Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 pm I’ve just jumped ship to a Born. By some miracle my local dealer had one I a liked new in the showroom. It’s a V1 in Aurora blue with Typoon wheels and Tech pack L.

It’s so much nicer inside and was surprised how different it was to drive. Getting it next Friday. That’s the shortest I’ve ever owned a car but they are giving me more than I paid for it in PX so nothing to lose apart from £55 a month more!
Are you sure you wouldn't get more through motorway for your ID3?

What do you mean by different to drive? The V2 is marginally sharper on the steeering/handling by virtue of the 19" wheels and lower profile tyres, the V1 on 18" wheels that I test drove first drove no better than my Life Pro-perfornance, so I don't think there are any suspension/damping differences. It seemed marginally better.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

I probably could get more money if I could be arsed but it’s just easier doing a straight PX.

The one I’m buying is on the same wheels as a V2. You can’t spec them like that (I tried today) so it must be a dealer order only or something.

The suspension is a bit harder and there was less body roll. The throttle response was more like my id3 in sport mode whist in comfort mode. It just felt better to drive kbut I didn’t think it would. I liked it much more. Apparently it is lowered.

The only thing I didn’t like was the volume control on the steering wheel. It is very counter intuitive. I had to have it explained to me to use it .

This is the one but it’s a V1

4AFF78FC-80D3-4F93-A0CD-006D6017F7C4.jpeg

ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

So are peoples experience of motorway that you tend to get the price, possibly a touch more?

Just been quoted £33,822 for my Life Pro, Sept 71 plate, with 9k miles.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
ItshardtobuyId3

Blackeunos wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:58 pm So are peoples experience of motorway that you tend to get the price, possibly a touch more?

Just been quoted £33,822 for my Life Pro, Sept 71 plate, with 9k miles.
I just tried mine on there and got an initial valuation of £35098. Webuyanycar did £35000 and I’m being given £34000 in PX (that’s not what they offered to start with though). I still just find it completely bonkers that I can trade in a car for more than I “paid” for it.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

WBAC seemingly ALWAYS knock money off. Not really heard that being the case with Motorway.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:09 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 pm I’ve just jumped ship to a Born. By some miracle my local dealer had one I a liked new in the showroom. It’s a V1 in Aurora blue with Typoon wheels and Tech pack L.

It’s so much nicer inside and was surprised how different it was to drive. Getting it next Friday. That’s the shortest I’ve ever owned a car but they are giving me more than I paid for it in PX so nothing to lose apart from £55 a month more!

What do you mean by different to drive? The V2 is marginally sharper on the steeering/handling by virtue of the 19" wheels and lower profile tyres, the V1 on 18" wheels that I test drove first drove no better than my Life Pro-perfornance, so I don't think there are any suspension/damping differences. It seemed marginally better.
When I test drove the Born they "couldn't find the V2 they had in stock", only the keys, so I test drove a V1. I did notice the slightly different driving position (lower) than my ID3, but that was all I noticed. When I drove away in my ID3 I remember thinking to my myself, "I think I prefer this car". But you can't deny the Born has a better looking exterior, and better cabin.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Got some thinking to do tonight...

Went to see a V1 with L pack in vapor grey... sold this morning 🙁

They have a V1 with L pack in white that they can get hold of, but that's got the cost of extra paint on, which I'm not wanting to pay, but I do quite like the white.

They got my iD.3 Life Pro, with 9.6k miles on underwritten by a vw dealer for £32750, which isn't bad really.

But the costs starting to creep up from where I'm at, and didn't really want to go above.

I really need to do a comparison of the spec of the Life Pro v V1 with L pack.

Sorry, going to think out loud...

V1 L pack

Pros
- brand new, 0 miles
- alloys
- bigger media screen (did seem noticeable to me)
- bucket seats
- extra 50ps
- keyless entry
- Reverse camera

Cons
- no heated seats
- no auto dimming rear view mirror
- dash plastics did seem shinier and harder

Unsure and need to check
- pretty sure the spec list said the L pack added a heated s/wheel, but cupra Sunderland said it didn't
- does the Born have ambient lighting? YES
- is there a similar thing to the iD light?

The difference in cost is £30/month (£1410 total) and an extra £1350 on the GFV, so £2760. Obviously with this being man maths it ignores the 10 payments of £208 I've paid on the iD.3 already.

