Total blackout of infotainment and instrument binnacle

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Hi, in 15 months of ownership I haven't experienced this before:

Mid-journey I heard a sharp 'click' or spark sound and both the infotainment and instrument binnacle screens went totally black. So... no speedometer even.

After a few seconds both displays began to reboot, and within about 30 seconds everything was back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? And was it a one-off, or a harbinger of further trouble?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Hi HeidiFlowerpt Driver
Not seen you here for a while.
Not heard of that one or any posts here over the months. One screen at a time but not both and the noise sounds like a main relay dropping out???
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

So many issues. I think it is safer to buy a car with a 7-year warranty than the poxy 3 year offered by VW.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Cherry wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:02 pm So many issues. I think it is safer to buy a car with a 7-year warranty than the poxy 3 year offered by VW.
Well that was very helpful!
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I have heard what sounds like sparking on a few occasions when first starting the car. Nothing untoward happened, thankfully, but I do wonder if there is a potential problem brewing. Is does make me wonder about what it will cost to repair, when outside the warranty period.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:45 am I have heard what sounds like sparking on a few occasions when first starting the car. Nothing untoward happened, thankfully, but I do wonder if there is a potential problem brewing. Is does make me wonder about what it will cost to repair, when outside the warranty period.
Are you sure it isn't a mild popping sound from the speakers? I have that maybe once a week, seems quite random, but never had it on any other VAG car I've owned (13 of them prior to the 2 ID3s)
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Cherry wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:02 pm So many issues. I think it is safer to buy a car with a 7-year warranty than the poxy 3 year offered by VW.
I'm getting fed up with your comments. Please don't post anything unless it's helpful or insightful.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

gailjon wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 am
I'm getting fed up with your comments. Please don't post anything unless it's helpful or insightful.
Here here
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Deleted User 1676

Post by Deleted User 1676 »

More flamebait.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:22 am
Scratch wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:45 am I have heard what sounds like sparking on a few occasions when first starting the car. Nothing untoward happened, thankfully, but I do wonder if there is a potential problem brewing. Is does make me wonder about what it will cost to repair, when outside the warranty period.
Are you sure it isn't a mild popping sound from the speakers? I have that maybe once a week, seems quite random, but never had it on any other VAG car I've owned (13 of them prior to the 2 ID3s)
I will try and take more notice from now on. It's such a quick, occasional event, which leads to nothing. It could well be the speakers, I suppose.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:27 am
I will try and take more notice from now on. It's such a quick, occasional event, which leads to nothing. It could well be the speakers, I suppose.
I have had what I think is the same noise on a few occasions too. Loud enough for me to think it is something serious but so far (touch wood!) everything seems to still be working OK when it happens. Only happened a handful of times in 12 months though, and always when first setting off I think.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Sherlock wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 am

I have had what I think is the same noise on a few occasions too. Loud enough for me to think it is something serious but so far (touch wood!) everything seems to still be working OK when it happens. Only happened a handful of times in 12 months though, and always when first setting off I think.
Actually, I get exactly this sometimes too. Only occasionally, and only when setting off. I also thought it might be coming from one of the dash tweeters.

I need to take the car in to have the misted up headlight replaced, and had already intended to flag this issue up at the same time.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

TheJimster wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:31 am

Actually, I get exactly this sometimes too. Only occasionally, and only when setting off. I also thought it might be coming from one of the dash tweeters.

I need to take the car in to have the misted up headlight replaced, and had already intended to flag this issue up at the same time.
It’s going to be one of those issues that they probably won’t be able to replicate, I would guess.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

gailjon wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 am
Go to settings and set me as "foe" then you will not see my posts.

Your post itself was not helpful or insightful. It was plainly pathetic. Please do not post pointless comments! :D
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Voodubber wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 am
More flamebait.
Really? Is it VW do not have confidence in its products to provide a 7 year warranty? Even the Chinese MG gives a 7-year warranty.
So does the South Korean Kia. 3 years warranty is really pathetic in this day and age.
To me, is sounds like VW stating it has little confidence in its cars.

The industry standard should be at least 7 years, and this set in law.

