Chargers at camping sites

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Andy1966

Post by Andy1966 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-64901247
Some good points made here, a few strange ones like the national grid not being able to cope with more EV’s ….
But the point about the tax on public charging is something that has to be addressed.
Ordered 31st Oct 2021 - Family Pro Performance
Original delivery date 31/04/2022 now 12/01/2023
Updated build date Wk 50
Finally collected 21/01/23
Order number 31064***

Goode

Post by Goode »

As the RAC state what is needed are more charging hubs. To increase the number of chargers on such remote sites would require substantial re cabling which is going to be too expensive. There is no chance of a reduction in VAT on commercial charging. Just compare that with the fuel duty ICE vehicle drivers are paying.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

We live in a holiday area and have a small campsite. We allow use of our charging point but have yet to be asked about it. There is a much larger site a few miles away that has 2 Podpoint 22kW outlets. They are little used and we often charge there as they are cheaper and quicker than home. I don't see the need for high power chargers at camp sites as most cars would charge overnight.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Yep, slow AC charging at destination charging and rapid chargers en-route e.g. motorways is what's generally needed.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Navigator

Post by Navigator »

There is a limit as to how many 7/22Kw chargers can be installed at any one spot which depends on the local mains supply. Without additional supply pylons many areas will never have enough capacity. It's a local supplier ( and government) problem.
The government was so keen to go green but as with doctors and schools near new housing estates, it only 'sees' the problem after they have been built. There has been no forward planning that i'm aware of.
soupdragon

Post by soupdragon »

I wonder if they could replace all the petrol stations at campsites with EV charging stations?

Tongue in cheek of course, but if you are at a campsite, what's wrong with a 3 pin plug? Arguably, because there is a standard electrical supply there already, as it stands, it already more convenient than with an ICE car. Faster chargers would be great sure, but its not like charging can't take place as it stands.
Family Pro Performance Moonstone Grey East Derry Alloys :D
Order No 3150xxxx :)
Ordered around middle of October 2021 :?
Build date still unknown - due wk38 then email from dealer to say it will be delayed further than this :oops:
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

soupdragon wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:43 pm I wonder if they could replace all the petrol stations at campsites with EV charging stations?

Tongue in cheek of course, but if you are at a campsite, what's wrong with a 3 pin plug? Arguably, because there is a standard electrical supply there already, as it stands, it already more convenient than with an ICE car. Faster chargers would be great sure, but its not like charging can't take place as it stands.
When you say standard electrical supply, what do you mean, campsite electric pitches are not on a dedicated 80A fuse. Chances are it's a 10A or a 16A if your lucky. In europe it's probably half that.
They were designed for a fridge, some lights and maybe a TV and satellite. Many of them won't cope with a 3kW Kettle let alone having a car plugged in for 12 hours and certainly not both.

With ref to the Article, I notice that none of these EV articles mention that the overall Electrical Consumption in the UK has been in decline since 2005. There's about 50TWatts headroom ;)
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:08 pm
soupdragon wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:43 pm I wonder if they could replace all the petrol stations at campsites with EV charging stations?

When you say standard electrical supply, what do you mean, campsite electric pitches are not on a dedicated 80A fuse. Chances are it's a 10A or a 16A if your lucky. In europe it's probably half that.
They were designed for a fridge, some lights and maybe a TV and satellite. Many of them won't cope with a 3kW Kettle let alone having a car plugged in for 12 hours and certainly not both.

With ref to the Article, I notice that none of these EV articles mention that the overall Electrical Consumption in the UK has been in decline since 2005. There's about 50TWatts headroom ;)
For the reasons you mention, and because many campsites are remote from decent grid power supplies, I personally think it's unreasonable to expect to be allowed to plug an EV in at a campsite unless the campsite owner has a couple of bookable dedicated charging spaces. I don't want to see big infrastructure projects out in the national parks to provide new charging infrastructure for campsites there either. I don't see the problem with being unable to charge at some destinations, it just requires people to plan and charge before they arrive or elsewhere during their stay.
I haven't read the original article but I strongly suspect I would find it annoying...
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.