Faulty new car

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Wadard

Post by Wadard »

Collected new ID3 Tour Pro S on 23 November. It repeatedly failed to start, needing resets. It's now back with dealer since 2 December and they don't know when it will be fixed.

I'm beginning to think I should ask for my money back and get something else.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

This is probably worth you looking through: https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/
ytshome

Post by ytshome »

I've just rejected a Merc GLE but I'd just suggest that before you get your money back make sure that there is something else available that you want before doing so. The second you get your money back any good will goes out of the window.....at least it did for me, to the point where they would only give me another one if I paid them £8,000 more than I had a month earlier.
Wadard

Post by Wadard »

So here we are, 28 December, with my brand new ID.3 still in bits at the dealer, Listers Leamington. They have done their best, managing unfamiliar problems and needing special tools difficult to locate. VW themselves do not appear to have been helpful. Someone rang me after responding to my complaining on Twitter, but then said they couldn't help when I asked him to assist dealer in finding special tools needed. He had no answer when I asked "So what is the point of this conversation?"

The dealer lent me a new (17 miles) Golf Estate to use pending repair of the ID.3, so he'll get a used one back. Very unsatisfactory all round, and the fault is squarely at the door of the manufacturer, delivering a new car with serious faults. Should he or I or both, claim for compensation?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Wadard wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:04 pm So here we are, 28 December, with my brand new ID.3 still in bits at the dealer, Listers Leamington. They have done their best, managing unfamiliar problems and needing special tools difficult to locate. VW themselves do not appear to have been helpful. Someone rang me after responding to my complaining on Twitter, but then said they couldn't help when I asked him to assist dealer in finding special tools needed. He had no answer when I asked "So what is the point of this conversation?"

The dealer lent me a new (17 miles) Golf Estate to use pending repair of the ID.3, so he'll get a used one back. Very unsatisfactory all round, and the fault is squarely at the door of the manufacturer, delivering a new car with serious faults. Should he or I or both, claim for compensation?
Not sure whether you have a home charger.and access to a cheap overnight charging rate currently, but if you do, filling up on Dinosaur juice will be costing you a lot more than charging would. You should really be able to expect an EV courtesy car if you have an out of action EV. I suppose currently with the new tech, disabling failures are disproportionately high.

If that newGolf Estate was expected to be a demo or courtesy car, the dealership won't be bothered that your first use made it a used car.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Wadard

Post by Wadard »

So I am now told the special tools required to rectify the fault the car was delivered with back in November won't be available until the end of January. So by then it will have been off the road at the dealer for TWO MONTHS. I wish I hadn't bought it.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I would reject this car immediately and then insist on retaining the loaner until they provide a replacement (assuming you want a replacement!)
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Wadard

Post by Wadard »

VW UK rang this afternoon to say they'd spoken to dealer and confirmed special tools were on "back order" and scheduled for delivery 28th January. No guarantees I imagine.

No suggestion of offering to see if other dealers might have them because "they might be in use".

They came across as complacent, and taking the customer for granted.

A depressing start to 2022, and I'm left wishing I'd bought something else. I see the SEAT version of the ID3 gets good reviews, and then there's the Kia.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

You’d be entirely within your rights to flat out reject the car. You have given them the opportunity to fix it but instead they’ve told you tools for the job aren’t available for two months.

I can almost guarantee that those tools would become available more quickly when under the threat of rejection. Remember you can always change your mind about rejecting the car before the very final paperwork to transfer ownership back to them is signed!
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Kwr68

Post by Kwr68 »

If it’s any consolation I know of some has jaguar I pace in which the heating stopped working in mid November and has been told he told he will not get it back till the end of January
Wadard

Post by Wadard »

Car still in bits at dealers, waiting for VW to produce tool required. They say it is on "back order" and should be available Jan 28th.

By far my worst new car experience. After 5 months on order it was delivered 23 November. After a week of starting failures it went back to dealers on 3 December and I might get it back end of January.

VW deliver a faulty new car and then take two months to repair it. Just a disgrace.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:09 pm
I can almost guarantee that those tools would become available more quickly when under the threat of rejection.
Given that the buyer may have got an EV grant, PCP contribution and discount, the car may be worth more than he paid.
The dealer would be happy for the car to be rejected, repair it and sell for a profit.

I doubt VW care if the car is rejected and will not provide tools any faster. What is one customer to them?

We know how VW acted in dieselgate, gave a software update, EGR's failed and did not care.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Wadard wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:55 pm Car still in bits at dealers, waiting for VW to produce tool required. They say it is on "back order" and should be available Jan 28th.

By far my worst new car experience. After 5 months on order it was delivered 23 November. After a week of starting failures it went back to dealers on 3 December and I might get it back end of January.

VW deliver a faulty new car and then take two months to repair it. Just a disgrace.

Rejection MUST be in your mind…
MattP

Post by MattP »

Wadard wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:04 pm So here we are, 28 December, with my brand new ID.3 still in bits at the dealer, Listers Leamington. They have done their best, managing unfamiliar problems and needing special tools difficult to locate. VW themselves do not appear to have been helpful. Someone rang me after responding to my complaining on Twitter, but then said they couldn't help when I asked him to assist dealer in finding special tools needed. He had no answer when I asked "So what is the point of this conversation?"

Interesting. Leamington is our local dealership, although it wasn’t ordered from there. Car coming for March 22.
Do they have much knowledge of EV’s, as when I went there they had loads of ID3/4s around the place.
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:09 pm
If you reject a car, do you keep the government grant and finance contribution, if you have paid off your car?

Eg Car = X, Grant = Y, finance deposit contribution = Z

Effective Payment = X - Y - Z

Do you get back:
1. X (full price minus dealer discount) ---> Keep grant and deposit contribution Yippee
2. X - Z (full price minus dealer discount - deposit contribution) ---> Keep grant only, lose finance deposit contribution
3. X - Y - Z (full price minus dealer discount - grant - deposit contribution) lose grant and deposit contribution. Boooh
4. X - Y (full price minus dealer discount - grant) Lose grant, keep finance deposit contribution.

Interesting to know. If (1) give it back!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:37 pm
If you reject a car, do you keep the government grant and finance contribution, if you have paid off your car?

Eg Car = X, Grant = Y, finance deposit contribution = Z

Effective Payment = X - Y - Z

Do you get back:
1. X (full price minus dealer discount) ---> Keep grant and deposit contribution Yippee
2. X - Z (full price minus dealer discount - deposit contribution) ---> Keep grant only, lose finance deposit contribution
3. X - Y - Z (full price minus dealer discount - grant - deposit contribution) lose grant and deposit contribution. Boooh
4. X - Y (full price minus dealer discount - grant) Lose grant, keep finance deposit contribution.

Interesting to know. If (1) give it back!
You won't get back any more than you actually paid out to buy the car - you won't be in profit rejecting the car!

You need a good reason to reject, a major fault (or series of smaller faults happening in relatively quick succession) that can't be fixed within a reasonable period of time. You may have deductions from your rejection settlement, depending on condition and mileage when you hand it back. The expectation is that if you reject at 5 months after scuffing a few alloys and putting 10k miles on the clock, you won't be offered 100% of your money paid back - all that is negotiable.

Generally considered easier to reject a car still under finance, as negotiation with the finance company is usually more straightforward than negotiation with the dealership who supplied.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Wadard wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:55 pm Car still in bits at dealers, waiting for VW to produce tool required. They say it is on "back order" and should be available Jan 28th.

The trouble with these forums is a lot of people seek them out to publicise their genuine tales of woe and to ask if others have experienced the same. That ends up giving a distorted view of reliability with a perceived view of far worse reliability than is the case.

If Wadard genuinely likes the car but is frustrated with the car being out of order, I'd be pushing for a replacement and use of a courtesy ID3 until it arrives, with a big reduction in PCP monthlies if financed.

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Is it a perceived view that the software on the ID.3, especially charging is useless or are the reports a distortion? Is the view actually true?

Is it a perceived view that the tyres on the ID.3 are poor or are the reports a distortion? Is the view actually true?
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Cherry wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:53 am Is it a perceived view that the software on the ID.3, especially charging is useless or are the reports a distortion?

Is it a perceived view that the tyres on the ID.3 are poor or are the reports a distortion?
We haven';t had any issues with charging and the Goodyear tyres on my wife's ID3 are great. In our case there are no problems with the ID3 but, like any product, there will be issues with some and these can be a disproportionate number odf posts on a forum. Many people would not even think of looking at a vehicle forum, even fewer for those who have no issues.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:53 am Is it a perceived view that the software on the ID.3, especially charging is useless or are the reports a distortion? Is the view actually true?

Is it a perceived view that the tyres on the ID.3 are poor or are the reports a distortion? Is the view actually true?

I think it’s well reported that there are issues with the vechicle charging settings on the ID.3 in all versions up to and including 2.3, that VW have acknowledged that and have said improvements are coming in 3.0. Whether that constitutes a subjective opinion of “useless” depends very much on your own individual perception.

As to tyres, my understanding on the perceived view is that the tyres overall on the ID.3 are no worse than any other manufacturer. I have a personal and profound opinion on fitting Bridgestone tyres as many here are well aware, but I certainly wouldn’t conflate my personal opinion of “Bridgestone tyres are poor” into “tyres on the ID.3 are poor”. I would be perfectly happy with Goodyears and Contis as fitter by VW to many ID.3’ s on the road.
Tesla Model Y Long Range