The new ID.3 update coming next spring

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Volkswagen will be unveiling the new ID.3 to the public this coming spring. The second-generation ID.3 is set to be the latest chapter in the ID. family success story: To date, more than half a million ID. models – built on the basis of the modular electric drive matrix (MEB) – have been delivered to customers around the world. Currently, the ID.3 is produced at the Zwickau and Dresden plants in Germany. However, the production network will be expanded next year to include the main Volkswagen factory in Wolfsburg. This is in order to meet high levels of customer demand for the fully electric compact car.

Volkswagen has released a number of preview sketches of what it has termed “the second-generation” ID 3, which suggest it will receive a relatively subtle exterior update. Expect a new-look bumper, new vertical air ducts on either side of the central air intake and new LED headlights. The bonnet also looks to have been reworked, including the removal of the black panel at the bottom of the windscreen.

The interior has reportedly been given a more thorough makeover, including a 12in infotainment touchscreen that replaces the old 10in unit. It sits on a restyled dashboard, and will run a new generation of VW’s software that the firm claims is faster and able to receive over-the-air updates.

Fi9iehRWAAArda5.jpg

“The new ID.3 demonstrates our commitment to quality, design and sustainability. The design has matured, and we’ve upgraded the materials used in the interior”, says Imelda Labbé, Volkswagen Board Member for Sales, Marketing and After Sales. In coming up with the revamped version, the development team took on board a range of suggestions from customers in order to improve the product and enhance the standard equipment package: “The needs of our customers are always front and centre for us. That’s why we listen carefully and focus on gearing our product portfolio to their requirements”, Labbé adds.
The new ID.3 is equipped with the latest software generation, which improves system performance and is able to receive over-the-air updates. In addition, the standard equipment package has had an upgrade: it now includes a display with a diagonal measurement of 12 inches (30.5 centimetres), a removable luggage compartment floor and a centre console with two cup holders.

Functions such as Plug & Charge and the intelligent Electric Vehicle Route Planner make the charging experience in the new ID.3 even more straightforward and convenient. VW is using the latest generation of fully integrated assist systems in the ID.3. Stand-out examples of this are the optionally available Travel Assist with Swarm Data and the Park Assist Plus with Memory Function.

“Part of our mission at Volkswagen is to offer state-of-the-art technologies and innovations across all models, including compact vehicles, and the ID.3 exemplifies this – for example when it comes to new convenience and assist systems:we are taking the next step forward on the way to highly automated driving with the use of swarm data in the latest Travel Assist”, explains Kai Grünitz, Member of the Volkswagen Brand Board of Management responsible for Development.

DB2022AU00964_medium.jpg

DB2022AU00963_medium.jpg

Fi9iehQWQAQiSq2.jpg

Fi9iehQWQAACGes.jpg

Fi9iehOWYAAQX80.jpg

daern

Post by daern »

Rob wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:16 am The new ID.3 is equipped with the latest software generation, which improves system performance and is able to receive over-the-air updates. In addition, the standard equipment package has had an upgrade: it now includes a display with a diagonal measurement of 12 inches (30.5 centimetres), a removable luggage compartment floor and a centre console with two cup holders.
So, the one from the Cupra Born, then? It's not the software that needs an update - it's the processing power beneath it and that the Cupra Born's UI is every bit as sluggish as the ID.3...it just has a bigger screen to be sluggish on.
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

I'm not sure how much you can read into those pictures are they are missing legally required features (light and hazard buttons). But it does look like they are adding some leather to the dash.

Thanks for sharing!
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

I ordered Family Pro Performance with assistance pack plus on 8th Jan 2022. Most recent update is code 10 week 17 of 2023. I am very keen to keen to keep on the list for Family and Asst Pk Plus features (matrix headlights etc). I asked a few months ago about the Bike Rack Preparation and was told "don't do that - it will further delay your order". I do not have a desperate need for the car (got a couple of small ICE cars at home that I am happy with for the meantime). What does the forum think.

Might I get a "facelift" model built in March 2023 and delivered in say April/May 2023 if I do nothing?

Or is there a danger that I will get a Mk1 (non facelift) machine?

Do I suddenly decide that I need the Bike Preparation and be prepared to wait say another 6 months if I get kicked down the queue (and get the facelift)?

Or take what I get, then re-order in say a years time for Mk2 facelift?
Ordered 11 Jan 22,
Order number 3159****
Family pro performance , Kings Red, assist pk plus, Derry.
build history:
Aug22 Code 20, build week of 46
mid Oct 22 Code 20, week 16
mid Dec 22 Code 10, week 12
19 Dec 22 Code 10, week 10
26 April 2023, delivered
N21

Post by N21 »

Looks the same besides faux-leather panels and a bigger screen? Sounds like we’re not missing much!

(I understand this reeks of confirmation bias, of course… :P )
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

The delivery caveats on the original press release are interesting - German customers can order via the configurations shown but what they see will not be what is delivered from Q4 2023 which will be the new facelift models. So still approximately 12 months..
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
whittaker52

Post by whittaker52 »

The concept sketches aren't really going to give a proper impression of what's coming to production, we'll have to wait and see what the actual changes will be when they release photos of real cars. It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on current UK orders and whether they rush to push the older models out, or hold orders to upgrade them to the new facelift.
MY 2023 58KW Makena Turquoise Max Pro Performance
Ordered: Mid-September 2021
Delivered May 31st 2023
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

If the centre console is removable, does that make it likely that it won't have wireless charging and USB ports in there?
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I'm guessing that not many people on have have seen car manufacturers concept art before. The reality is rarely recognisible.

