Driving style

The place to discuss everything else..
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

After looking on this forum and seeing various comments about range etc, I am interested to start a discussion on driving style and how those who have previously had either EVs or ICE cars feel their driving style has changed.

I have always been a cautious driver on UK roads, not one for speeding. Prior to the I.D.3, I had an i3 and it was a great game trying to maximise range from the 33kWh (27kWh usable) battery. This sometimes added time on to my journey but the priority was always efficiency. It turned into a game just adding a few miles here and there - particularly when it was the difference between stopping or just getting home!

I am intrigued to know how others are finding this - I have noticed the I.D.3 estimated range to be about accurate - but definitely get a bit more out of it through slipstreaming lorries, staying in the left lane at 64mph and making the most of the pre-heating settings. Saying that, with 100 miles more range than my i3, I am certainly less cautious because even longer journeys (200 miles plus) are doable with just 1 or 2 stops en route so perhaps this will change as I get used to the car.... :?

Thoughts?

BevTowcester

Post by BevTowcester »

Hi
I have now sold my Tesla Model S, and had it as main car from 2014 to recent
Great fun and yes you do change your driving style.
The main change comes from using regen breaking to the max and developing that one pedal only driving style.
The cruise control re-engagement was initially to vicious and this used a lot more power than necessary, and didn’t give the passengers a calm ride! A later software revision reduced the rate of acceleration once cruise was re-engaged.
The real fun is in making those journeys where you may be marginal for range and still having fun.
I used to do Towcester to Southampton regular at 102 miles each way.
On the out journey I would be cautious and on a motorway stick the cruise at 65 or 68
Then once arrived and finding you still had 55-60% battery remaining the return journey would become progressive faster or more accelerative and I would often arrive home with just 10 miles remaining. Having had a spirited drive also.
One point to note when you deplete the battery this much - put it on charge immediately . Don’t wait for overnight cheap rate or ‘tomorrow’. As leaving the battery this low for even short periods kills it long term.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

I did a short journey today and reflected on how my driving style has changed since switching to EV and my ID.3. I find I drive generally more slowly, steadily, more relaxed. I revel in pulling away smoothly using the amazing EV always-available torque.
In an ICE vehicle with a manual gearbox, I was used to driving at optimum speeds in different gears. Particularly you get used to the gear in which you can drive in a 30MPH limit area. Often there's a gear that lets you drive at 30, but if you let the speed drop much below 30, the engine labours and won't pull without changing down a gear. So in 30MPH limit areas I was often driving at 30 or 31MPH, but now I'm not subject to such limitations and find myself driving at 27 or 28MPH.
I find I enjoy the calm, peaceful atmosphere in the cabin, and drive in a manner that won't disturb that. I know I have plenty of power available under my right foot, but I'm yet to make use of it. And for the first time in my driving life, I don't feel the need to explore it.
It's a complete change of attitude to driving, and now all I need is for all the other road users to adopt my new calm driving style!
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:19 pm I did a short journey today and reflected on how my driving style has changed since switching to EV and my ID.3. I find I drive generally more slowly, steadily, more relaxed. I revel in pulling away smoothly using the amazing EV always-available torque.
In an ICE vehicle with a manual gearbox, I was used to driving at optimum speeds in different gears. Particularly you get used to the gear in which you can drive in a 30MPH limit area. Often there's a gear that lets you drive at 30, but if you let the speed drop much below 30, the engine labours and won't pull without changing down a gear. So in 30MPH limit areas I was often driving at 30 or 31MPH, but now I'm not subject to such limitations and find myself driving at 27 or 28MPH.
I find I enjoy the calm, peaceful atmosphere in the cabin, and drive in a manner that won't disturb that. I know I have plenty of power available under my right foot, but I'm yet to make use of it. And for the first time in my driving life, I don't feel the need to explore it.
It's a complete change of attitude to driving, and now all I need is for all the other road users to adopt my new calm driving style!
Completely agree with you about the above! I find that the driving style in both the i3 and I.D.3 has made me more relaxed and less bothered about speed.

The irony is, our last ICE car a few years ago was a VW Up! which did 0-60.....eventually (just kidding, about 12-14 secs), these two BEV cars have been a game changer with instant torque so it feels funny to have so much power under your foot but actually not be bothered about using it - I much prefer a slower driving speed now.

One thing that has definitely been great has been the ability to get power in situations where its needed - for quick acceleration on slip roads and roundabouts. That is the time I notice it the most.