Replacement New Control Unit to be fitted

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
G4XUR

Post by G4XUR »

My ID3 has now been back at the dealer longer than in my own garage since new. The very latest diagnostics (finger in the sky) has resulted in the replacement of the vehicle control unit (apparently the mind of the car with several processors!) not sure what they do 90% of their time as the 20 plus faults will require updates to fix once fitted. Today I got a request for the spare key to be taken to the garage as it needs reprogramming to sync with the car.
Roll on ID3.1 (now that sounds like windows about 30 years ago) OMG.

ID3 one day

Post by ID3 one day »

I have the same problem after 4 days we found the headlights did not work . The car has had to have new headlights and we are being told it needs a new controller unit which we will have to wait for. We have now had a car for 4 days n 8 weeks. VW don't seem to be very supportive.
Alexrei

Post by Alexrei »

We experienced the same problem and the car has been off the road for 2 weeks. The headlights remained on all the time and would not allow full beam to be selected, therefore the car is wholly not road worthy. The repairing garage is now saying a further 3 weeks to sort out the problem.
We had no other option, but to reject the car under the consumers right 2015, now awaiting for VW etc to determine the next move. We really enjoyed the car, but to only be able to use it 2 weeks out of 4, is not acceptable.
Our latest update from the garage is a headlights control unit needs to be replaced, delivery within 1/2 days from Germany, therefore we have been led to believe the car may be back with us by the end of the week. The lights control unit is sited behind the bumper, which needs to be removed, a task according to the garage . Still awaiting a response from VW on our rejection of the car.
Our car has now been sorted and is on software version 783 and everything seems to run okay. The car was unroadworthy for three weeks and the garage said they replaced the headlights control unit, plus software updates. Our car is a lease car and they don’t want to pursue a case against VW it is up to them as they are the registered owners.
No one is willing to give us any compensation and the repairing garage has failed to tell us all that they done over the 2 plus weeks.
The car was finally returned with version 2.0 of the software and the engine noise control unit replaced, everything seems to be working okay. The car was off the road for 3 working weeks and only the repairing garage Arnold Clark Linwood willing to pay for the fuel for the courtesy car. This was after trying to pursue a case with VW through the lease car company, with no joy.
The car is booked in for the latest software in a couple of weeks, hopefully no further issues thereafter.
Last edited by Alexrei on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
G4XUR

Post by G4XUR »

Re My New Control Unit, Got a call yesterday to let me know the car had been updated and all looked good! I did cross check the list of 23 faults with them one by one to which they confirmed all was now functional. They (the dealer) wanted to keep the vehicle over the weekend for observation! They said it would remain connected to the VW network and monitored by VW in Germany till early next week by then they were hopeful I could get it back! looks like a twinkle at the end of the tunnel!!
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

I wish you luck. Ours has been in for two months and is now waiting a control unit which they say are not currently available.