ME2.0 update cancelled

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
id73

Post by id73 »

So I was due to drop my car in today for ME2.0 update.
Dealer called me at last minute to tell me VW had issued a notice overnight to stop all future customer updates to ME2.0 due to a bug whereby cars won’t restart after the update.

No explanation as to what this bug is or when it will be fixed. I was just told to rebook for 2 weeks time...when hopefully it will be fixed ?!?!

I think this is pretty dreadful communication and adds to the irritation of being an early adopter of the car

Has anyone else had their ME 2.0 update cancelled for this reason? Or is it just something affecting VW West London?

stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

Ours has gone in today for the update....
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
Jel

Post by Jel »

VW West London called me 2 days before my ID3 was scheduled for the ME2.0 update stating that they didn't know when I would get it back due to staff shortages.

Personally I'm not hughly impressed with VWs UK customer service.
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

Looks like this might be a West London ‘thing’ then - perhaps a franchise issue?

I can’t fault the customer service we’ve received - either from the sales or service/aftersales team members. Our dealer is part of inchcape.
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

stu-evs wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:32 am Looks like this might be a West London ‘thing’ then - perhaps a franchise issue?

I can’t fault the customer service we’ve received - either from the sales or service/aftersales team members. Our dealer is part of inchcape.
My car went in on Tuesday and service shop has just told me they can't complete the update as VW have pulled the download.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

simonrg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:49 pm My car went in on Tuesday and service shop has just told me they can't complete the update as VW have pulled the download.
Rather concerning for those of us that have already had the update. Are there some worrying bugs I wonder?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I posted about this on the UK ID3 group on Facebook - two technicians who are members of that group have said separately that they each completed a 2.0 update today and it’s still available on their systems, one of them thinks there might be some dealer confusion with VW pulling updates for the Golf 8.

Nobody seems to know what is going on with any certainty.
DAN142

Post by DAN142 »

I had the update which stopped the heater working and then had to wait 24 hours for a further update. All fine now. Maybe they are waiting for that update?
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

simonrg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:49 pm My car went in on Tuesday and service shop has just told me they can't complete the update as VW have pulled the download.
Update on where I am - possibly what happened is that if the initial update to 0783 doesn't work fully then the VW system does not allow further downloads to update the other modules that need updating, so it looks like VW have pulled the download.

I did get a call today VW Executive Office to say they had instructed the dealer to raise a technical query with the factory, which will result in instructions to the dealer what to do next. I pointed out I would not accept a half upgraded car. Obviously the VW customer service agents are dealing with all VW cars and so have to go back to get technical help from other colleagues, I did suggest it would be useful to read this forum and the Facebook group to understand a bit more about the ID.3. He is going to seek further technical help and asked me to give him 4-5 days to get back to me.

In the meantime I have a black Life Pro with no connectivity so can get about.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

Just had the call from our dealer - they’ve successfully completed the update on our car...it took 2 days (they had it since Wednesday evening) - coming back to us this evening.

Ours was permanently offline beforehand and now is online and apparently all functions checked and working....
ID.3 1st Edition

id73

Post by id73 »

Dreadfully frustrating, VW west london still not able to update to ME2.0, no explanation, no eta. Very poor customer service.

I am amazed that this software takes 2 days to complete even with a hard wired connection to the car.
What are they using, some sort of 1980s dial up modem?!?

Our Tesla is able to update wirelessly in 25mins so I really can’t understand why ID3 is 115x slower when directly plugged into a diagnostics machine

The we connect app continues to randomly work and then not work and car randomly looses its 4g connectivity so the connected features of the car are simply not reliable enough to have passed any sort of production roll out testing. Very unimpressed with it all
Deleted User 192

Because it’s not as simple as plug-in and press a button, this is a post from a master tech on Facebook:

Very basically, we update the infotainment side of things first, using a USB C memory stick just plugged into the center console then turn the ignition on, that updates everything to 783 within about an hour all being well. Then put the car to sleep for 15 mins. Then run a fault check using one protocol and input an update code, this will then assess the control units on that protocol and give us a list of what is going to be updated which is stuff like front assist and the antenna module plus a couple of others, that'll take a couple of hours to complete all being well.

Once that's done, let the car go to sleep again before running a norma CAN protocol fault check and input another update code which will update just about every other control unit, this list of updates and codings is usually in the region of 33-34 items. Again that'll take a couple of hours plus then rechecking every control unit has taken the correct software level and redoing any that may need it, usually one or two need a recode. Then a 12v battery adaption, another sleep session (they get tired easily 😂) and then a drive motor adaption on the road and pray to the Lord above that all is well. Sorry for the long winded explanation 🤣
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:59 am Because it’s not as simple as plug-in and press a button, this is a post from a master tech on Facebook:

Very useful info. Thanks scott28tt.

