Scheduled charge advice please

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Wurzzle

Post by Wurzzle »

I know I'm probably going over old ground here, but I'd appreciate any advice on schedule charging.
I've scoured the forum for as much info as possible, but I'm still running into the issue of reduced current.
Here's my setup:-
Nothing set in the car other than charge to 80%
Wallbox pulsar set to come on at 12:20 off 12:25 then back on at 12:30-4:30.
The charger schedule always turns on and off at the right times, but it's a lottery as to whether it delivers 3.5 of 7+kw.
It appears dependant on how long it's been since the cable was plugged in. If I turn off the schedule and plug in immediately It will always charge at 7+kw.
I'm guessing it's something to do with the car going to sleep, because the schedule normally works if connected within 2 hours, but anything longer is generally a fail. I've put in the 5 min initial charge to attempt replicating removing and reconnecting the cable which always results in 7kw charge. But obviously this isn't working. For me anyway.
I'm 99% sure it's the car and not the charger. We have a Renault Zoe which has charged successfully with these settings for the past 7 years! Never been an issue.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (March 22), Makena Turquoise, East Derry alloys, Transport hitch, Wallbox Pulsar.
And a 2015 22kw Renault Zoe (battery 98% S.O.H after 45k)

jhg

Post by jhg »

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, scheduled to charge between 00:30 and 04:30. It will always charge at 7kW, irrespective of how long the car was plugged in before the scheduled start time. That suggests it's not a general incompatibility between Wallbox chargers and the ID.3. Are you running the latest firmware on the Wallbox and the latest version of the Wallbox app ?
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
Wurzzle

Post by Wurzzle »

jhg wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:12 pm I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, scheduled to charge between 00:30 and 04:30. It will always charge at 7kW, irrespective of how long the car was plugged in before the scheduled start time. That suggests it's not a general incompatibility between Wallbox chargers and the ID.3. Are you running the latest firmware on the Wallbox and the latest version of the Wallbox app ?
Hi, yes latest firmware and app.
Like I said it's been faultless charging our Zoe for the last 7 years.
I seem to remember reading the ID3 achieves its maximum AC charge rate of 11Kw via a bank of three 3.6kw chargers. Perhaps it's coincidental, but 3.6kw is exactly what I get quite often. Suggesting only 1 charger is being used. I know a lot of other forum members report experiencing 3.6kw charging quite often. Just doesn't seem to be any common cause though.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (March 22), Makena Turquoise, East Derry alloys, Transport hitch, Wallbox Pulsar.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I think it is more like some of the newer ID.3's has this problem and believe the fault could lay with the car as its not just one particular make of charger. Ohme have told me that the charger offered 7.4 kW but the car rejected it and accepted 3.6 kW.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Wurzzle

Post by Wurzzle »

Newfie wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:42 pm I think it is more like some of the newer ID.3's has this problem and believe the fault could lay with the car as its not just one particular make of charger. Ohme have told me that the charger offered 7.4 kW but the car rejected it and accepted 3.6 kW.
Yes, I got exactly the same result when I tried a schedule charge with a friend's podpoint. It charges his Nissan leaf without issue, but again only delivered 3.6kw on a schedule charge with my id3, but again went to 7+kw when unplugged and reconnected.
I've asked my dealer if they know of a workaround that doesn't involve me getting out of bed at 12:30 to charge my car!!!! But I'm not expecting too much.
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

I had this problem with my Ohme like @Newfie and after hatching a cunning test to prove it was the charger the problem went away. I’m not so convinced it was the charger after reading this and wouldn’t be surprised it the problem comes back.

My original theory was that the car might be restricting charge below certain temperatures or something like that. I’m due a charge tomorrow night so will report back here if it plays up again.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

There have been quite a few threads on reduced charging rates but other than one I recall went to dealer for repair, I has not generally been the car. In Car Scheduled charging is known to cause issues not using it but just having a location set up on the car is enough, load balancing, CT Clamp installed incorrectly and in a couple of cases incorrect settings from install.

My car is regularly plugged in for several hours pre charging period and has no 'sleep' issues up to now.

I've never heard the theory around there being 3 x 3.6kW chargers that would be interesting to find more about. It seems terribly inefficient to do that rather than have a single 11kW device.