Looped, but to which house?

The place to discuss everything else..
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

Hi

Many months ago I ordered an ID.3 Max Pro, as part of that order I arranged for a charger to be installed. A electrician came round carried out a survey and sent a form off to Western Power Distribution. More time passes and the electrician arrives to fit the charger and informs me Western Power Distribution have given the green light to install the charger.

So time later a guy from Western Power Distribution arrives and looks inside the meter box on the side of our house and proclaims your house is part of a "loop", he then goes away.

More time passes, a second guy from Western Power Distribution arrives and checks that indeed the is a loop and the house next door is getting its power via our meter box and not directly from the mains on the other side of the road. He shows me an electrical map/plan that shows this.

Some days ago, the road was dug up, a new cable was laid. Western Power Distribution guys arrived to make the new connections and unloop our house.

Unfortunately, Western Power Distribution had got the wrong house, the plans they were working from were incorrect!

One of my neighbours now has a brand new 3 phase cable to the mains.
Our other neighbour on the other side is currently in blissful ignorance. Soon to be shattered.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Mark55 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:14 pm Hi

Many months ago I ordered an ID.3 Max Pro, as part of that order I arranged for a charger to be installed. A electrician came round carried out a survey and sent a form off to Western Power Distribution. More time passes and the electrician arrives to fit the charger and informs me Western Power Distribution have given the green light to install the charger.

So time later a guy from Western Power Distribution arrives and looks inside the meter box on the side of our house and proclaims your house is part of a "loop", he then goes away.

More time passes, a second guy from Western Power Distribution arrives and checks that indeed the is a loop and the house next door is getting its power via our meter box and not directly from the mains on the other side of the road. He shows me an electrical map/plan that shows this.

Some days ago, the road was dug up, a new cable was laid. Western Power Distribution guys arrived to make the new connections and unloop our house.

Unfortunately, Western Power Distribution had got the wrong house, the plans they were working from were incorrect!

One of my neighbours now has a brand new 3 phase cable to the mains.
Our other neighbour on the other side is currently in blissful ignorance. Soon to be shattered.

I think you can just add this to the pile of facepalm that is anything Western Power. My father's DNO is them, and they are apparently absolutely, categorically and irredeemably useless. They were probably holding the plans upside down when they started digging...

That said, are you sure it's a 3 phase supply ? That would be unusual in a UK domestic property. I'd expect you're currently on single phase supply, and the recipients of further unlooping will equally be on single phase supplies.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

I had a look at the new cable and asked the guys from Western Power Distribution why it was so much thicker than the cable it was replacing, I was told it was 3 phase cable.
They went on to say it had been wired up as 3 phase to the mains cable over the road, but only single phase in the meter box.

The houses in the road were all built around 1993/1994 and are all detached. They then checked several other houses (6) in the immediate area and all of them are part of a loop. 50% to the mains, 50% to the house next door!
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943