Cracked Windscreen

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
RDR

Post by RDR »

well at least todays issue isn't a software bug. Set off this afternoon and noticed a 20cm crack in the screen :roll: no idea how it happened I would have noticed it yesterday its right in-front of the driver.

Logged it on my insurance accounts website waiting for someone to contact me on how to proceed. Anyone had a screen replaced yet?

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Sorry to hear that, you’re not the first - mine was due to an object strike while I was driving

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=267
RDR

Post by RDR »

My insurers referred me to auto glass, they are trying to find out when they can get hold of a screen. They said it needs to go into one of their workshop as they cant do it on the drive. Luckily the ID3 is our little runabout so no big if its out of action for a while.
RDR

Post by RDR »

update - had the windscreen replaced yesterday took a week or so to get hold of one. Interestingly the fitter said its the second they have done this year and the cracks almost identical! now I'm not looking for problems but have noticed when my car charges in the night and its frosty i have a defrosted patch in the area of the crack. I assume there is some electronics or thermal management going on that needs venting. was a little frosty this morning and took a pic this is when i woke up you can see clearly warm air has been venting the car was off locked and the keys over the other side of the house...

IMG_5236.jpeg

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Did your car have to go into VW For any testing/recalibration? I had to have a replacement windscreen on my Tiguan 3 months after getting it and once they had found the windscreen and fitted it the car had to go to VW for a day to recalibrate the ACC and other safety systems?
RDR

Post by RDR »

No it had to go to an autoglass calibration workshop so they could do it all in one go rather than my local autoglass centre.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:31 am Did your car have to go into VW For any testing/recalibration? I had to have a replacement windscreen on my Tiguan 3 months after getting it and once they had found the windscreen and fitted it the car had to go to VW for a day to recalibrate the ACC and other safety systems?

I had a new screen in my ID.3 in November - at the time the National Windscreens workshop could only fit the glass as the ID.3 didn't show up on their calibration system, so it had to go back to VW for that, the dealer had to claim the cost of the recalibration (£200+) from my insurer.

Much simpler now it sounds like the screen companies can do it all at once :-)
thefordprefect

Post by thefordprefect »

ID3 screen cracked noticeably (about 1 cm) a few months ago. did not really seem to have a strike point (perhaps an almost invisible dot between the wiper rubber and the wiper metal!). Called autoglass and was told they have to have vehicle for a few hours to Align cameras etc, but they had no stock of id3 glass. Watched the crack lengthen for 2.5 weeks getting closer to illegality (by the minute sometimes!). Was about a curly 60cm long at the change time.
Eventually had it replaced OK. Autoglass suggested that the wiper blades be replaced as there may be shards of glass embedded which could scratch new screen. Didn't think that likely so asked for original back so they could be checked and used when theirs wore out. Didn't get them of course!
Hanp

Post by Hanp »

There is definitely a fault. My ID3 has now had two cracks in an identical place in the bottom centre of the windscreen with no strike point. VW are refusing to accept it is a fault. Terrible customer service.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Hanp wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:58 pm There is definitely a fault. My ID3 has now had two cracks in an identical place in the bottom centre of the windscreen with no strike point. VW are refusing to accept it is a fault. Terrible customer service.
Pics seen and descriptions here sound like thermal shock, the same kind people see when they defrost the windscreen with water from the kettle.

I'd guess at the de-icing/cabin heating being too aggressive and causing one of the screen laminations to crack.

I had a Scirocco that went through 3 windscreens in 3 months because they were under so much tension that it didn't take much to crack one. The fitter for number 4 put some kind of shock absorbing gasket on which solved the issue.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:09 pm
Hanp wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:58 pm There is definitely a fault. My ID3 has now had two cracks in an identical place in the bottom centre of the windscreen with no strike point. VW are refusing to accept it is a fault. Terrible customer service.
Pics seen and descriptions here sound like thermal shock, the same kind people see when they defrost the windscreen with water from the kettle.

I'd guess at the de-icing/cabin heating being too aggressive and causing one of the screen laminations to crack.

I had a Scirocco that went through 3 windscreens in 3 months because they were under so much tension that it didn't take much to crack one. The fitter for number 4 put some kind of shock absorbing gasket on which solved the issue.
Similarly I had a Golf TDi which went through 3 screens in first year. Each time the crack was in exactly the same place. The lease company insisted that VW repair the 3rd time and they fitted some sort of gasket. I was told at the time it was a known issue with adhesive being too good and not allowing any movement. Not sure I believed that, but after the VW fit had no more problem in the following 2,5 years I had the car.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
Joynsa46

Post by Joynsa46 »

Good evening, am I scaremongering or does there seem to be a repeat issue here with lots of relatively new cars developing a stress crack in their windscreen. Mine has just gone pop. 10cm crack, bottom centre of screen, starting from the near the bonnet line - no obvious cause. Car always garaged, so I guess the temperature drop when I take it out might play a part, shouldn’t happen though.

I am thinking Auto glass seem to be the go to people for availability on these screens from most posts I have read. Not started the hunt yet.

Regards