Long distance trip

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
duncsand

Post by duncsand »

I’ve just done my first long-distance trip of nearly 500 miles, travelling from south of London to north of Edinburgh. A few experiences / tips:

1. I pre-planned my stops, trying to find places with many chargers, so my risk of finding a site with just one or two chargers that might be in uses/broken was minimised. In practice this worked really well and I had no issues with charger availability.
2. I avoided running the battery really low, which made it all very stress-free as I knew I had plenty of options should my planned charge site be full. The lowest % my battery got was 19%.
3. The car generally charged faster than I could make a toilet stop, stretch my legs and get a coffee. I wasn’t hanging around waiting for it at all.
4. ACC is a complete dream on the motorway - just set it to your desired speed and let the car handle all the acceleration/braking. I found this a huge benefit and reduced fatigue. Also, I find the ID.3 seats (Family Pro Performance) really supportive/comfortable, which helps a lot for someone like myself who suffers from back pains on long trips.

In terms of charge locations, I used 3 on my trip - Gridserve Rugby, Gridserve Burton-in-Kendal, Ionity Gretna. All are recommended, Rugby especially as the whole setup is about perfect with nice modern facilities for food etc. I would have stopped 3 times anyway in my previous diesel for biological breaks, so really this was no different. My conclusion? Long distance travel in an ID.3 is easy!
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

A good report, I feel the same with mine,
Hopefully some of the people who drop in , in curiosity will read this positive report
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Agree with everything you said :)
One slight downside I've found with ACC on a busy road is that I can drive more economically myself, but it's a minor thing.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I find the charging rates with gridserve chargers to be pretty poor, but they're plentiful and generally well maintained on the motorway services, as well as being competitively priced. I'm lucky if I average 40kW charging rates on these so called 125 and 150kW rated chargers between 10 and 80%. Perhaps the battery is too warm after doing almost 200 motorway miles, to give optimal charging rates?
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:08 pm I find the charging rates with gridserve chargers to be pretty poor, but they're plentiful and generally well maintained on the motorway services, as well as being competitively priced. I'm lucky if I average 40kW charging rates on these so called 125 and 150kW rated chargers between 10 and 80%. Perhaps the battery is too warm after doing almost 200 motorway miles, to give optimal charging rates?
No, it's just that the older Gridserve chargers (that come in groups up to 3) are slow because they are limited by the supplies that were in place for the old ecotricity chargers, your car isn't the problem. Gridserve have now admitted none of them will do >60kw, and I suspect you only get that in an 800V car. I always get between 35 and 45kw.
The Rugby and Burton sites are both hubs with lots of high power chargers that will throw anything at the car it can take.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Agree with the OP.
Aa an aside I would definitely recommend using ACC in Normal mode rather than Eco. Far more responsive and inline with other motorway driver behaviours.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:14 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:08 pm I find the charging rates with gridserve chargers to be pretty poor, but they're plentiful and generally well maintained on the motorway services, as well as being competitively priced. I'm lucky if I average 40kW charging rates on these so called 125 and 150kW rated chargers between 10 and 80%. Perhaps the battery is too warm after doing almost 200 motorway miles, to give optimal charging rates?
No, it's just that the older Gridserve chargers (that come in groups up to 3) are slow because they are limited by the supplies that were in place for the old ecotricity chargers, your car isn't the problem. Gridserve have now admitted none of them will do >60kw, and I suspect you only get that in an 800V car. I always get between 35 and 45kw.
The Rugby and Burton sites are both hubs with lots of high power chargers that will throw anything at the car it can take.
Wetherby services, just outside York has a new bank of 8 Gridserve 150kW units. I didn't see them and headed straight ti the old ones, getting 28kW! Then I noticed them while wandering the car park waiting for my car to charge at a paltry rate. Plugged in there and got 57kW, and an M3 was getting 67kW. Not great, but massively better than the older units.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Is there an app for Gridserve chargers? How do you use them?
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

durhamlad wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:07 pm Is there an app for Gridserve chargers? How do you use them?
Hi
No app, just turn up plug in and tap your contactless card. There will be a pre auth on the account before you get charged for the charge
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Warminster id wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:41 pm
durhamlad wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:07 pm Is there an app for Gridserve chargers? How do you use them?
Hi
No app, just turn up plug in and tap your contactless card. There will be a pre auth on the account before you get charged for the charge
Excellent, thanks for that.
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***
EVCal

Post by EVCal »

Thanks for posting. Very informative and reassuring.

I have the pleasure of driving from Bradford to Inverness next weekend, when I pick up my ID3 and head home.
The Zap-map App looks to be really informative and hopefully accurate!
I've planned my journey stops already and hope to use the App during the journey to keep me updated of charger availability as I go.
iD3 Max Pro Performance 58kWh. All bells. All whistles. Software Version 3.0
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

It's the chargers, not the car. I ran my ID.3 at 80±mph (130kph) for 500± miles in a day in the summer with Aircon and the car laden, still saw 128kw charging at 10% battery
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If the battery starts to get to warm, the car cools it, there is an active cooling system for the battery.
It's actually charging that adds more heat than motorway driving. If you arrive at a rapid already quite hot and charge at a high rate the cooling system will likely be active. If, despite this, it still heats up, then when it reaches approximately 50C the charge rate gets throttled a bit to prevent it heating further. It's a very minor thing in MEB cars though. There are YouTube videos evidencing this.
I very much doubt you will ever get the battery close to 50C just through driving on a normal road. Maybe if you took it to the Nurburgring where you are putting down maximum power a lot of the time.
duncsand

Post by duncsand »

I've just done the reverse journey, back home to southern England from Scotland. I stopped again at Gretna, as it's perfectly located for my first charge on leaving Scotland. I had to q for about 15 mins as it was quite busy – motorway chargers seem a bit short on the ground north of Gretna, so I suspect this location gets used a lot because of that. No problem though and the other EV owners were very friendly to chat to. Everyone was very polite and keen to make sure the right car was next to charge - a very positive experience that restored my faith in human nature. My other two stops are very simple and quick. I stopped again at Rugby, which is definitely my favourite charging location - nice and modern, lots of food options and loads of fast chargers! Overall I feel very positive about long distance driving in the ID.3 – I didn't stop more often than I would in a diesel, as driving 500 miles is pretty tiring in any car!
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:27 pm
Wetherby services, just outside York has a new bank of 8 Gridserve 150kW units. I didn't see them and headed straight ti the old ones, getting 28kW! Then I noticed them while wandering the car park waiting for my car to charge at a paltry rate. Plugged in there and got 57kW, and an M3 was getting 67kW. Not great, but massively better than the older units.
I've just come back from a week up in East Yorkshire (and North). Discovery of the trip for me was the Hyper Hubs at Monks Cross and Poppleton Park and Ride sites on the A64 (bit of a detour if your just passing on the A1(m) though.
4x50kW chargers and 4x175kW on each site. All week they were @ 25p kWh. Over the road from the Monks Cross one in the Park and Ride parking area there was an area with 30 7kW chargers. I think similar is in progress at Poppleton.

Got 98kW briefly on one day..