Delayed charging

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

Anybody cracked delayed charging? I'm on octopus go and I'm struggling to get it working. Set home as a charging location and preferred time set to 0:30 to 4:30. Worked once but second time failed.

Rgascoigne71

Post by Rgascoigne71 »

Hi Kryten - I’ve tried it once. I’m not sure if its my charger or the car. TBH - i mostly run my ID3 down to just above 20% - so the amount of charge i need is over the 4 hour window. So i find myself pluggin in at 11pm and know I’ll get the full 4 hours regardless
roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

I see others struggling with this on facebook and other forums. I am only on the "classic" 0564 release but using an Ohme charger to get my 4 hours of Octopus Go per night :-)
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

So many Go users trying to squeeze in their charging into that window 😊

(I’m on Agile, and with the car on the 0570 software and a Pod Point I have no timed charging at all at the moment)

You could ask Octopus about Go Faster, you can get a longer window at a slightly higher rate with a different start time to the standard Go.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

My problem isn't with the tarrif, but the fact that the car only charges at about 1.5kw instead of 7.5kw when on timed charge. All other situations it charges fine.
Deleted User 192

Isn't there a "give me 80% by 04:30" option in the car?
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

I'm having problems with it too. It just seems overly complex, and not working properly. FYI, this is what I've noticed so far:

1) If I schedule a charge a short time (10 mins or so) in the future (and the car needs a lot of charge), then it wakes up as expected and it charges. However, if I push the start window out to at least an hour after I leave the car, the car does not reliably wake up to start the charge. If I wake the car up by using the fob to unlock/lock then it starts, but left to its own devices it just sleeps on and on.

2) The charge strategy sometimes pushes the charge time to as late in the charge window as possible. The car must be sensing the pilot pin max load indication and then working out how long a charge slot it needs to allow completion before the end of the allotted time. I personally think this is not ideal since it leaves you at risk of having less charge than you want.

3) On the other hand, the car sometimes seems to play around with the charge current it pulls - I think in an attempt to do a longer, slower charge over the whole window. However, I haven't figured out when it does this as opposed to just starting later. Very confusing.

4) If you try to force start a charge using the app when it's set for a timed charge, the charge will start, but a minute or two later it will stop and the car will set a red indicator on the charge port and then refuse to do any further charging until you remove and re-insert the charge lead.

5) If I use the "charge immediately" feature (charge to a limit 50% or lower), the car starts charging immediately, but it doesn't stop at the requested level.

6) I'm totally confused as to what "preferred times" and "scheduled departure" do in practical terms. If I just want to use the 4-hour cheap period from Octopus Go, what should I use?

The whole feature is just way too complicated IMHO. It seems the car is trying to be smart with charge windows and charging current, which would be fine if it worked, but it doesn't. A simple start/end time is really all that's needed. Who the hell in VW is making these decisions?, and why isn't there even some basic testing being done? It was apparent from the very first time I used these new features that they were not working properly.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

Agreed, seems they've complicated something which is simple. Used delayed charging on wife's zoe numerous times with no problems.
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

Well, I tried the schedule departure time option rather then preferred times last night but it failed. I left the car with the green light flashing and the battery at 43% charge. Woke up to the battery still at 43% charge and with the charge light showing constant red. How can VW release this junk?
RDR

Post by RDR »

been looking forward to getting this feature when we get v2.0 next week not so sure now. as an interim I installed a timer inside my evse to turn it on between 12 and 5 am I was expecting the id3 to have a hissy fit but so far its worked flawlessly maybe ill have to stick with it like this :-/. delayed charging in our previous BMW i3's was a simple as it could get this sounds like its a right mess.
CSRCH

Post by CSRCH »

Just wondering if anybody has found any novel ways of dealing with the delayed charging issues since the last post on this thread? My car has been updated with software version 2.1 but I am still experiencing the issues described. Thanks
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Hi,
I had/ have similar problems with delayed charging. I was only getting around 70%. Pod point checked the wall box , and everything seems ok there . They did mention it would reduce the charge if anything else was using it. But at midnight I don't think so, and to make sure the cable was in properly.

Last time , I did the following set the departure time to 04:30. Preferred times midnight to 04:30 , plugged the cable in at 22:00.

