VW Contacted to Promise Me OTA Update Q1 2022 - So Can't Be 2.4

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

If BatteryLife is to be believed the charging improvements/fixes are in 2.4 which will be a dealer delivered combined software/hardware update. 2.4 will come sooner than 3.1 obviously.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:17 pm I don't think the manual states it, as that is not how VW intended it to work. They presumably wrote the manual under the impression the software worked. Of all the things that were wrong in the released versions of the software the schedule charging is probably the item that is so completely broken the only solution is to not use it.

No it doesn't work under 2.3 either.. VW have announced that it will be fixed in Software version 3 whether we see 3.0 or 3.1 is the next question and whether we see it much before October is debateable.
Having just tried scheduled charging (ok only once), bizarrely it does seem to work in my ID.3. In that I can set a location, set a departure time, a charge level and my ID>3 charges to the right level at the right time.

I do wonder if after my experiences with trying to get pre-heating working which turned out to be due to something mis-configured or not updated, the same may be true for people's different experiences of charging. It took 3 months to get that fault fixed.

I agree October is debateable due to past experience and due to the number of cars that will need 2.4 installing first.

Anyway thanks I am now able to charge in the way that works best for me.
Utumno wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:31 pm If BatteryLife is to be believed the charging improvements/fixes are in 2.4 which will be a dealer delivered combined software/hardware update. 2.4 will come sooner than 3.1 obviously.
Fingers crossed.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
owlservice

Post by owlservice »

That's interesting.

I received my ID3 last Wednesday, and have charged a few times since. Each time mine has charged to my settings of 80%. I have 2.3.
simonrg wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:37 am Since last year I have not been able to rely on charging occurring as set on the car, for example I set 80% car charges to 100%.
In January VW Connect acknowledged that my car was not behaving correctly, since then approximately every 2 weeks they have been asking me to try charging and send screenshots, photos, times of charges, results, etc..
Last week I got an the email saying the fault would be fixed with an OTA update in Q1 2022, having just listened to 2.4 update information, this can't be 2.4 and I already have 2.3.
So, has anybody else had an OTA update after 2.3?
Is this a special update just for my ID.3?

On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 at 07:52, We Connect Support <weconnect-support@volkswagen.de> wrote:
VW Logo Volkswagen WE Logo

Hello,

Thank you for using Volkswagen Digital Services.

Regarding your request, we would like to inform you that in the first quarter of this year 2022 there will be a new Over the Air update for your vehicle with a lot of improvements for heating and charging.

For further clarifications, we remain at your disposal around the clock, 7 days a week. You may reply to this email, or call us on our dedicated line 0800 – 2797508. We kindly ask, that you indicate your reference 0001163420 for a quick follow-up.

We wish you always a safe and pleasant journey with your Volkswagen ID.3.

Your Volkswagen team
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

The logic for charging is not obvious either from the interface and to my mind is not properly documented - seems like a flow chart would work well here:
  • Is location set:
    • if location set is car at set location:
      • if at set location is schedule set:
        • if schedule set charge according to schedule
        • if no schedule set charge immediately to level set for location
      • if not at location ignore scheduled charging and charge according to charging screen
    • if no location set charge according to charging screen
Basically, despite several different explanation of charging in the manual, there is only one charging logic.
What still wasn't obvious and is not documented is that if they car is at a set location then the normal charging screen has no effect, as it is overridden by the location charge level set as part of the scheduled charging set up, however this fact is not displayed on the normal charging screen and you are still able to adjust the settings on this screen but they have no effect.
owlservice wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:41 am That's interesting.

I received my ID3 last Wednesday, and have charged a few times since. Each time mine has charged to my settings of 80%. I have 2.3.
So, my experience was the same as yours for my first 12 months of ownership.

Then I set up a charging location to try scheduled charging, this wasn't reliable, so I went back to normal charging having deactivated all the scheduled charging settings, but not deleted the location.

This is when I noticed charging no longer stopped at the set charge, which is due to the 2 different methods of charging interfering with each other.

However, once I had deleted the location then the simple charging worked as before.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

simonrg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:47 pm The logic for charging is not obvious either from the interface and to my mind is not properly documented - seems like a flow chart would work well here:
A Logical explanation isn't possible for something that is broken and has been accepted as broken by everyone including VW. It's broken and can't be reliably used because even just adding a location can cause completely inexplicable outcomes.

