3.2 software update cancelled

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
shire-dweller

Post by shire-dweller »

Here’s a couple of hints for those getting the car software updated from 2.3/2.4 to 3.1/3.2.

First hint. After the update, in order to have access to the full range of features of the new “mobile online services”* through the Volkswagen app (formerly We Connect ID app) and as a pre-requisite for using smart tariffs such as Intelligent Octopus or Ovo Charge Anytime, you will need to purchase (currently at a cost of £0) subscriptions to the “We Connect” and “We Connect Plus” digital services from the We Connect Shop. Additional optional subscriptions include “Games,” “We Charge” and “Vehicle Service.”

* Services listed under Settings -> “Mobile Online Services” in the Volkswagen app (formerly We Connect ID app) including: Vehicle Status, Vehicle Health Report (including current mileage), Temperature Notifications, Plug & Charge, Personalisation, Parking Spaces, Parking Position, Online Voice Control, Online Traffic Information, Online Route Calculation, Online POI Search, Online Map Update, Online Destination Import, Internet Radio, Departure times, Charging Stations, Automatic Service Scheduling. A small subset of these services may still be available without the new subscription purchases after upgrading from 2.3/2.4 to 3.1/3.2.

I was unaware of that after my car was updated, and I spent the last weekend trying to figure out why I couldn’t complete the Intelligent Octopus tariff setup. The Octopus Energy app would give an error message that was not helping me: The connection was successful, but we couldn't find any available vehicles. Ensure your vehicle has location settings turned on. Ensure your vehicle has been updated to the latest firmware version. The Volkswagen app, in turn, under Settings -> Mobile online services, would report “This service is not currently available for use,” which I was taking to mean that they were still under development or their servers were under maintenance or something.

I wish those error messages included: “Please go to the We Connect Shop and purchase the We Connect and We Connect Plus subscriptions”. Lots of wasted time, aargh! And I shall not elaborate on my opinion on having to purchase digital service subscriptions from a car manufacturer in order to have access to low cost tariffs from an energy supplier. Currently VW is charging £0 for those subscriptions and they did not require entering a credit card number, but unless they envisioned eventually increasing that price, they wouldn’t have arranged it in the format of purchases from an online shop with a shopping basked and a checkout.

The second hint is about the Settings -> “Optimised Battery Use” switch in the Volkswagen app (formerly We Connect ID app). This switch is described as: ”By using the high-voltage battery, more energy is available in the vehicle for operating via the app (affects range).” I had this switch turned off (the default, I think). After I purchased the We Connect and We Connect Plus subscriptions for all those new digital services and after I eventually successfully activated the Intelligent Octopus tariff, I noticed that the Volkswagen app, under Settings -> “Mobile Online Services”, had red low-voltage warnings for the 12V battery. And before you ask, yes, my 12V battery was replaced half a year ago in a VW recall, so that’s not the explanation. Then I switched on the “Optimised Battery Use” switch and, a few hours later, the red low-voltage warnings (12V battery) were gone. Presumably, the new digital services take their toll on the 12V battery. Also, I understand that the Intelligent Octopus tariff wakes up the car every half an hour to check on plug-in events, which also takes its toll on the 12V battery. I assume that the Optimised Battery Use switch causes the high-voltage battery to regularly switch on in order to recharge the 12V battery, even when the car is parked and disconnected from a charger. There are obvious pros and cons to this, but the worst-case scenario would be for the 12V battery to run out and rescue services to be required, so for now I am keeping that switch on.
Split £100 with me when you switch to Octopus: https://share.octopus.energy/snow-lark-143
Split £10 with me when you join Electroverse: https://electroverse.octopus.energy/sign-up/magic?referralCode=steel-crow-18264

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Thanks shire-dweller, that will almost certainly be essential information for me when (if) my car is ever updated: it had its 2-year service today and I was told, with lots of glum faces, that the 3.2 update/recall is "not going as well as we'd hoped sir/madam, lots of issues and your car is unlikely to make it to the top of our list this year" (and then, quietly, so as not to upset anyone within earshot, "best thing to do is to put it off as long as possible to give VW a chance to sort out its software")
id3 Max 2021
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

