OUR Real World Range

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

With the warmer weather of late my drive today.
43 miles@14C, no cabin heating, mixed roads, dry.
All in D, 4.3m/kw average. 249m proj range.
Same trip 10 days ago @ 3C cabin heater 17C, wet, All in D
3.1m/kw average. 180m proj range.
It would be nice to get others data to see what OUR real world range is.
I worked my figures on M/kw x 58kw. If that's wrong please let me know.
Would be interested in hearing about others experiences. OUR real world I.D3 performance.
I would add that my fuel gauge is still the battery icon but the range projections under varying conditions is useful to know when planning longer journeys.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

Nick Jan

Post by Nick Jan »

Agree; better info on what affects range and by how much would be really useful. With a quoted range of 260 miles, I had assumed 167 mile trip to Norwich would be easily attainable. Having seen the negative effect of cold weather, and motorway driving at 70mph, I'm now not sure I'd make it in the winter!?
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

I'm Planning two work trips in the next few days a 90 mile round trip followed by 250 mile round trip the next day (hoping the charge points are functioning!). I'll record the data and feedback.
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I did a 30-mile journey yesterday at an average of 3.7m/kw, the highest I've noticed so far, so that would equate to 214.6 miles

It was a mix of motorway, a bit of A road, and some local roads - I hadn't done anything to the car in advance and had the AC set to 20 degrees (on both sides)
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Hi Scott
3.7 sounds good with the cabin at 20C.
Was the ambient around 14C? Do you have a heat pump?
Dave
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Yes it was 13-14 degrees outside, no I don't have a heat pump.
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

I picked my car up from the workshop yesterday to have Software update and other issues sorted.
On the return journey home, some 10mls, I achieved 5.1ml/kWh @ 13'C. That equates to about 290ml .
No heat pump.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

5.1 is brilliant. Its not all downhill or with 30mph tail wind is it πŸ˜„. Seriously, that's good. Were you in D or B? Was the cabin heater on?
Mixed roads? Do you find that Mode influences your consumption much?
I got 4.7 at the weekend on a 4 mile run driving with a feather of a right foot in Eco. I think 5.1 will prove difficult to top at current ambients.
Dave
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
mez

Post by mez »

>>All in D
Just curious - assuming you're aiming for best economy / range, why are you driving in D instead of B?

I use B by default - Straw poll: I'm wondering what other owners prefer, D or B?

The regen braking seems to offer moderate range boost - unless on continuous motorway style roads with very little braking/stopping.

(I'm planning on taking some measurements to compare driving routes using D versus B soon).
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a Β£50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

I tend to drive in D as in countryside mainly, so rely on my own breaking for regen and then coasting with D means no loss of energy back into battery.
ACC and Eco then use regen when something gets in the way / speed limits change.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I just like the feel of D versus B.
Like Mez, I am also doing some comparisons.
Im also going to log all the data in this thread as it comes in to see how all variables pan out.
Dave
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

Daveion wrote: ↑Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 am 5.1 is brilliant. Its not all downhill or with 30mph tail wind is it πŸ˜„. Seriously, that's good. Were you in D or B? Was the cabin heater on?
Mixed roads? Do you find that Mode influences your consumption much?
I got 4.7 at the weekend on a 4 mile run driving with a feather of a right foot in Eco. I think 5.1 will prove difficult to top at current ambients.
Dave
Hi Dave, the road is flat for almost the whole journey, also into a fairly strong wind, and I tend to use "B" mode. Cabin temp was set to 18'C
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

