New ID.3 with Transport Hitch/Bicycle Carrier Prep

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

My ID.3 - Business version in Makena Turquoise with bike carrier prep - is due to be delivered next week. Can anyone confirm that I will be able to fit a tow-bar mounted bike carrier such as Thule or Witter that fits a standard 2 inch tow ball?

I'm exited to be getting my first electric car. Should I expect it to be fully charged when I collect it? Anything I need to look out for when I get my new car?

My current Golf is being passed on to my daughter. Lucky girl, it has been a great car.

Best wishes to all, Andy G :D

kaiz

Post by kaiz »

I can:

ID3_AHK_2.jpg

:D
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Andy_G wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:14 pm Should I expect it to be fully charged when I collect it? Anything I need to look out for when I get my new car?

Mine was charged, but it depends on the dealer.

Have the We Connect ID app on your phone, with an account created and logged in ready for pairing the car.

Good luck for new car day :-)
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

So I just picked up the car. something seems wrong with it....

Cant_fill.jpeg

Mine was 100% :)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

You can fit a witter or a Thule carrier subject to weight and clearance restrictions.

Have a look here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=499
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

kaiz wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:03 pm So I just picked up the car. something seems wrong with it....
Cant_fill.jpeg
Mine was 100% :)
Brilliant picture - thanks for this giggle.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

A guy on the UK Facebook group posted his transport hitch kit installation this afternoon - he's not using the VW bike carrier though:

"Atera DL3 bike rack, 14.5kg, 13 pin plug, so all the lights are working. It’s recognised by the car with no issues."
Amarcord

Post by Amarcord »

Andy_G wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:14 pm My ID.3 - Business version in Makena Turquoise with bike carrier prep - is due to be delivered next week. Can anyone confirm that I will be able to fit a tow-bar mounted bike carrier such as Thule or Witter that fits a standard 2 inch tow ball?

I'm exited to be getting my first electric car. Should I expect it to be fully charged when I collect it? Anything I need to look out for when I get my new car?

My current Golf is being passed on to my daughter. Lucky girl, it has been a great car.

Best wishes to all, Andy G :D
    Hi Andy G & others. I just joined the forum as I await delivery of an id3 Family with transport hitch next week (just managed to get a big saving pre-reg, still with govt grant, after grants for new reg cars withdrawn!).

So, my question is ... have you, or anybody else here, (yet) experienced any problems or compromises using a Thule (or other 3rd party) carrier with the id3 transport hitch, as compared with the VW Compact 2 or 3 carrier?

I'm a bit precious about risk of damage to the frames of my bikes from overtightened frame clamps. Thule, for example, offer (protective) torque limiter knobs for the clamps, & I doubt the VW carrier offers those. So I'd rather attach a Thule Compact 2 (co-incidentally same name as VW, but different rack) with the torque knobs.
    Moonstone Family Pro Perf with transport hitch
    Sparky

Post by Sparky »

You can fit a witter or a Thule carrier subject to weight and clearance restrictions.

Have a look here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=499
    Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

I had my first outing yesterday with Thule bike rack fitted. Everything worked well. The only issue was that I couldn't get the key out of the tow bar lock. Amy ideas?
    DarrylBadger

Post by DarrylBadger »

Just the pics I was looking for. Can the bike rack gubbins be retro fitted to my ID.3 or does it have to be a factory fit?
    2021 ID.3 Pro Performance Family - Scale Silver

Sign up with Octopus Energy for 4.5p per kWh overnight charging using this link: https://octopusenergycode.co.uk and get a £50 reward
    kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Andy_G wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:27 am I had my first outing yesterday with Thule bike rack fitted. Everything worked well. The only issue was that I couldn't get the key out of the tow bar lock. Amy ideas?
    It goes out in certain lock position.
    Hard to figure out, but the lock can be pressed and turned. :P
    kaiz

Post by kaiz »

DarrylBadger wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17 am Just the pics I was looking for. Can the bike rack gubbins be retro fitted to my ID.3 or does it have to be a factory fit?
    Mine was dealer retrofitted, but vw original. (Do you mean the hook, or carrier?)
    DarrylBadger

Post by DarrylBadger »

kaiz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:35 pm
    DarrylBadger wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17 am Just the pics I was looking for. Can the bike rack gubbins be retro fitted to my ID.3 or does it have to be a factory fit?
    Mine was dealer retrofitted, but vw original. (Do you mean the hook, or carrier?)
    The hook. Good to know that they can be retrofitted.
    2021 ID.3 Pro Performance Family - Scale Silver

Sign up with Octopus Energy for 4.5p per kWh overnight charging using this link: https://octopusenergycode.co.uk and get a £50 reward
    kaiz

Post by kaiz »

I bought the car from dealer to get 16% tax in 2020 and must be was heat pump and bike hook.
    Didn't get turquise color but can live with it and dealer offered almost half a price for retrofitting hook (390€ factory, abt. 1000€ price, offer for 570€ fitted).
    Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

Andy_G wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:27 am I had my first outing yesterday with Thule bike rack fitted. Everything worked well. The only issue was that I couldn't get the key out of the tow bar lock. Amy ideas?
    I have an Atera rack - the key is stuck in unless you have fully locked the rack. When attaching the rack to the tow hitch this often means an extra squeeze on the lever.
    Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

I think that I can't get a retrofit on my 1st? Anybody have any experience of this?