SinglePointSafety wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:01 pm Thanks shire-dweller, that will almost certainly be essential information for me when (if) my car is ever updated: it had its 2-year service today and I was told, with lots of glum faces, that the 3.2 update/recall is "not going as well as we'd hoped sir/madam, lots of issues and your car is unlikely to make it to the top of our list this year" (and then, quietly, so as not to upset anyone within earshot, "best thing to do is to put it off as long as possible to give VW a chance to sort out its software")
I do hate messages from dealers slating the update success. True some cars have had issues but I am sure many, many, many have gone through fine. (Mine included).
When I had my transport hitch fitted at Martins Basingstoke they wanted to actively book my car in for the update (which I'd had done a couple of days before at their sister garage in Andover). No negative messages from either garage
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

The service person told me that their 'problem rate' with the id3 3.2 recall/upgrade is about 1 in 5 (but I don't trust a single word they say, ever, and wonder if the failure rate correlates with their expertise). This is the same dealer that never has anyone to answer the phone in the service department, they apparently have a policy of never, ever returning calls, and sure, yes, you can email them, but don't expect any response

So, thanks smyth1492, I might give Martins a call
id3 Max 2021
Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

My car is due in for 3 something update on 17th July. Had heard that you need to hand in both keys to ensure all updates are successful, checked with service centre today, told this was true but also told that update may be delayed due to problems with previous cars.

I really do feel sorry for my service centre. They have always been open and honest about possible delays in previous update problems and they are “front of house” when dealing with what appears to be a root problem with the VW software management.
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Funny, I offered both keys when mine went in but they insisted on keeping only one. Maybe that’s why it failed!
Kabfab

Post by Kabfab »

Just got car back from 3.2 update. Online option works until car turned off again. So in view of your helpful comments am trying various App “buttons” and leaving overnight to settle in. Hoping for the best. Can’t see 12v battery comment but I think you said appeared after Octopus update
webw06

Post by webw06 »

My ID.3 Max went in for the v3.2 update on June 19th. Got the car back a week later after some bumps along the way. Car has been driving okay so far.
Jimmybones100

Post by Jimmybones100 »

My Tour has been updated,but the technician is taking it home to see if its gonna start tomorrow morning.
I would rather it doesn't start on him than me.We will see tomorrow.
G4XUR

Post by G4XUR »

Mine has now be cancelled 3 times! Next appointment is beginning of August! They do have some problems it appears, software integrety, over the air connectivity issues, module status issues and the big one lack of adequate training for the customer interface Garage/supplier/those legally respinsible; tyre recall issue as a specific point at this stage! Never mind VW has almost expired all their reputation of reliability/service/ customer care since 1047 when Bettles were supplied to customers!!
Jimmybones100

Post by Jimmybones100 »

Picked up my tour,cleaned and fully charged.So far 3.2 seems better than 2.4 and no problems,4 new tyres and battery and car check done,hope nothing will go wrong
Have logged in too.we will see....
Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

Booked car in for 3.0 or 3.2 update in first week in May and given date of 17th of July for update.
Contacted garage a few days ago to see if I needed to supply both keys. Was told I should hand in both keys as a precaution but they had been having several problems recently with updates - problems with HV battery and drive system problems - they would confirm my booking in a couple of days.

Received phone call on Friday 14th at 17:30 to tell me they were unable/unwilling to carry out update on 17th. They seemed to have yet another car or cars failing during upgrade ( 5 or 6 in total) and referred me to another centre which was capable of dealing with HV battery problems.

Have contacted HV centre and now in another queue for update.

Have always thought VW software was lacking but now seriously thinking that I will change to another maker when time comes. Probably go back to Kia if they bring out similar car to iD3, had Niro before but not keen on new design.

