Clicking all night long

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
TwyRob

Post by TwyRob »

As per here

My car has been clicking regularly, like it does once usually after a few minutes if left standing. It won't go to sleep and it insists that I want a 100% charge. It's like it won't go to sleep.

Others are reporting it too. It started at 1640 when I got home early yesterday.

Anyone else have this?

Rob
Max Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise
Ordered 26/10/21
Delivered 21st April 2023

Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Yes with our Cupra Born. I think I sorted it by using the Start / Stop button for switching.on/off and also resetting max charge to 80%; seemed to have been reset to 100%.
Franksie

Post by Franksie »

I had major issues charging last night, normally no issues with IO but VW app kept popping up with 12v battery low !!!!! FFS VW as if your software wasn't shit enough you do this! They seriously need to get a grip of this mickey mouse IT software dept get someone in from Tesla to sort it
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Franksie wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:37 am I had major issues charging last night, normally no issues with IO but VW app kept popping up with 12v battery low !!!!! FFS VW as if your software wasn't shit enough you do this! They seriously need to get a grip of this mickey mouse IT software dept get someone in from Tesla to sort it
I had this on my Cupra Born 1 week ago. On the Cupra app there is an option you need to select called "High voltage battery protection " which then stops the 12v messages.
s9bl

Post by s9bl »

Just taken a look at my state of charge over the night. Lost 3%, so I assume it has done the same thing:

wtf_vw.JPG

Max, Glacier White, MY23, Software 3.2
s9bl

Post by s9bl »

https://www.meinid.com/thread/616-kurze ... post210362

> Hotline has confirmed failure of some backend servers. It is being worked on. Until then, switch ID offline to prevent waking up.
Max, Glacier White, MY23, Software 3.2
TwyRob

Post by TwyRob »

s9bl wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:00 am https://www.meinid.com/thread/616-kurze ... post210362

> Hotline has confirmed failure of some backend servers. It is being worked on. Until then, switch ID offline to prevent waking up.
Thanks. I'm trying it and will report back.

Not sure how I will find out when it works again though.
Max Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise
Ordered 26/10/21
Delivered 21st April 2023
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

s9bl wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:51 am Just taken a look at my state of charge over the night. Lost 3%, so I assume it has done the same thing:
wtf_vw.JPG
Yes loss of 3% here as well.
shire-dweller

Post by shire-dweller »

3% here too. In a single night, has VW wasted enough energy to power 110,000 UK households for a day or 300 UK households for a whole year?!

That’s my back-of-an-envelope calculation. 3% of a 58 kWh ID.3 battery is 1.74 kWh. I understand that the issue affected all vehicles that use the CARIAD Volkswagen Automotive Cloud, which is all ID cars (ID.3, ID.4, ID Buzz, etc) and possibly other makes and models too. Half a year ago, Volkswagen published that they had already sold 580,000 ID vehicles. For the sake of argument, lets say that 500,000 such vehicles were online yesterday night and each lost 1.74 kWh of energy. That’s 870,000 kWh in total. The average UK household consumes 2,900 kWh of electrical energy per year or 2,900 / 365 = 7.94 kWh/day, so 870,000 / 7.94 = 109,572 households for a day or 870,000 / 2,900 = 300 households for a year.

To be honest, I don’t know if I blame VW anymore than I blame the collective of humans that decided that it was a good idea to connect all things to the cloud and have them centrally controlled. From insulin pumps to boilers to electric cars to military drones. The consequences are so obviously predictable. What if instead of a VW blunder, it was a cyberattack that made all ID vehicles start charging at 6pm Central European Time on a cold January day? That’s the mother of all blackouts for you in western Europe, including the UK. What’s more, we are in a military race to advance AI capabilities and put them in control of autonomous killing machines (I’ve just watched Unknown: Killer Robots) because if we don’t, the Chinese or the Russians will. When the Artificial General Intelligence finally arrives, it will have at its disposal a world where everything is connected to the cloud, and the killing machines too. I don’t think it will be our complete extinction because I believe the AGI will find us useful for some greater purpose of theirs. They may settle on killing 99% of humans and enslaving the rest. Day in, day out, we are investing massing capital and human resources towards that end, while depleting what’s left of natural resources, destroying biodiversity and wreaking havoc on the climate. The Anthropocene has barely started, but how long will it last?
Split £100 with me when you switch to Octopus: https://share.octopus.energy/snow-lark-143
Split £10 with me when you join Electroverse: https://electroverse.octopus.energy/sign-up/magic?referralCode=steel-crow-18264
Handydave

Post by Handydave »

Yes, ours lost 4% the night before last and 3% last night. on both occasions settings mysteriously changed to charge to 100% and to disable automatically release connector.
ID.3 Family 58kWh Pro Performance 204PS | Makena Turquoise | East Derry Alloys
Delivered: May 2023
Albertlondon

Post by Albertlondon »

My car wasn't affected, no loss of battery at all. I've taken it offline just in case. I do wonder if it is only affecting cars that have been driven recently, not used mine since Saturday.
Max Pro Performance ordered Nov 21
Stonewashed Blue
Steel wheels
Build week 46 2021, model year 22
Delivered 16/6/22