Look at ICE cars. USA EGR warranty is 10-years for all cars. UK is 3 years for VW. Something is not right.
EV is new technology for VW and untested with little reliability figures.
Deleted User 1676

Post by Deleted User 1676 »

Cherry wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:00 pm
Voodubber wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 am
More flamebait.
Really? Is it VW do not have confidence in its products to provide a 7 year warranty? Even the Chinese MG gives a 7-year warranty.
So does the South Korean Kia. 3 years warranty is really pathetic in this day and age.
To me, is sounds like VW stating it has little confidence in its cars.

The industry standard should be at least 7 years, and this set in law.

Look at ICE cars. USA EGR warranty is 10-years for all cars. UK is 3 years for VW. Something is not right.
EV is new technology for VW and untested with little reliability figures.
Really. It feels like you’re constantly goading people.

From your many comments:

You dislike and don’t trust VW, you think they are liars. You don’t particularly like the ID.3, but for some reason you’re buying two.

You’re on a forum with a lot of people who are patiently waiting for a long time for their cars to arrive but you casually mull over whether you actually want the car or will just flip it for a profit.

You ask questions and rally against any answer that you feel goes against your opinion. You happily tell other members to add you as a foe. Your comments often end up in arguments.

For someone who is so negative about all of this, and who claims to care less, you spend a great deal of time in a dedicated forum posting multiple times daily.

It’s flamebait. You’re trolling.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:48 am
TheJimster wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:31 am

It’s going to be one of those issues that they probably won’t be able to replicate, I would guess.
Indeed. That could well be the case, but I tend to take the view that if a car has to go to the dealers for anything, and there's a warranty in force, you've nothing to lose by reporting anything even slightly amiss. And if a more serious issue develops later as a result, you can't be accused of ignoring the initial problem.

There's always a chance that there's a service bulletin (this may not be the right terminology!) covering a problem you're experiencing. Equally, with something like this which seems to be affecting a few of us, but as you say is not necessarily something simple to diagnose, you'd hope that multiple reports of a similar problem would increase the chances of VW properly figuring out what's wrong.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Voodubber wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:36 pm
Really. It feels like you’re constantly goading people.

From your many comments:

You dislike and don’t trust VW, you think they are liars. You don’t particularly like the ID.3, but for some reason you’re buying two.

You’re on a forum with a lot of people who are patiently waiting for a long time for their cars to arrive but you casually mull over whether you actually want the car or will just flip it for a profit.

You ask questions and rally against any answer that you feel goes against your opinion. You happily tell other members to add you as a foe. Your comments often end up in arguments.

For someone who is so negative about all of this, and who claims to care less, you spend a great deal of time in a dedicated forum posting multiple times daily.

It’s flamebait. You’re trolling.
May be you like to live in a bubble and do not like an alternative view. This is very negative. You should open your mind to different views.

Do you think 3 years is sufficient warranty for a car? Do you think the view 3 years is pathetic is not valid? Why is this flamebait? It is a perfectly rational view.

You see to get upset if someone is critical of VW or dares to say 3 year warranty is not good enough.

The number of issues with ID.3 seem to be far more than Kia. It seems to me VW have released the ID.3 without sufficient testing. For a car to go to a dealership for 2 months and not repaired is simply a joke. This should not happen. I dread to think of the issues post 3-years.

If your ideal world where VW is perfect is spoilt, you can choose not to respond. You can choose to mark a user as a foe. A forum is for discussion and opposing views are fine. Snowflakes call others trolls. The post was not flamebait, but an honest view.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Another thread raised by someone who was looking for help only for it to be sidetracked onto a debate that should be elsewhere. It really isn't helpful and seems deliberate at worst and inconsiderate at best.
Marking someone as foe isn't the answer. It just needs a bit of common sense and curtesy.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Daveion wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:14 pm Another thread raised by someone who was looking for help only for it to be sidetracked onto a debate that should be elsewhere. It really isn't helpful and seems deliberate at worst and inconsiderate at best.
Marking someone as foe isn't the answer. It just needs a bit of common sense and curtesy.
👍👍
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw