Lights issue.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

I don't know if any other owners have the same problem with there lights as I am having.
I cannot drive my vehicle, even in broad daylight, with just the DRL's operating. Whatever I try to do the lights always revert back to dipped headlight.
It won't even drive with sidelights.
Although there are other issues I can live with, ie software update, this problem is really bugging me.
I have spoken to a VW technician but he can't offer any explanation.
That aside, I am really enjoying the car.

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

That's a new one on me. There is a 'daylight sensor' on the windscreen near the interior mirror. I think if that is blocked, the car will think it's always night-time and will turn on the headlights if you have them set to AUTO. Could yours be blocked, perhaps?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

Hi HeidiFlowerpot, no I have nothing blocking the 'daylight sensor'. Its just so strange and annoying, people flashing me because my headlights are on in daylight.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Kaygee wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 am Hi HeidiFlowerpot, no I have nothing blocking the 'daylight sensor'. Its just so strange and annoying, people flashing me because my headlights are on in daylight.
Very strange. Maybe the sensor is faulty. A trip to the dealership?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm
Kaygee wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 am Hi HeidiFlowerpot, no I have nothing blocking the 'daylight sensor'. Its just so strange and annoying, people flashing me because my headlights are on in daylight.
Very strange. Maybe the sensor is faulty. A trip to the dealership?
Looks that way
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

Hi Kaygee, does your rain sensitive wash wipe work? Our car had a bracket that holds various sensors behind the rear-view-mirror come lose and the rain sensor didn’t work. Your daylight sensor may have suffered a similar problem and affect other sensors too??

The dealer cobbled a fix together at the end of November but it needed a whole new front wind screen. Car finally goes in for the screen change at the beginning of Feb.

John
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

Purplemeanie wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:58 pm Hi Kaygee, does your rain sensitive wash wipe work? Our car had a bracket that holds various sensors behind the rear-view-mirror come lose and the rain sensor didn’t work. Your daylight sensor may have suffered a similar problem and affect other sensors too??

The dealer cobbled a fix together at the end of November but it needed a whole new front wind screen. Car finally goes in for the screen change at the beginning of Feb.

John
Hi John, yes, my rain sensitive wash does work, just been out in the pouring rain.
I can't be bothered to call the dealer to book in just for the lights problem so will just hang on for the Me 2.1 software update sometime between now and end March ( hopefully).
Cheers
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

Just a quick update on my lights problem. Out yesterday in sunny weather and the Auto mode worked as it should, that is no lights on. So I decided to switch off the Auto mode on see what happened in manual mode. All lights came on dipped headlights and side lights. Pressed the Auto button to switch them off and it just went back to Auto mode.
I then got stopped in some traffic and tried again, so I switched to manual mode, all lights came on, pressed the Auto button once and dipped headlights went off, then pressed again and side lights went off. I thought great it works, but then as soon as the car in front drove off and I followed the lights then just reverted back to Auto mode. This is really bugging me. Has anyone else got this issue?
Ngauge

Post by Ngauge »

I always have lights set to Auto no problem.
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

Ngauge wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:30 am I always have lights set to Auto no problem.
The problem is that in Auto mode unless it is very bright the dipped headlights/sidelights come on, even when it is a little cloudy. Surely this is not right.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Kaygee wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:51 am The problem is that in Auto mode unless it is very bright the dipped headlights/sidelights come on, even when it is a little cloudy. Surely this is not right.

There is a setting which is supposed to influence when the Auto lights kick in - I seem to recall there being 3 values you can choose between - have you found that and tried adjusting it?
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 am
Kaygee wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:51 am The problem is that in Auto mode unless it is very bright the dipped headlights/sidelights come on, even when it is a little cloudy. Surely this is not right.

There is a setting which is supposed to influence when the Auto lights kick in - I seem to recall there being 3 values you can choose between - have you found that and tried adjusting it?
Hi, after speaking to a VW technician a couple of weeks ago he mentioned trying that, which I did but it made no difference.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Has anyone had a problem with rear indicator not working?

Asking my better half to check on arrival but sounds like an old fashioned broken bulb (though all LED now!)

Hope not another software glitch !
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

My car went in to the dealership yesterday( 9.00am) to resolve the lights issue, along with one or two other minor niggles. Technician called me last night to say they needed the car overnight/tomorrow to carry out further updates etc.
Not sure if this meant they were doing the update from 0563 to 0783.
One thing I did notice though was that the WeConnect app is now showing SOC in 1% increments were it was previously in 5% steps.
Does anyone know if that happens with the 0783 version.
As of now I'm still waiting to hear back.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Kaygee wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 am My car went in to the dealership yesterday( 9.00am) to resolve the lights issue, along with one or two other minor niggles. Technician called me last night to say they needed the car overnight/tomorrow to carry out further updates etc.
One thing I did notice though was that the WeConnect app is now showing SOC in 1% increments were it was previously in 5% steps.
Not sure about the 1% increments but certainly there in 0783.
If the car has been updated to 0783 then you should also notice an extra option in the ID App - Departure Times on the Car Symbol Screen.
I hope your issues are resolved anyway.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

simonrg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:35 pm
Kaygee wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 am My car went in to the dealership yesterday( 9.00am) to resolve the lights issue, along with one or two other minor niggles. Technician called me last night to say they needed the car overnight/tomorrow to carry out further updates etc.
If the car has been updated to 0783 then you should also notice an extra option in the ID App - Departure Times on the Car Symbol Screen.
Thanks Simon,
Yes I have the extra option in the app but as I've seen mentioned somewhere else It says in Departure Times ; Advance air conditioning to 19'C based on your current vehicle air conditioning settings.
They are already set at 19'C
Don't understand?.
As an aside, whilst chatting to the Master tech, he told me ALL ID.3's are fitted with 2- Zone climate control, and customers with Single Zone will be able to have the 2 Zone initiated within the software, but obviously there will be a cost involved.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Kaygee wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:29 am
simonrg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:35 pm
Thanks Simon,
Yes I have the extra option in the app but as I've seen mentioned somewhere else It says in Departure Times ; Advance air conditioning to 19'C based on your current vehicle air conditioning settings.
They are already set at 19'C
Don't understand?.
As an aside, whilst chatting to the Master tech, he told me ALL ID.3's are fitted with 2- Zone climate control, and customers with Single Zone will be able to have the 2 Zone initiated within the software, but obviously there will be a cost involved.
In general currently certainly on the iPhone App, the information is not always reliable beyond just SoC and sometimes the commands work and sometimes they don't.
On my iPhone App the Departure Times screen is blank, if I intercept the communication and look at the status information sent from the VW servers, then the current car temperature doesn't appear to be in the information sent, so not sure that the app can currently get the current temperature.
Interesting if 2-Zone climate control is purely software, I guess it would explain why Voice Control doesn't work for single zone.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire