Podpoint Charging using Podpoint schedule slow charging since 2.4 upgrade

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
wr21lge

Post by wr21lge »

Hi,

Since the car got the 2.4 preparation update for 3.0 over the air (not happened yet) the Podpoint scheduled charge only runs at ~3.6kwh instead of the expected 7kwh.

We never used the car schedule, we never selected reduced AC charging - always been Podpoint schedule to align with Octopus Go 00:30 to 004:30 at 5p a kwh.

Worked fine until the first charge after we got the car back which started this 3.6kwh charging (spiking to 4kwh occasionaly according to the Tronity data feed).

If you just plug the car in with the schedule PodPoint deactivated then you get 7kWh @ 25p / kWh. (This tarriff expires at the end of the year)

Anyone else on Podpoint have this issue post 2.4?

My best guess is that car goes in the huff if it does not get a charge straight after connection (hence the charging errors).

I note the suggested Ohme charger practice of droping the voltage on the pins and brininging it up again just before the schedule starts to simulate the cable being pulled and re-connected.

I have suggested this to Podpoint but no feed back as yet.

Cheers

Adrian

PS

Podpoint said : EV and EVSE have to comply with IEC 61851-1 Edition 3. This standard defines the communication protocol between the car and the charger. Pod Point meet the requirements set in this standard.

I have been reading all about IEC 61851-1 Edition 3 - but not actuailly paid to download the standard as yet.

Oh and this 17 minute video gave me a working background on things:
id3 Tech Pro Reg March 2021 bought 1st of November 2021 (Ex Demo)

rwh202

Post by rwh202 »

Some more discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2070

We had the same issue with our pod point scheduled charge, but only for the first charge since 2.4.
There was then a 5 minute OTA update that may or may not have changed things, but subsequent 5 charges have been back at 7+kW

As you say, there are some fairly straightforward specs for the charging comms - the id3 should set its charging current according to the duty cycle of the PWM signal on the control pin. When it wakes from slumber it either isn't seeing what it should or choses to do some other logic.
ID.3 Business - Moonstone
wr21lge

Post by wr21lge »

Podpoint have told me today that they will be putting some prototype software into the charger 'soon' to see if that fixes it.

They tried something previously and It has done one or two 7kwh charges on the schedule.

We got the 2.4 update on the 30th of October.

The car has been plugged in every night since the 30th - so it is a low success rate.

The Tronity graphs show the car mostly at 3.5kWH with spikes to 4kWh - not even capable of guessing what happens there.

Tronity_graph.PNG

id3 Tech Pro Reg March 2021 bought 1st of November 2021 (Ex Demo)