ID.3 1st software update

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I just bought a used ID.3 1st and went to pick it up on Friday to find that the VW dealer had tried to do a routine software update on the car, which had gone wrong and had apparently rendered it undrivable. They originally said they wouldn't be able to fix it until last Monday, but its now almost a week later and I still don't have the car.

I'm now getting pretty nervous about buying a car that can be rendered undrivable for a week or more by a "routine software update". Does anyone have any insight into what could have gone wrong, why its taking so long to fix and how long these things usually take? I would've expected a failed software update to just be a case of wiping it and reinstalling. Is there no way for them to roll back the update and let me take the car away until they've figured out how to update it successfully?

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Really depends on where your car is and what version they are trying to get to and of course what they are reporting as the fault.
As a 1st it should have had at least the 2 updates to get it to version 2.1... From there the next update is 2.3 which should be OTA.

Initial Software versions Should have been
0564 > 0570
0570 > 0783 (2.0)
0783 > 0792 (2.1) Q2 2021

then 2.3 is the first big OTA update.

There is a 2.4 update in the pipeline but I would be surprised if that was the update in question it won't be available until next year.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I'm getting basically no information from the dealer other than "we're waiting for VW in Germany". Absolutely no time scales or anything. The dealer is saying they can't tell me how long it'll be because its waiting on VW rather than being a thing the dealer themselves can fix, and I'm asking them why VW can't give them an estimated time to fix.

The car was the dealer's demo car, registered September 2020 and I'm left wondering why the updates haven't been applied when they were released instead of waiting until they've sold it. Getting tempted to cancel the order. :(
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I'd guess it was on 2.0 (or earlier) and they were trying to get it onto 2.1 - that's the enabler for OTA updates.

You would think that a demo car would be updated to the latest version, but I've heard numerous instances of demo cars being outdated.

There are some control units which don't take the new software - sometimes this leaves the car drivable and sometimes not.

The workshop are reliant on the factory in terms of the actions they can take next - it might be they are waiting for an updated piece of software, or an unlock code to be able to re-attempt the update, or even a new control unit.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks. I guess I'm just finding it very frustrating to have absolutely no idea when it's going to be sorted - the initial indications were a day or 2 and now they just wont give me any kind of time frame at all so I have no idea if its going to be delivered to me tomorrow or in 2 months time!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Well, the car was delivered on Monday. Looks like it is running 2.1, so I wonder if I will ever get 2.3 OTA or if I'm stuffed. :-/
Deleted User 192

SteveH wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:05 pm Well, the car was delivered on Monday. Looks like it is running 2.1, so I wonder if I will ever get 2.3 OTA or if I'm stuffed. :-/

Email iddirect@volkswagen.de from the address associated with the account you use for the We Connect ID. app, ask them about 2.3.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:24 pm Email iddirect@volkswagen.de from the address associated with the account you use for the We Connect ID. app, ask them about 2.3.
Thanks - I've dropped them an email. I've also asked why I get "this function is unavailable" if I try to use the voice control to demist the windows (other climate related things seem to be controllable through voice control, so a bit of a surprise that demisting doesn't seem to work).
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I got back this reply, which might be of interest to other people.
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services,

All our new customers who are currently enrolled to We Connect and have not received the relevant opt in email of the 2.3 OTA campaign, will receive an opt-in mail at the end of Calendar week 02 of 2022.

That means that at the end of the second week of 2022, an email will be sent to your registered Volkswagen email account and you will be asked to provide your consent that you wish to download the 2.3 OTA update.

Once the consent has been provided and the vehicle is online (white globe showing on your infotainment system screen), the infotainment system will be searching in a weekly basis for the available 2.3 OTA update, since the update will be streamed in waves and not at once to all of our customers.

We would like to thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience thus far and we wish we have been of yours assistance.

Should you face any difficulty or for any further digital services related inquiries, please know that you may reply to this e-mail or call us on our direct line 0800-2797508 (around the clock, 7 days a week).
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

Meanwhile, a family member with a Model 3 received a software update yesterday morning with the extra feature (the following vid isn't their car, but an online example of the feature):

Watched it in real life last night. Impressive.

I've asked VW twice via email about the 2.3 update. Twice I've been given the no-timescale, holding-pattern response. Even the timescale above is about as defined as 'the end of time'

Come on VW, give us 2.3, please.
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
Kirkbysteve

Post by Kirkbysteve »

Finally today (29th December) I have finally received notification of the OTA update ready to install. As per previous threads, warning signs came on and remained on until I stopped. The goodbye screen on getting out of the car notified me of the update and once lights switched off left the car to download first download.
🤞 awaiting download now whilst car parked in strong 4G mobile signal

For information, the VW email to indicate opt in to the software update arrived on 1st October 2021. The ID3 First Edition was purchased in December 2020
Deleted User 192

Kirkbysteve wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:53 pm Finally today (29th December) I have finally received notification of the OTA update ready to install. As per previous threads, warning signs came on and remained on until I stopped. The goodbye screen on getting out of the car notified me of the update and once lights switched off left the car to download first download.
🤞 awaiting download now whilst car parked in strong 4G mobile signal

For information, the VW email to indicate opt in to the software update arrived on 1st October 2021. The ID3 First Edition was purchased in December 2020

It’s already downloaded ready to install if you were offered it on the goodbye screen, just leave the car for 70 minutes…
Kirkbysteve

Post by Kirkbysteve »

Second download completed today 30th December, all without a hitch and non of the problems reported by others.

EFEE0441-3A05-4A6A-B078-53299322B18F.jpeg

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Interesting SatNav version, keep an eye on that and see if it updates, I've been 5 months now without a change.
Kirkbysteve

Post by Kirkbysteve »

Noticed that the navigation isn’t as current as versions on here. This hasn’t concerned me much as I tend to use Apple Maps for navigation.
Deleted User 314

Kirkbysteve wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:06 pm Noticed that the navigation isn’t as current as versions on here. This hasn’t concerned me much as I tend to use Apple Maps for navigation.
Same here, just curious about that particular stealthy update :)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

It was mentioned on FB that the Sat Nav updates are driven by location. So if the area you predominantly drive around hasn't had any updates, the version won't update. If you were to drive into an area where your current map date has been updated then you will get an update.
Don't know the truth behind this, but frankly if VW can manage to get Nav updates to be so, then what the heck happened to the general updates.
Deleted User 314

G43FAN wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:16 pm It was mentioned on FB that the Sat Nav updates are driven by location. So if the area you predominantly drive around hasn't had any updates, the version won't update. If you were to drive into an area where your current map date has been updated then you will get an update.
Don't know the truth behind this, but frankly if VW can manage to get Nav updates to be so, then what the heck happened to the general updates.
You solved it! Car only updates itself if you drive somewhere new. Hahaha sorry. 😀😀😀
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:16 pm It was mentioned on FB that the Sat Nav updates are driven by location. So if the area you predominantly drive around hasn't had any updates, the version won't update. If you were to drive into an area where your current map date has been updated then you will get an update.

They’ll have been developed by completely different teams to completely different specifications on completely different timelines.

Which is why they’ll have completely separate update procedures 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Alsaceid3

Post by Alsaceid3 »

Received message that update available, but instructed to turn off side lights before this can happen.
Can anyone enlighten me as to which lights they are referring to, and how to turn them off please?