If you want a Flow chart is it
  • Are you using In car schedule charging?
  • Yes - Well don't it's completley broken
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Regarding the on-board charging settings, are we all due some sort of compensation for buying something that doesn't work?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The nuts thing for me is that you can get timed charging to work fine by plugging in and manually start stopping the charge from the app. You ‘could’ have made the app control it all….

That may not have been the optimal solution - but it would have worked and it’s a lot easier to update the app than OTA/hardware change all the cars…
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:06 am A Logical explanation isn't possible for something that is broken and has been accepted as broken by everyone including VW. It's broken and can't be reliably used because even just adding a location can cause completely inexplicable outcomes.

• Yes - Well don't it's completely broken
VW has never admitted to me it is broken, they have said that it will be improved in v2.4 or 3.1, a bit unclear.
You are right it is broken, but that is because the documentation is incorrect and the two sections of charging don't link.
Now I know how it is broken for my car I can use both but not at the same time even in v2.3.
Scratch wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:30 am Regarding the on-board charging settings, are we all due some sort of compensation for buying something that doesn't work?
Each time I enquire of VW or the dealer, I am told VW don't do compensation, so you would need to take them to court and each time somebody suggests this on this forum or Facebook it doesn't end well.
MotMot wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:45 am The nuts thing for me is that you can get timed charging to work fine by plugging in and manually start stopping the charge from the app. You ‘could’ have made the app control it all….

That may not have been the optimal solution - but it would have worked and it’s a lot easier to update the app than OTA/hardware change all the cars…
Agreed.
I use Domoticz to control my house and have linked it to the VW servers, so I get a display of what the car is doing. It would be easy enough to extend this to control the charging, but until the end of last year I had found the in-car settings plus app basically worked, only wrecked when I foolishly tried scheduled charging. Others have done this have a look at https://pypi.org/project/weconnect/
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

simonrg wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:29 am
G43FAN wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:06 am A Logical explanation isn't possible for something that is broken and has been accepted as broken by everyone including VW. It's broken and can't be reliably used because even just adding a location can cause completely inexplicable outcomes.

• Yes - Well don't it's completely broken
VW has never admitted to me it is broken, they have said that it will be improved in v2.4 or 3.1, a bit unclear.
You are right it is broken, but that is because the documentation is incorrect and the two sections of charging don't link.
Now I know how it is broken for my car I can use both but not at the same time even in v2.3.
Scratch wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:30 am Regarding the on-board charging settings, are we all due some sort of compensation for buying something that doesn't work?
Each time I enquire of VW or the dealer, I am told VW don't do compensation, so you would need to take them to court and each time somebody suggests this on this forum or Facebook it doesn't end well.
MotMot wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:45 am The nuts thing for me is that you can get timed charging to work fine by plugging in and manually start stopping the charge from the app. You ‘could’ have made the app control it all….

Agreed.
I use Domoticz to control my house and have linked it to the VW servers, so I get a display of what the car is doing. It would be easy enough to extend this to control the charging, but until the end of last year I had found the in-car settings plus app basically worked, only wrecked when I foolishly tried scheduled charging. Others have done this have a look at https://pypi.org/project/weconnect/
"Each time I enquire of VW or the dealer, I am told VW don't do compensation, so you would need to take them to court and each time somebody suggests this on this forum or Facebook it doesn't end well."
How do you mean, "it doesn't end well". Maybe we should get some advice from other countries. Look what happened with dieselgate. We seem to submit rather easily here in the UK.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Scratch wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:42 am "Each time I enquire of VW or the dealer, I am told VW don't do compensation, so you would need to take them to court and each time somebody suggests this on this forum or Facebook it doesn't end well."
How do you mean, "it doesn't end well". Maybe we should get some advice from other countries. Look what happened with dieselgate. We seem to submit rather easily here in the UK.
Sorry should have been clearer, historically ID.3 owners have not got behind the person suggesting any legal action, people are coming from very different places, so it appears to be difficult to get enough support to act.
For example:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1678376 ... %2CO%2CP-R
Dieselgate was rather different.

VW Executive Office called me this morning to close the case and inform me that the dealer will be informed about availability of v2.4 sometime after July 2022. This makes a nonsense of the press release, as v3.x can't be installed until v2.4:
https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... amily-7813
"Buyers of new cars will benefit from the new software right away. For owners of cars that have already been delivered, Volkswagen plans to provide many of the optimisations of ID. Software 3.0 free of charge via an over-the-air update as of Q2."
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

So from that it sounds like we won't be getting the 2.4 notice until after July 2022...!