Car back from workshop, hopefully with lots of fixes

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Got my car back from the workshop - here's all the things I had told them about in advance and the status:

• Wipers and washers set for LHD = washers adjusted, I need to report wipers to VW
  • Speed limit warnings mph/kmh confusion = "postpone repairs" (VW aware, no fix yet)
  • Random braking with ACC = "postpone repairs" (VW aware, no fix yet)
  • Alarm going off when waking the car with keyless = software update applied
  • Connection status intermittently "offline" = software update applied
  • Headlights "driving on the left"= "postpone repairs" (VW aware, no fix yet)
  • Reversing camera image black screen = software update applied
  • Front assist "limited" = software update applied
  • Startup time for applets = software update applied
  • Multiple warnings on start = software update applied
  • ID light only stripes blue at junctions, not roundabouts or slip roads = I need to report to VW
  • Voice control poor recognition = software update applied
  • Lane assist over zealous = software update applied
  • Navigation not knowing addresses/postcodes = software update applied
  • Front assist kicking in (eg. seeing a pedestrian as a motorbike) = software update applied
  • 12V battery = passed tests, software update applied
  • We Connect ID connection triggers alarm = software update applied
  • Alarm going off on it's own = software update applied
  • Warm Hands option in smart climate set for LHD (air vents) = software update applied
Obviously with some items it will take me time to see if they're fixed, I can definitely say the software response is MUCH faster and the Warm Hands option now works for the driver! I'll discover more over the next couple of days I guess...

Oh, and I have Apple CarPlay now too 🙂

stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

Looks broadly positive! Ours going in tomorrow for the update...
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Good glad you got it back, lots of things should be fixed and more of the advertised features are now available. Hope you like it even more now.

I took my ID.3 for 8am on Tuesday, as the dealer said this would allow them to fix it in the day, needless to say on Tuesday afternoon they said they needed to keep it in overnight and it would be ready today. Phone call today they let me know that the downloads were taking longer than expected on the single computer and it should be ready for the end of the week, but if it took longer would that be a problem. If I wanted to be critical then one wonders why VW doesn't make sure the dealers know to download the updates in advance, but no doubt the poor mechanics just go from one job to another without the luxury to plan for the upcoming jobs. Personally, I really want them to fix the problems, so I would rather it took longer and they get it right, then not let them finish or pressure them into rushing the job.

So not surprised it is taking longer then the dealer expected, as I had read this forum (thanks folks) and watched lots of YouTube videos particularly Chris (Battery Life) and now Frode (My ID.3 by Frode).

After the dealer initially suggested I didn't need a car while mine was being updated, the dealer has loaded their demonstartion ID.3 Life Pro, so can't complain, I was still able to go to my dentist appointment this afternoon ( :cry: ).

The ID.3 Life Pro is making me appreciate my ID.3 Business Pro even more, missing keyless entry, no reversing camera, no auto-dipping reversing mirror, .... also for some reason the car has no connection despite having e-sim, so no pre-heating, no monitoring the charging from my phone etc.. It does recognise 90mph speeds limits on 60mph roads, so a different set of faults to my car.

So looking forward to hopefully like you I will get it back soon and appreciate the whole ID.3 package (finger-crossed).
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Deleted User 192

I only had a short drive home but yes first impressions are definitely positive - it’s much more complete now.

My dealer had booked it for the whole week, with a courtesy car, I took it Monday morning and they had finished by lunchtime today.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:52 pm I only had a short drive home but yes first impressions are definitely positive - it’s much more complete now.

My dealer had booked it for the whole week, with a courtesy car, I took it Monday morning and they had finished by lunchtime today.
Your dealer sounds like they get it, they don't promise too much saying they need a week and then exceed your expectations by getting the car back to you early.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Deleted User 192

Yes that was fine with me as I wasn’t left without a car, they did however need a push before Christmas from the VW Executive Office to give me a set date... I’m just glad I don’t have to talk with their salespeople any more, the service team actually have an idea what the car is about 😉
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Just got a call from technician working on my car to say they were unable to complete the update as VW have pulled the downloads. So they have done all they can do, a full update will be available end of February/early March and so the car is now ready for collecting.

My car is displaying software version 0783, but what does this mean if the update was not completed as VW stopped it half way through?

I have spoken to dealer management and said I do not plan to collect the car until I have spoken to VW. I have left a message asking VW to unblock the update as I really don't want a car which has modules at different software update levels and so may not function correctly together or even be a unique combination previously untested. On pushing the dealer changed the "the update will be available" to "the update might be available", not reassuring.

I am awaiting a call back from VW Executive Office hopefully with a resolution.