When I ssk my other half, all she says is its up to you, I don't k ow why you're even thinking of changing, do what you want. 🤯 This is probably code for, buy it and you can not say anything about the number of coats, shoes and bags that I will be able to buy!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Don’t forget it’s a year younger…
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

So both dealers told me the V1 doesn't come with a heated steering wheel, but the spec in the brochure says it does! Anyone confirm if it does, or doesn't?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Blackeunos wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:43 pm So both dealers told me the V1 doesn't come with a heated steering wheel, but the spec in the brochure says it does! Anyone confirm if it does, or doesn't?
I jumped into a V2 and have yet to cancel my 2nd ID3 that has been on order since 09/09. I don't know a great deal about the V1 spec but the interior alone is worth the change in my view.
Some of the plastic trim does seem a bit hard but I weigh that up with the extent of recycled materials that are used. I'm sure I read that the mats are made largely from plastics taken from our oceans.
Then there is its looks. I think the ID3 and Born are both good looking cars but there is something about the front end of the Born, the body coloured roof and the rear end that just seems so more pleasing on the eye.
The car is a fraction lower and although I doubt if there is any suspension differences to the ID3 the drive is a tad sharper.
All of these features are true of the V1 and V2.
I am so glad I switched.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Daveion wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:58 pm I am so glad I switched.
So, can I ask, does your V2 have the heated steering wheel? And a reversing camera?

Been thinking, and the extra 50hp was £1300 extra on the iD.3, and the 18" East derry alloys were £650, so there's the justification for the extra £2k to change right there! Plus there's the bucket seats, optional white paint, nicer (subjective) interior...

I have a feeling I may be calling the dealer this morning...
AuroraBlue

Post by AuroraBlue »

Long time lurker with a Family Pro on order since last November. Still no build date!
Sat in a Born a couple of weeks ago and loved the comfort of the seats and the larger screen.
Long story short, ordered a stock V2 car in the colour and spec I wanted and will take delivery within 3 weeks.
Cancelled order of ID3. No trade in or part exchange as current car is on a lease that has been extended on a daily basis.
Would have liked the matrix lights, but only good at night! The head up display is a nice addition.
Excited to take delivery, yet to see one in the wild so am expecting lots of “what is it?” questions next weekend.
MLB_ID3

Post by MLB_ID3 »

AuroraBlue wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:11 am Long time lurker with a Family Pro on order since last November. Still no build date!
Sat in a Born a couple of weeks ago and loved the comfort of the seats and the larger screen.
Long story short, ordered a stock V2 car in the colour and spec I wanted and will take delivery within 3 weeks.
Cancelled order of ID3. No trade in or part exchange as current car is on a lease that has been extended on a daily basis.
Would have liked the matrix lights, but only good at night! The head up display is a nice addition.
Excited to take delivery, yet to see one in the wild so am expecting lots of “what is it?” questions next weekend.

I did the same. I had a family ID3 on order since Oct and the last update pushed the build to wk 38 with no guarantee that would be met or the gov grant being honoured. Si i cancelled and bought a stock Born V2. I don't regret it. Ideally I'd like a pano roof but during these time of supply and production challenges I decided to go with a stock car. In a few years I might come back and have a look at the ID range for my next car. The Born is a great car (as is the ID3 as they're on the same platform). I think you won't regret it.
Order date: 9th October
Spec: Family Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya Alloys
Original delivery estimates: March, April, May now Autumn
Previous build weeks: 19, 22
Estimated build week: 2022 wk38
** Cancelled **
ItshardtobuyId3

Blackeunos wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:43 pm So both dealers told me the V1 doesn't come with a heated steering wheel, but the spec in the brochure says it does! Anyone confirm if it does, or doesn't?
My dealer told me it does have a heated steering wheel but not seats. Know idea if it’s right though.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:32 am

When I test drove the Born they "couldn't find the V2 they had in stock", only the keys, so I test drove a V1. I did notice the slightly different driving position (lower) than my ID3, but that was all I noticed. When I drove away in my ID3 I remember thinking to my myself, "I think I prefer this car". But you can't deny the Born has a better looking exterior, and better cabin.
When I drove the V1 demo on the standard 18" wheels, shod with Bridgestones like our ID3s were, it handled the same as the ID3s, I really don't think that the sustension geometry or shocks have been altered at all for the Born to make it drive more dynamically. The V2 on 19" wheels feels a little sharper, but I believe that's all down to being on better rubber (Continentals rather than the hard, crashy and poor grip Bridgestones) and a lower profile sidewall. A V1 n the V2 intended wheels will almost certainly handle like a V2, because i'm pretty sure that there's only the wheel/tyre differences between the 2 cars. Wheel arch gaps between the Born and the ID3 don't seem to indicate that the Born has lowered suspension vs the ID3, nor does the 230ps variant seem to have a lower/firmer suspension set up than the 204ps variant.