2020122101_VW_ID.3_ok.png

Sanya

Post by Sanya »

You can see the designers intent and many elements were carried forward even though much was engineered out.
Family Pro Performance | Glacier White | Sanya 20” alloys | Delivered March 2022
3rd time EV owner | BMWi Pure wall box.
marknorton1

Post by marknorton1 »

When they say unveiling in the spring is that suggesting that factories will be retooled etc to be building this facelift at that time or of course leading up to it or are we just going to see their intent in a real model ready for full launch later in the year? I guess there’s a whole load of Max and Tours on order currently which I’m not sure they would want to give essentially a free upgrade to the facelift on given that the deals we’ve already had are likely to be far better than what you would get ordering right now.
ID.3 Tour Pro S - Glacier White
Ordered circa Sept 21 by Plan Car Leasing
Build week - Unknown, advised March 23 delivery
Order Number - 31401131 - Changed to 31401162
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

The other thread on a similar topic has a link viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2582

At the bottom of that link it states
"*Due to the current supply situation for semiconductors and the existing order backlog, Volkswagen estimates that the ID.3 Pro models Life, Business, Style, Max and the ID.3 Pro S model Tour will not be delivered to customers before the fourth quarter of 2023. Based on current planning, production of the enhanced version of the ID.3 will have begun by this time. This means that the vehicle delivered will not be that shown by the configurator or on the contract at the time the customer places their order; instead, customers will receive the enhanced ID.3 model. The vehicle may differ from the order scope, but any such differences will be to the customer’s benefit – with the following exceptions: ID. steering wheels were previously trimmed with leather; this will be replaced by a high-quality leather substitute. Due to the enhancement of the design as described above, the WLTP consumption and range figures for the vehicles may differ from the currently stated figures by up to 2 percent."
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

daern wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:48 am
Rob wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:16 am The new ID.3 is equipped with the latest software generation, which improves system performance and is able to receive over-the-air updates. In addition, the standard equipment package has had an upgrade: it now includes a display with a diagonal measurement of 12 inches (30.5 centimetres), a removable luggage compartment floor and a centre console with two cup holders.
So, the one from the Cupra Born, then? It's not the software that needs an update - it's the processing power beneath it and that the Cupra Born's UI is every bit as sluggish as the ID.3...it just has a bigger screen to be sluggish on.
To be fair, I found the Born UI to be really slick vs my 2.3 ID3...until I registered with the app and then it was slow. Maybe the communication between the 2 is the bottleneck. Might uninstall the app and see if things speed up again.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
phixion

Post by phixion »

I still hate that they decided to use piano black plastic on the interior. Worst design decision ever, especially on places like the door handles.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
marknorton1

Post by marknorton1 »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:51 pm The other thread on a similar topic has a link viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2582

At the bottom of that link it states
"*Due to the current supply situation for semiconductors and the existing order backlog, Volkswagen estimates that the ID.3 Pro models Life, Business, Style, Max and the ID.3 Pro S model Tour will not be delivered to customers before the fourth quarter of 2023. Based on current planning, production of the enhanced version of the ID.3 will have begun by this time. This means that the vehicle delivered will not be that shown by the configurator or on the contract at the time the customer places their order; instead, customers will receive the enhanced ID.3 model. The vehicle may differ from the order scope, but any such differences will be to the customer’s benefit – with the following exceptions: ID. steering wheels were previously trimmed with leather; this will be replaced by a high-quality leather substitute. Due to the enhancement of the design as described above, the WLTP consumption and range figures for the vehicles may differ from the currently stated figures by up to 2 percent."
Cheers for that, I’m in no rush to be honest, my pcp ended recently and paid the balloon off so can wait until it hopefully arrives and if I get a facelift to boot then that’s all good as far as I’m concerned!
ID.3 Tour Pro S - Glacier White
Ordered circa Sept 21 by Plan Car Leasing
Build week - Unknown, advised March 23 delivery
Order Number - 31401131 - Changed to 31401162
s9bl

Post by s9bl »

marknorton1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:14 pm When they say unveiling in the spring is that suggesting that factories will be retooled etc to be building this facelift at that time or of course leading up to it or are we just going to see their intent in a real model ready for full launch later in the year? I guess there’s a whole load of Max and Tours on order currently which I’m not sure they would want to give essentially a free upgrade to the facelift on given that the deals we’ve already had are likely to be far better than what you would get ordering right now.
My guess is that this will be for MY24. That would make sense if they're expecting Q4 builds to see this update.
Max, Glacier White, MY23, Software 3.2
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

I follow the English twitter channel of VW Sachsen - According to the pre-series vehicles are already in assembly, unfortunately they haven't replied to my ask for pictures :)
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
phixion

Post by phixion »

Sucks that our cars are going to look old already.

Funny, when I first went to view the car I said "what's this plastic bit for on the bonnet?". I never did quite understand that design "feature".
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

Badge engineering is as old as the motor industry.
Don't be conned. If you have a car that you like and enjoy driving, it doesn't matter if Joe Bloggs next door has a newer "improved" version.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

JohnEG wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:05 pm Badge engineering is as old as the motor industry.
Don't be conned. If you have a car that you like and enjoy driving, it doesn't matter if Joe Bloggs next door has a newer "improved" version.
To go along with that, I just saw on the Battery Life YouTube channel that the prices for the ID3 are going up, pretty dramatically. Starting in Germany at €44k for the lowest price with the Tour going for €56k! I'm glad I got mine when I did, don't think I could justify the higher costs.
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker