parked cars in a retail park and as I passed someone loading their boot my car just stopped dead. At first I thought for a split second I had hit an object like a high curb but the car must have perceived it to be a severe hazard and emergency braked. I don't know if the Born has a diffent set up to my previous ID3 but in 8,000 miles that had never happened. Seemed a bit over sensitive.
That's happened to me in my ID3. I would suspect it's the same system used in both cars.

Like a lot of others, I tend to turn Lane Assist when driving around single carriage roads, but I leave it on on motorways.
Having driven for nearly 50 years, I have never thought I needed such a system to help me, but that may not apply to everyone. As long as I can decide whether I use it or not, I'm OK with that, but if they mandate it, that would be a bridge too far for me.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Perhaps the FIA should make it mandatory.. might have a few less penalties.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Scratch wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:51 am
Daveion wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:39 am Deviating a little. I experienced emergency braking from my Born yesterday. I was moving very slowly passed parked cars in a retail park and as I passed someone loading their boot my car just stopped dead. At first I thought for a split second I had hit an object like a high curb but the car must have perceived it to be a severe hazard and emergency braked. I don't know if the Born has a diffent set up to my previous ID3 but in 8,000 miles that had never happened. Seemed a bit over sensitive.
That's happened to me in my ID3. I would suspect it's the same system used in both cars.

Like a lot of others, I tend to turn Lane Assist off when driving around single carriage roads, but I leave it on on motorways.
Having driven for nearly 50 years, I have never thought I needed such a system to help me, but that may not apply to everyone. As long as I can decide whether I use it or not, I'm OK with that, but if they mandate it, that would be a bridge too far for me.
ItshardtobuyId3

G43FAN wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:38 am I've never had any issues with Lane Assist and certainly no more than a handful of occasions where it's tried (weakly) to move me into an object usually in those cases as I should have indicated.
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:56 pm

Lane Assist is designed to stop you 'wandering' around in your lane and potentially drifting across into oncoming traffic, it's not doing it's job if it doesn't respond until after you cross a white line.

If you indicated when overtaking cyclists it wouldn't do it at all.
The road I drive down to work has a cycle lane and I don’t see why I should have to indicate to give them a bit of extra clearance to avoid the sodding car thinking it knows better and yanking me back towards them.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

LA is definitely a solution to a problem I never had, and as such, only introduces hazards where previously there were none, when it decides where in a lane you should be, rather than allowing the driver to decide. I wonder whether for those with parking assist, LA could be (or is) integrated with those side sensors to keep you away from things on the side of the road you're going wide to avoid?

I have park assist on my Born,never used it, turned LA off with OBD11 as soon as I could, and the car's better for it.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:38 am
It is fine to wander within your lane, oncoming traffic should not be in your lane. Some people favour the left or right side within their lane, and there's nothing strictly wrong with thar. It needs to get better at detecting obstacles in your lane and putting you between the obstacle and the other lane marking before I'd willingly leave it on.

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

So do we know which software version all of these Borns are being delivered with?
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Blackeunos wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:54 pm So do we know which software version all of these Borns are being delivered with?
3.0 - no battery update needed

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

🥳 that's almost worth paying extra for!
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
ItshardtobuyId3

Got mine today. It really is a much nicer car as far as I’m concerned. Especially the inside, it just feels a lot more special.

Cyclist exterminator seems even more aggressive when it kicks in as the steering is so light but it does seem a little bit less keen to activate for no reason. Interestingly it does say in the description in the infotainment that it’s to stop you leaving the lane accidentally, not keep you in the middle.

Now I need to work out how to get the lane assist as a big icon so I can turn it off super quick. I’ve seen it setup like that on YouTube but if I add the car to it I just get, parking assistance, ambient lighting and driver mode if I swipe up and down. Can’t work it out lol

Tried out parking assistance. Did an amazing job of parallel parking but made a complete meal of reverse parking at the supermarket and I ended up looking a complete tit when I tried to take over and the car wouldn’t move :lol:
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:58 pm
Now I need to work out how to get the lane assist as a big icon so I can turn it off super quick. I’ve seen it setup like that on YouTube but if I add the car to it I just get, parking assistance, ambient lighting and driver mode if I swipe up and down. Can’t work it out lol

Tried out parking assistance. Did an amazing job of parallel parking but made a complete meal of reverse parking at the supermarket and I ended up looking a complete tit when I tried to take over and the car wouldn’t move :lol:
Maybe someone on here is localish to you that had OBD11 and can make your lane assist remember your last setting e.g. you turn it off and it stays off until you turn ut on again.

If you're not far from Tyneside, I could help.

ItshardtobuyId3

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:32 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:58 pm

Maybe someone on here is localish to you that had OBD11 and can make your lane assist remember your last setting e.g. you turn it off and it stays off until you turn ut on again.

If you're not far from Tyneside, I could help.
Thanks but I’m in Gloucestershire. Think I’ll have to bite the bullet and get it.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Hi guys, I can't help directly without having the same charger, but lots of people have had similar issues. If you are seeing unreliable and/or low power scheduled charging then I would recommend the following steps:
1) see if it works properly at the full rate if you just set it to charge immediately
2) if it does then if you are scheduling with the car, try scheduling via the charger, and vice versa
3) if it works when plugged in to charge immediately but not when scheduled via the charger, then the problem is either with the charger or with the interface between it and the car. The ID3 is sensitive to charge schedules that include pauses in the middle and/or lots of variable charging rates. You should contact your charger manufacturer as they may have seen the problem before and have a ready-made solution (Ohme, for example, definitely have and were able to remotely modify the way it sends the schedule to the car so that it now always works). If that doesn't get you anywhere it's also worth setting a schedule that requires the charger to send the full 7.x kw for the period you have set so that it doesn't schedule a pause or reduced rate. You can always then limit the charge in the car. (Some chargers, if asked to provide less than they are able to in a given period, will programme something complicated that the car doesn't like.)
Good luck.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.