Partial success , it worked but charged up to 100%. I'm sure it was set to 80% !

Will have to wait for a few more days to try again , not doing many miles .....
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

It works for me on 2.0. I think it must depend on the charger quite a lot as well and how exactly the ‘handshake’ process works.

I’ve used the ‘departure time’ element since we had the car and that’s always worked; it means the car is warm and I have exactly the charge I want at departure time (80% normally) - but not really used ‘scheduled charging’ much - until we recently switched to Octopus Agile. I’m now scheduling charging in multiple ‘on/off’ chunks throughout the day/night depending on when the electricity is cheapest.....it works - car ‘wakes up’ every time and charges for that period. I’m using an Andersen A2 (scheduling on the charger as I don’t have to leave the sofa to do that!)
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Not sure, but isn't the charging locations max battery percent different from vehicle main menu?
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Omerdon

Post by Omerdon »

This isn’t on the app is it? Or via the car itself? I can’t see anywhere where I can set a charge start time. Am I missing something? I think I’m on 2.1 because I have wireless CarPlay and OTA.
Deleted User 192

Omerdon wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:12 pm This isn’t on the app is it? Or via the car itself? I can’t see anywhere where I can set a charge start time. Am I missing something? I think I’m on 2.1 because I have wireless CarPlay and OTA.

On the car.

Press Vehicle, go to Locations, save one, set the options you want.

It’s in the manual.
Omerdon

Post by Omerdon »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:45 pm [quote=Omerdon post_id=3602 time=<a href="tel:1616249565">1616249565</a> user_id=602]
This isn’t on the app is it? Or via the car itself? I can’t see anywhere where I can set a charge start time. Am I missing something? I think I’m on 2.1 because I have wireless CarPlay and OTA.

On the car.

Press Vehicle, go to Locations, save one, set the options you want.

It’s in the manual.
[/quote]

Ah ok thank you. Only got the car today. Still figuring things out
Derry

Post by Derry »

I too am struggling with this. Charging works OK on a plug in and go basis but even this is only after a try it and see basis session.
Can anyone tell me where I can find an idiots guide to charging N ID3?
When I say idiot I mean idiot!
Do you need to turn on ignition before you start?
When in charging can you ignore the Departure time settings? and move on to the start and end time settings?
After ticking thr box green do you close down the screen and turn off the infotainment system?
How should you set the charge immediately selection? 0 or 20 or 50?
How should you set the max charge -80?
After setting the above and then pluging in the charger can you lock the car and leave it?
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Derry wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:41 am I too am struggling with this. Charging works OK on a plug in and go basis but even this is only after a try it and see basis session.
When in charging can you ignore the Departure time settings? and move on to the start and end time settings?
After ticking thr box green do you close down the screen and turn off the infotainment system?
After setting the above and then pluging in the charger can you lock the car and leave it?
If all you want to do is charge now, then:
Simplest way to charge - is on the infotainment system go to Vehicle / Charge - set the maximum charge to 80%, get out of car, open charge flap and plug in cable - light by charge socket on car will go white when it recognises charger, then green when it is ready to charge and then pulse green while it is charging. Lock car and leave it to charge. When charging is complete light by charge socket will go out, then to remove cable you may need to click unlock on the key fob a couple of times, you can also remove cable even if charge isn't complete this way.
So basically ignore everything about from the maximum charge level, if you have set departure or start charging times then things get more complicated.
A couple of general guides on charging here https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/v ... ing-guide/ and https://pod-point.com/guides/vehicles/v ... /2020/id-3, otherwise have read of the manual, but it appears some of the timed / departure / app settings for charging are unreliable.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Derry wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:41 am I too am struggling with this. Charging works OK on a plug in and go basis but even this is only after a try it and see basis session.
The charge immediately thing threw me for a while.

What that means is, imagine the hypothetical situation, you have 20% of battery left and you want to do a delayed charge where you have 80% by 8am tomorrow. Charge immediately just means that as soon as you plug the car in, it will go to 50% straight away and then stop, and then continue later. For me that's fine as I pay the same rate of electricity regardless, but if you pay a lower rate overnight then you will want to set that lower.

I do feel like the whole charging section needs a better explanation, one day I may write one.