I conducted a couple of Range tests on recent trips.
My Car is a Life Pro with heatpump, running 0783 software. Having covered over 1,000 miles all running gear should have lost any initial 'newness'.
All driving is in 'D'/Eco/without ACC.
Day 1
  • Fully charged to 100% immediately before trip
    interior pre-heated to 21degc
    Exterior temperature 6 to 13 degC with significant interior warming from the sun.
    Heater set to 16degC with A/C off, minimum fan speed directed to screen to prevent misting
    Driving conditions c.15% motorway, 20% urban 20/30/40 mph limit, Balance A&B roads 50/60mph limits
    Driving to speed limit whenever safe to do so.
  • Mileage 83 miles
    consumption 34% of battery capacity
    Nominal Range 244 miles
  • Quoted consumption 4.1m/kWhr
    Range on this basis 238 miles.
Day 2
Total journey 336 miles in 2 chunks:-
  • No1
    • Fully charged to 100% immediately before trip
      interior pre-heated to 21degc
      Exterior temperature -1 to +3 degC no interior warming from the sun.
      Heater set to 18degC with A/C off, minimum fan speed directed to screen to prevent misting as well as face vents
      Driving conditions c.80% motorway, balance A&B roads 50/60mph limits
      Driving to speed limit whenever safe to do so. c.40 miles at 60mph due to fog.
    • Distance 157 miles
      Non stop journey
      87% of battery used
      Nominal Range 180 miles
    • Quoted consumption 3.1 m/kWhr
      Range on this basis 180 miles !!
  • No2
    • Fully charged to 100% an hour before setting off to return
      interior not pre-heated.
      Exterior temperature 4 to 7 degC, night time journey
      Heater set to 21degC with A/C off, no 3 fan speed directed to face vent to warm occupants
      Driving conditions c.70% motorway, 30% A&B roads 50/60mph limits
      Driving more 'freely' keeping up with traffic, and generous interpretation of speed limits whenever safe to do so. 'Winter tyre" speed warning set to 75mph as reminder.(Winter tyres not fitted).
    • Distance 179 miles
      15 minute 'splash and dash' charge
      95% of battery used (57% plus 38%)
      Nominal Range 188 miles
    • Quoted consumption 3.3 m/kWhr
      Range on this basis 190 miles
A couple of further observations.
  • All distances recorded by car were spot on with Google maps
  • Noticed limited regen until charge down to about 95%, this makes sense but hadn't realised that before.
  • I Wouldn't want to plan another cold weather Motorway journey of greater than 150 miles without a stop!
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

That was interesting Colin. Emphasises again on the affect of running in colder temperatures. I have also seen the limited regen when the battery is nearer to full charge and that all seems logical.

I think the 180 range on days around 5C is what to expect. Is it a concern? I think for some it may be a concern but I think there are ways you can still squeeze more.
My first trip was at pick up from Nottingham, 160 miles to home on a 0C day. I decided to drive in coat and gloves, no heater at all and cracked the drivers window open to prevent the screen misting over. I thought that would maximise my range and not require me to stop and charge, something I was reluctant to to do in my first EV and trip! It worked and I had a remaining range of 67 miles so 227 overall.
My conclusions about how to run with my car:
If you are going to heat the cabin its going to use battery capacity and cost more to top back up. I drive in my coat and gloves on cold days rather than putting my coat in the back with the ICE where there is an abundance of heat available from the engine. It took a bit of adjustment but now when I drive my other car, an ICE, Im uncomfortable with the heater on.
I also dont feel for me that pre heating the cabin is a big benefit. Clearing the screen of ice is good but beyond that if its 0C outside the cabin temperature will quickly drop again when you drive off. So a little bit of comfort on short journeys at a battery cost is not the way for me. Its not being mean, its being green!
Same with speed. On longer jouneys I drive between 60 and 65. It generally only adds minutes to the journey time compared with 70-80. Its the traffic at the end and start of my journey that drags my average speed down.
Ultimately its a choice and you can mitigate the colder running temperatures to some extent and moderate your drive style which can make the difference between needing to stop for a charge or reaching your destination squeazing your range on a longer jouney.
Bottom line. My ID3 is the first car in a long time that I get a buzz from very time I drive it.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

Dave, agree with you completely on the objective of minimizing heater (and for that matter A/C) use.
My difficulty is the climate requirement voice demands emanating from the front passenger seat with are required to be translated into action by the driver's figures!!
(Just as well on Life Pro, as you know, it can't be handled through the Voice Command system or I'd loose all say in the matter!)
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

πŸ˜‚ Yep. Same here.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Daveion wrote: ↑Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:56 am That was interesting Colin. Emphasises again on the affect of running in colder temperatures. I have also seen the limited regen when the battery is nearer to full charge and that all seems logical.