It's that long ago, but I did think at the time that the ID3 demo on 19" wheels drove a little better than my own on 18" wheels.

The "comfort" profile on the Born does feel marginally more aggressive than the ID3's, but that just shortens the difference between Comfort and Performance on the 204ps Born (very little difference, pretty much just the steering weighting) vs the difference between Comfort and Sport on the ID3.. On the V1 204ps demo I drove at Sunderland, Performance was no more aggressive or potent than Sport on my ID3, which makes perfect sense, seeing as they're both 204ps, with the same drive ratio and same top speed.

I can't remember from the V1 demo drive whether the comfort setting on my 230ps V2 has proportionately more go than that of the 204ps variant, or whether it and Performance are the same with only the "Cupra" mode of the 230ps variant having the full range of power without hoofing the accelerator beyond the clicky zone,

VAG have been doing these modes for ages now, with the premise that the lower output modes use less juice (either in ICE or EV variants), and they can do, as long as you don't end up pressing the accelerator pedal harder to get the same acceleration, and if you're using ACC, the lower output modes use less acceleration to recover to a set speed after having been slowed down by traffic. In reality, the range differences are marginal if you're a forward thinking driver who doesn't waste much momentum, especially if you're not using the ACC much. The biggest influence in Summer economy is in your aircon usage. If you have it on, put the recirculation on.

For me then, comparing the Born V1 on 18" wheels to an ID3 204ps on 18" wheels, or a V2 204ps on 19" wheels to an ID3 204ps on 19" wheels, the differences are just skin deep. For me, the Born is all about the sports seats, the more useful/better looking central console/armrest, and the nicer looking front end.

The Born may look like the hot hatch version of the ID3, but in reality, it handles no better and is no more chuckable in the twisties - they're both big, heavy lumps - but they do handle better than a Golf GTI carrying 20 bags of cement back from Wickes.

All Borns have a heated steering wheel, the V1 doesn't get heated seats, but the V2/3 do. The V2/V3's HUD is great too. The V2 has rear cam, not sure if the V1 does.

Motorway prices quoted are usually met or marginally exceeded by a few hundred quid. It's a quick process to know whether you'll get more. Apply and submit your photos 1 day and the next day the car is put up for auction from 8am to 3pm. By 3pm the day after you submitted, you know whether the car met its reserve, and even then, you're not obliged to sell until you confirm acceptance f the final price. If/when you do confirm, the buyer will send someone up to get your car within the week and pay you for it once they've made sure the description matches the condition. Would I go the motorway route for an extra few hundred quid? Nope? For a minimum of £1000 more though, I definitely would. I got £1200 more for my Life than the PX offer, but a whopping £4700 more for the Family (£33500 PX vs £38197).

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Blackeunos wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:25 am
So, can I ask, does your V2 have the heated steering wheel? And a reversing camera?

Been thinking, and the extra 50hp was £1300 extra on the iD.3, and the 18" East derry alloys were £650, so there's the justification for the extra £2k to change right there! Plus there's the bucket seats, optional white paint, nicer (subjective) interior...

Mine has the reversing camera. Haven't looked for the wheel heater as the first thing I normally do is switch them off 😂. I can look when I go out latter if not answered before.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:48 am
Blackeunos wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:25 am

Mine has the reversing camera. Haven't looked for the wheel heater as the first thing I normally do is switch them off 😂. I can look when I go out latter if not answered before.
It's there somewhere, I haven't found the need to use steering wheel heating (or seat heating), but I know the options are there to do so, as i've stumbled across them. My V2 has a few memory foibles in that it often reverts passenger climate specifically to 18.5C, with the drivers side being any other temp you left it at, and the mirror dipping sometimes won't work when you've selected reverse and "L" on the toggle switch.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:16 am
Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:32 am

When I drove the V1 demo on the standard 18" wheels, shod with Bridgestones like our ID3s were, it handled the same as the ID3s, I really don't think that the sustension geometry or shocks have been altered at all for the Born to make it drive more dynamically. The V2 on 19" wheels feels a little sharper, but I believe that's all down to being on better rubber (Continentals rather than the hard, crashy and poor grip Bridgestones) and a lower profile sidewall. A V1 n the V2 intended wheels will almost certainly handle like a V2, because i'm pretty sure that there's only the wheel/tyre differences between the 2 cars. Wheel arch gaps between the Born and the ID3 don't seem to indicate that the Born has lowered suspension vs the ID3, nor does the 230ps variant seem to have a lower/firmer suspension set up than the 204ps variant.

It's that long ago, but I did think at the time that the ID3 demo on 19" wheels drove a little better than my own on 18" wheels.

The "comfort" profile on the Born does feel marginally more aggressive than the ID3's, but that just shortens the difference between Comfort and Performance on the 204ps Born (very little difference, pretty much just the steering weighting) vs the difference between Comfort and Sport on the ID3.. On the V1 204ps demo I drove at Sunderland, Performance was no more aggressive or potent than Sport on my ID3, which makes perfect sense, seeing as they're both 204ps, with the same drive ratio and same top speed.

I can't remember from the V1 demo drive whether the comfort setting on my 230ps V2 has proportionately more go than that of the 204ps variant, or whether it and Performance are the same with only the "Cupra" mode of the 230ps variant having the full range of power without hoofing the accelerator beyond the clicky zone,

VAG have been doing these modes for ages now, with the premise that the lower output modes use less juice (either in ICE or EV variants), and they can do, as long as you don't end up pressing the accelerator pedal harder to get the same acceleration, and if you're using ACC, the lower output modes use less acceleration to recover to a set speed after having been slowed down by traffic. In reality, the range differences are marginal if you're a forward thinking driver who doesn't waste much momentum, especially if you're not using the ACC much. The biggest influence in Summer economy is in your aircon usage. If you have it on, put the recirculation on.

For me then, comparing the Born V1 on 18" wheels to an ID3 204ps on 18" wheels, or a V2 204ps on 19" wheels to an ID3 204ps on 19" wheels, the differences are just skin deep. For me, the Born is all about the sports seats, the more useful/better looking central console/armrest, and the nicer looking front end.

The Born may look like the hot hatch version of the ID3, but in reality, it handles no better and is no more chuckable in the twisties - they're both big, heavy lumps - but they do handle better than a Golf GTI carrying 20 bags of cement back from Wickes.

All Borns have a heated steering wheel, the V1 doesn't get heated seats, but the V2/3 do. The V2/V3's HUD is great too. The V2 has rear cam, not sure if the V1 does.

Motorway prices quoted are usually met or marginally exceeded by a few hundred quid. It's a quick process to know whether you'll get more. Apply and submit your photos 1 day and the next day the car is put up for auction from 8am to 3pm. By 3pm the day after you submitted, you know whether the car met its reserve, and even then, you're not obliged to sell until you confirm acceptance f the final price. If/when you do confirm, the buyer will send someone up to get your car within the week and pay you for it once they've made sure the description matches the condition. Would I go the motorway route for an extra few hundred quid? Nope? For a minimum of £1000 more though, I definitely would. I got £1200 more for my Life than the PX offer, but a whopping £4700 more for the Family (£33500 PX vs £38197).
To pick up on 2 of your points.
1. When I test drove the Born at the Seat dealer, they refused to offer any trade in value. That’s the first time ever I have experienced that attitude, even if the offer was derisory on other cars I have had in the past.
2. Interesting you say about leaving the aircon on recirculating. I always thought that you only did that to stop obnoxious fumes from entering the cabin. Doesn’t the air quality suffer?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:47 pm

1. When I test drove the Born at the Seat dealer, they refused to offer any trade in value. That’s the first time ever I have experienced that attitude, even if the offer was derisory on other cars I have had in the past.
2. Interesting you say about leaving the aircon on recirculating. I always thought that you only did that to stop obnoxious fumes from entering the cabin. Doesn’t the air quality suffer?
1. Maybe they didn't want to offend with a derisory value (unlikely,but possible)?

2. The recirculation is more efficient because its taking air you cooled already and only having to cool a little more to maintain atemperature cooler than ambient, rather than constantly cooling and dumping cooled air and starting again.

There's a bit of fresh air coming through all the time, otherwise you'd convert all the O2 in the car to CO2 and suffocate. When taken the other way - takes a lot more energy to heat the cabin by 15C in the Winter than by 5C.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:58 pm
Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:47 pm

1. Maybe they didn't want to offend with a derisory value (unlikely,but possible)?

2. The recirculation is more efficient because its taking air you cooled already and only having to cool a little more to maintain atemperature cooler than ambient, rather than constantly cooling and dumping cooled air and starting again.

There's a bit of fresh air coming through all the time, otherwise you'd convert all the O2 in the car to CO2 and suffocate. When taken the other way - takes a lot more energy to heat the cabin by 15C in the Winter than by 5C.
Yes, I get both your points. It’s just that the re circulation issue seemed a bit unintuitive from what I’ve done in previous ICE cars.