I wish corporates wouldn't put stuff behind the walled-garden of Facebook. Many use it but not everyone. It's much appreciated to have someone willing to relay useful stuff from Facebook over to here for those of us that refuse to use it. :)
Deleted User 192

It’s not an official Facebook group and wasn’t an official comment from the tech, he’s just a member of that group trying to help owners - just like if a tech joined this forum.
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

So, post-update to 2.0 this week, and getting the car back last night, popped out and spent some time with the car today checking functions out etc. - the good news is that everything seems to be working perfectly! Wireless CarPlay is great...and the simple change of having the home button on the drivers side now makes a surprisingly positive difference! Got the car registered on we connect (car was offline permanently before) and the app seems to work too...albeit slightly basic at the moment.

So, hopefully good news for those waiting for the update still - seems it’s still available and functioning well!
ID.3 1st Edition

hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

stu-evs wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:36 pm So, post-update to 2.0 this week, and getting the car back last night, popped out and spent some time with the car today checking functions out etc. - the good news is that everything seems to be working perfectly! Wireless CarPlay is great...and the simple change of having the home button on the drivers side now makes a surprisingly positive difference! Got the car registered on we connect (car was offline permanently before) and the app seems to work too...albeit slightly basic at the moment.

So, hopefully good news for those waiting for the update still - seems it’s still available and functioning well!
I've noticed with v2.0 that the speed limit warning is still confusing kph and mph. Also the Warm Hands function is still blowing out of the left hand vents in a RHD car. But I haven't noticed any other software-related niggles.
Deleted User 192

hwhbev wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:10 pm
stu-evs wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:36 pm So, post-update to 2.0 this week, and getting the car back last night, popped out and spent some time with the car today checking functions out etc. - the good news is that everything seems to be working perfectly! Wireless CarPlay is great...and the simple change of having the home button on the drivers side now makes a surprisingly positive difference! Got the car registered on we connect (car was offline permanently before) and the app seems to work too...albeit slightly basic at the moment.

I've noticed with v2.0 that the speed limit warning is still confusing kph and mph. Also the Warm Hands function is still blowing out of the left hand vents in a RHD car. But I haven't noticed any other software-related niggles.

Did you tell your dealer in advance about the Warm Hands air vent issue? It was on the list I sent to mine, and it’s now working correctly for RHD.

I do feel that the more you tell them the more they fix, there were 20 things on my list prior to me taking it to them last Monday.

Another example would be the image for the reversing camera not filling the screen, which I told them about before my car first went into the workshop and had the 0570 software installed. They also installed a patch or update then which corrected the camera image (this was not part of a regular 0570 update)
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

scott28tt wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:07 pm Did you tell your dealer in advance about the Warm Hands air vent issue? It was on the list I sent to mine, and it’s now working correctly for RHD.

I do feel that the more you tell them the more they fix, there were 20 things on my list prior to me taking it to them last Monday.
Seems like a great idea, but disappointing if VW aren't giving the dealers a list of items to check when they are maintaining ID.3's.

I believe Toyota do this, as I was asked where my locking wheel nuts were when the car went in for a battery error check and was told there was a small issue with brake alignment on some cars and Toyota were asking dealers to check this at next opportunity.
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

scott28tt wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:07 pm
Did you tell your dealer in advance about the Warm Hands air vent issue? It was on the list I sent to mine, and it’s now working correctly for RHD.
No I didn’t but as simonrg pointed out, I expected (perhaps naively) VW to fix all known issues especially if they are software controlled which I assume the Warm Hands issue to be. What about all of the bugs that we can’t see that affect things such as battery management, etc. Surely they get fixed even though we don’t explicitly mention them when our cars go in for service / software update? At least I hope they would. I’m going to start another list of issues for my next visit to the dealer....

Is there anything still outstanding on your ID.3, apart from the things we know are coming in v2.1?
Deleted User 192

My dealer explained that they have to log every reported fault onto a central VW system, plus they asked me for the list in advance so they could be prepared.

It was a no brainier for me to send them my list, and as I say on both occasions they’ve had my car they’ve fixed things which do not appear to have been part of the standard software update.

Yes I still have some things unresolved, including a couple of items that VW are aware of but don’t yet have a fix for - no idea if those things are fixed in 2.1 though, I guess we all wait and see.

It may also be worth pointing out that the updates are being installed as a warranty claim through the dealer - they have to be paid by VW in order to carry out the “repairs”, that may go towards explaining why dealers aren’t fixing every single thing on every single car, it’s also time consuming for them to check and resolve.

I will continue to report any error or any quirk to the service staff at my dealer, I have a lot more sympathy for them now I understand more about the process they have to follow with the car and with VW.

Oh and there was a rollbar check that is being done on every car going back to any workshop, as per the Toyota example above.