Frozen Bonnet

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
RDR

Post by RDR »

Hit an interesting design glitch this morning, it was -3 and wanted to check the 12v battery voltage. Pulled the bonnet lever and the bonnet didn't lift it stayed totally flush. On inspection with the design of the bonnet frozen water had formed in-between the bonnet gap all the way around and had frozen it shut solid. With the design I couldn't see anywhere to get fingers under it to ease it open.

Luckily I was on the drive and defrosted it with a little warm water, if you're on the road and need to fill the washer bottle in freezing weather I guess we may hit problems. Might keep a plastic interior trim tool in the tool kit to lift it in emergencies.

close up of the ice broken free below water obviously trickles into the gap and then freezes:

IMG_5203.jpeg

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Thanks for this heads-up.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
JulianM

Post by JulianM »

Hi Yes i had a similar problem this weekend but with the charging flap which would not open. I then warmed the car by turning on the A/C through the app and the flap did eventually open but then would not stay shut unless you pushed it closed and locked the car. Now when you unlock the car the flap opens
I already had the car booked into today with the dealer to sort out the airbag waring light and they have told me they have sorted it by fitting a new actuator?
Emanuel

Post by Emanuel »

JulianM wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:21 pm Hi Yes i had a similar problem this weekend but with the charging flap which would not open. I then warmed the car by turning on the A/C through the app and the flap did eventually open but then would not stay shut unless you pushed it closed and locked the car. Now when you unlock the car the flap opens
I already had the car booked into today with the dealer to sort out the airbag waring light and they have told me they have sorted it by fitting a new actuator?
I had the same issue today, it was really hard to get open and then wouldn't close. I suppose I am not as patient as you are, so I tapped it a bit until it opened. When it didn't connect at all on closing I looked at it and it was clear a little bit of water had run in near and on the lock and frozen. I simple used my home key to get the ice out of there (took it easy, didn't scratch anything) and it closed and stayed closed right away. Note, I just removed the ice in the little crevice where the locking mechanism is, took a few seconds.