Forum ads!

Suggestions & Help using the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

A huge advert space has started appearing at the top of the forum and of every post. Is this just me or everyone, and can it be removed? Along with the recent change in the order posts are displayed it has made the forum much less usable.
Thanks

Edit - there are more ads further down the page too. They are slow to load making the whole thing feel laggy.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

Yup. Totally agree about the recent change in the appearance/ order of the posts. I understand the ads fund the site though, so maybe not a lot can be done about that.
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:17 am A huge advert space has started appearing at the top of the forum and of every post. Is this just me or everyone, and can it be removed? Along with the recent change in the order posts are displayed it has made the forum much less usable.
Thanks

Edit - there are more ads further down the page too. They are slow to load making the whole thing feel laggy.
I started getting the ads yesterday too and I hate them.
I was wondering if I had inadvertently turned some setting off or on. Glad it's just not me, but they really make using the forum unpleasant.
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

I’m in Italy at the moment and the one at the top of the page, at a minimum, is coming out in Italian. So at least I can’t understand it!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The speed and topic order is something I am looking at.

The ads though is strange as I’ve actually significantly reduced the ads in the site. There have always been ads but Google used to place them in random places or in the middle of posts. All I have done is fix the location and reduced the amount by at least 50%.
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

Your efforts are much appreciated Rob.
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Rob wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:17 pm The speed and topic order is something I am looking at.

The ads though is strange as I’ve actually significantly reduced the ads in the site. There have always been ads but Google used to place them in random places or in the middle of posts. All I have done is fix the location and reduced the amount by at least 50%.
Sorry but I never noticed the ads before. They are now really problematic to the extent I will probably stop using the site much.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Rob wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:17 pm The speed and topic order is something I am looking at.

I'm sorry but despite obviously good intentions the situation has been far worse the last day or two for me. Before I never noticed the ads but they are now very intrusive (I use Android tablet/phone).
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I'm sorry but despite obviously good intentions, the change a day or two has made the site far less usable for me (fwiw I view the site on an Android device). Before I never noticed the ads but they are now really intrusive.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Very sorry about duplicate posts. I kept getting "http error 500" so I thought they hadn't posted. I'm now getting the same error when trying to delete the most recent one. Hopefully this post works.
Last edited by sidehaas on Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
EdinburghID3

Post by EdinburghID3 »

I use Gener8 on my iphone which blocks the ads.

You have to be prepared to share data with them (anonymously) but you also get reward points in return that can be redeemed for gift cards etc.

Referral link if interested- https://refer.gener8ads.com/r/1ipccG
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey
Software v3.2
Zappi V2 Charger

Octopus referral code - https://share.octopus.energy/ready-ape-905
(Currently £100 split 50/50)
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

AdBlock with Chrome stops all the ads.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
StewartManley

Post by StewartManley »

I'm using Edge (with "block ads" on) on Android and see no ads. Perhaps folk should learn how to block ads on their platform of choice.
2021 Tour Pro S, software v3.2, Stonewashed Blue.
lntelligent Octopus Go. Zappi. Solar.
EV driver since early 2018. E-cyclist. Retired.
Octopus referral https://share.octopus.energy/tough-lark-325
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:58 am

Sorry but I never noticed the ads before. They are now really problematic to the extent I will probably stop using the site much.
I never noticed the ads before either, and find them really intrusive and detrimental to the user experience.
I use Edge on my PC and thought I had ad blocking but will investigate further to see if there is a setting I can use to get rid of them. Any tips or pointers will be welcome!
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

I use the Firefox browser with the free AdBlock Plus add-on and don't see any of these intrusive ads.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I've tried a different browser and I'm not getting the ads there, so I guess something must have changed with my Edge setup as I definitely wasn't getting them the way I am now before this week. I will investigate further...
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

So AdBlock seems to have got rid of the ads on Edge which is good news for me. Puzzled why I wasn't getting the ads before though...