I think the 180 range on days around 5C is what to expect. Is it a concern? I think for some it may be a concern but I think there are ways you can still squeeze more.
My first trip was at pick up from Nottingham, 160 miles to home on a 0C day. I decided to drive in coat and gloves, no heater at all and cracked the drivers window open to prevent the screen misting over. I thought that would maximise my range and not require me to stop and charge, something I was reluctant to to do in my first EV and trip! It worked and I had a remaining range of 67 miles so 227 overall.
My conclusions about how to run with my car:
If you are going to heat the cabin its going to use battery capacity and cost more to top back up. I drive in my coat and gloves on cold days rather than putting my coat in the back with the ICE where there is an abundance of heat available from the engine. It took a bit of adjustment but now when I drive my other car, an ICE, Im uncomfortable with the heater on.
I also dont feel for me that pre heating the cabin is a big benefit. Clearing the screen of ice is good but beyond that if its 0C outside the cabin temperature will quickly drop again when you drive off. So a little bit of comfort on short journeys at a battery cost is not the way for me. Its not being mean, its being green!
Same with speed. On longer jouneys I drive between 60 and 65. It generally only adds minutes to the journey time compared with 70-80. Its the traffic at the end and start of my journey that drags my average speed down.
Ultimately its a choice and you can mitigate the colder running temperatures to some extent and moderate your drive style which can make the difference between needing to stop for a charge or reaching your destination squeazing your range on a longer jouney.
Bottom line. My ID3 is the first car in a long time that I get a buzz from very time I drive it.
Agree with lots of this - driving style in particular. I find the range can vary massively when driving at 60-65 and then at 68+ - seemingly up to 40 miles of range difference across the whole length of the journey. This is going to be uncomfortable for many as I have spoken to many drivers who regularly cruise at 75 - the idea of reducing this to get more range is a no-no and some would rather just wait until electric cars have 600 mile + ranges to make this a realistic option. For me, as a driver who loves to cruise at a lower speed and challenge myself with how far I can get on one charge, staying in the inside lane and just slipstreaming lorries, its fun!

One thing I would say is pre-heating isn't just for comfort benefit - it does also help to warm up the battery and ensure the overall performance is better when you start driving, rather than from a 'cold' start. I generally put it on for 20 minutes or so before a longish journey. I tend to leave the AC on at 17 degrees for pre-heat, then turn off as soon as I start driving.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Good point with the battery Olly. That passed me by. It takes quite a few miles before I have full green and full blue on the battery availability bar icon. It prob has a proper term? As for speed/velocity. Energy consumption is proportional to the square of the velocity.
All other things being equal, travelling at 75mph requires 56% more energy for 25% increase in speed. At 80mph its 78% more energy.
That burns everything out quicker in the longer term to get you to the next congestion spot a few minutes earlier.
I still like to push on sometimes but have mellowed much as a result of driving 20k miles a year on the M25 as my commute before retiring.
Maybe you know the QandQ Bridge and the Dartford Funnel etc. πŸ˜’
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

This thread is really interesting to me as a prospective new EV buyer.
I knew temperature and driving affected range but not by this amount.
I am used to driving with A/c on and 22-24C plus a lot of long 70 mph drives on motorway. I was assuming I would get 200-250 mile range which is essential for my regular journeys. Seems I was in cloud cuckoo land. Regretfully it looks like I will need to stick to diesel until range issues are resolved.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Salmonfisher wrote: ↑Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:31 pm This thread is really interesting to me as a prospective new EV buyer.
I knew temperature and driving affected range but not by this amount.
I am used to driving with A/c on and 22-24C plus a lot of long 70 mph drives on motorway. I was assuming I would get 200-250 mile range which is essential for my regular journeys. Seems I was in cloud cuckoo land. Regretfully it looks like I will need to stick to diesel until range issues are resolved.
I dont look at the matters here as issues but instead drivers for a change in how I approach my motoring. That said, even with an increased desire to save the planet for my Grandchildren I dont think I could have gone for an EV if I was still travelling 50 miles each way on the M25 back and forth to work. Car was my only option.
The question of whether an EV will suit you is really your average journey. I occasionally will do a 200 mile trip, maybe once a month in Spring - Autumn. I would happily do that in my ID3. My regular journeys are however less than 20 miles a day.
Have you considered it that way?
Dave
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22