PS HV centre have now given me a date for 3.2 upgrade - March 2024!
Last edited by Gannet15 on Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
goldconch

Post by goldconch »

We are doing some due diligence on buying an off-lease ID.3 online. If VW software developments can't be shared with registered customers and updated automatically over wifi in 2023, that's a worrying situation for us. The big appeal of buying a future-forward EV is the relief of not having to go back to a stealership for anything, least of all a software update. Tesla software "recalls" are pushed to registered customers online in minutes, without appointments, small talk, cups of tea, spirits hampers, or loaner cars.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Car went in this morning at 08.00 as pre booked back in May. This was the first attempt to get in in. Its also gone in for the battery check.
Currently its sitting at the dealer locked up with 0% charge and it looks as if the update may have gone in as the app is now showing Vehicle Health.
Fingers crossed its all going well.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Lencooke

Post by Lencooke »

I had a 3.2 software update a few months ago at my local dealership.
All went well except the infotainment system has lost the FM/DAB radio station logos database. Logos
are present on internet radio stations only. Its a minor issue but an annoying one.
Left it in to the dealer for a fix but the say they cannot fix it until VW have found a fix. They don't know when it will get done.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Well after a day and a half I have my Tour back from dealer.
Both the battery check and 3.2 update completed. No problems with the battery thankfully.
Driven 60 miles back from dealer and no reported issues. So far so good.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
pldawid

Post by pldawid »

I live in Poland, my upgrade from 3.0 to 3.2 was supposed to take 2 days and it took 3 weeks. My car was bricked durning the process. There was another person with that issue, at the same dealership and he had to wait 3 months for the car to be fixed. But when they fixed that persons car, mine took like 2 days to get working. I think they have the problems resolved now.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

Mine went in yesterday for the update and it has been completed successfully today. Picking up later on. The loan car was a Golf with a manual box on a 23 plate. I really can't see the point in gears anymore. Spent yesterday on A11/M11/M25/dartford crossing and A21. A DSG based golf or and ID.x would be a much better drive in these conditions (Stop/start, speed up, slow down etc). Left leg is now twice the size of my right :)

The most impressive thing about the golf was the little button on the end of the indicator stalk. Press it once and the first thing that pops up in the speedo console is an option to switch off Lane Assist. Then press the OK button and lane assist is off for that journey.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Splitty wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:20 pm Mine went in yesterday for the update and it has been completed successfully today. Picking up later on. The loan car was a Golf with a manual box on a 23 plate. I really can't see the point in gears anymore. Spent yesterday on A11/M11/M25/dartford crossing and A21. A DSG based golf or and ID.x would be a much better drive in these conditions (Stop/start, speed up, slow down etc). Left leg is now twice the size of my right :)

The most impressive thing about the golf was the little button on the end of the indicator stalk. Press it once and the first thing that pops up in the speedo console is an option to switch off Lane Assist. Then press the OK button and lane assist is off for that journey.
So mine went in this morning and I also got a 23 reg Golf as a loan car. But the worst thing was, there wasn’t any petrol in it, so I had to try and remember how to put fuel in it.
EdinburghID3

Post by EdinburghID3 »

Scratch wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:24 pm
Splitty wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:20 pm Mine went in yesterday for the update and it has been completed successfully today. Picking up later on. The loan car was a Golf with a manual box on a 23 plate. I really can't see the point in gears anymore. Spent yesterday on A11/M11/M25/dartford crossing and A21. A DSG based golf or and ID.x would be a much better drive in these conditions (Stop/start, speed up, slow down etc). Left leg is now twice the size of my right :)

So mine went in this morning and I also got a 23 reg Golf as a loan car. But the worst thing was, there wasn’t any petrol in it, so I had to try and remember how to put fuel in it.
😂
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey
Software v3.2
Zappi V2 Charger

Octopus referral code - https://share.octopus.energy/ready-ape-905
(Currently £100 split 50/50)