Greetings from sunny Yorkshire

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
The RovingGeneral

Post by The RovingGeneral »

Hello everyone. We pick up our 2 1/2 yr old ID3 pro performance Business this Thursday. Its felt strange buying a secondhand car. Not that I am a car snob, but just bought the last few cars brand new. I just couldn't stretch to a new Id3 but manage to find one with one owner and only 9.000 miles on the clock. Bit of a bargain. Shame it has those steel wheels so that might have to change quite quick.
I have a charger on order but wont be fitted till the end of August. I have our electric supply with OVO who are supplying the charger and have an anytime charge rate of10p per KWH. So that should help with the costings. Am I nervous, yes. Apprehensive yes, but hoping its not as much doom and gloom as some on the TV keep reporting.

AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

Greetings! I had to work really hard to stretch to a new ID.3. It's not perfect but nothing is; make up your own mind. Mine is the fastest, quietest car I've ever had. I'd get another one too.

This is also the first car that I've paid someone to come and clean for me regularly - I've actually gone that far - unbelievable that I like it that much!
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
ChrisTurner

Post by ChrisTurner »

I'm also in Yorkshire (West). It does take a bit of time to get over the anxiety, but so far - best car I've owned I reckon. Motorway journeys with ACC go so quickly and painlessly.
Last edited by ChrisTurner on Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Id3 Life Pro 145PS Moonstone Grey (with cycle carrier and heat pump as extras) ordered 2nd October ‘21.
"Confirmed" build - week 34 (22nd August).
Collected on 26th September '22.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The RovingGeneral wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:41 am Hello everyone. We pick up our 2 1/2 yr old ID3 pro performance Business this Thursday. Its felt strange buying a secondhand car. Not that I am a car snob, but just bought the last few cars brand new. I just couldn't stretch to a new Id3 but manage to find one with one owner and only 9.000 miles on the clock. Bit of a bargain. Shame it has those steel wheels so that might have to change quite quick.
I have a charger on order but wont be fitted till the end of August. I have our electric supply with OVO who are supplying the charger and have an anytime charge rate of10p per KWH. So that should help with the costings. Am I nervous, yes. Apprehensive yes, but hoping its not as much doom and gloom as some on the TV keep reporting.
They are great cars. Ironically it was my first ever brand new car - I've always bought around 3 years old before but wanted to go electric and that required buying new at the time for something decent. If I was buying now with more choice available, I'd have gone used like you.

Most of the stuff in the press is garbage. I assume what you have read is largely about charging infrastructure. Some of it has a kernel of truth. I recommend before going on a long journey to do some research about rapid chargers, how to find them and how to use them. Then do a bit more research to learn where the best charging sites are on routes you commonly drive. If you are using public chargers partially until your home charger is installed, it should give you a bit of a head start getting over any initial anxiety. Once you've learnt what you are doing charging on longer routes is very straightforward. Key things are learning how to use an app like zapmap, learning how to estimate your range, learning what charging operators are reliable (thankfully now most) and sticking only to sites with 4-6 chargers or more when you really need a charge on a long journey. This series of videos, although now 3 years old, is still useful:

The Battery Life youtube channel has some good detailed videos about the car, for people new to the ID3. He had a 1st edition so some details have become obsolete with software updates, but the vast majority still applies.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Mike77

Post by Mike77 »

Hi, welcome to the joys of electric vehicles. Other than to say "hello", I am replying to your post as I saw that you have signed up for OVO Charge Anytime. I have had my id.3 for a couple of years and I have just had the 3.2 software update. First thing to note is that you need 3.0 or above for OVO Charge Anytime. A couple of things that you might find useful. Firstly after having 3.2 installed at the Dealers, which went fine, I could not connect to the car through the We Connect app (now called VW app). I was about to call the Dealer the next day but I suddenly had an OTA update alert in the car for We Connect. Following this very short update I could get into We Connect. However, Charge Anytime would still not not function as the OVO app was telling me that it could not locate the car. I spoke to OVO and ended up deleting my account and setting up a new one; still no joy. Looking on this Forum I saw a thread about Octopus Charging Woes (May); this contained the answer to my problems. I went to the shop (on the infotainment system), "bought" We Connect and We Connect Plus and an hour later my location was available on the VW app and ............. on the Charge Anytime app. I have yet to try a charge (already at 80%), but I am pretty confident that OVO Charge Anytime will now work on my "dumb" charger. Hope this helps!
Sanya

Post by Sanya »

Waving from sunny Doncaster
Family Pro Performance | Glacier White | Sanya 20” alloys | Delivered March 2022
3rd time EV owner | BMWi Pure wall box.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Good choice. Great car. Don’t believe the doom mongers.
BTW - where Is sunny Yorkshire? Is it in Greece somewhere?
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Hi Roving General,

I'm in the same boat as you, picked up my 2 year old ID3 a few weeks ago with only 8k on the clock.

Lots of short and one long trip, and no issues whatsoever, the car is quiet, comfortable, economical and appears well screwed together, plus delivers exactly the range as quoted by VW, depending on driving conditions, AC/heater use etc.

The only minor niggle is an occasional failure of the car to log on to 4G, but so what? Doesn't detract from the driving experience one bit.

I agree with the previous comment, there's a great deal of rubbish on the web and in the motoring press, I did a huge amount of research before purchase and for the money the ID3 is the best out there, and SH prices are excellent at the moment. The ID3 is even superior to the ID4 in some respects, in my view.

The motoring press is falling over itself to come up with new brands that offer a superior product for less money (BYD, CUPRA, MG), however, we've yet to see how trade in values for these hold up, and it will be at least five years before we can start to assess long term biild quality issues (ID 3 included).

I would personally change the steel wheels for alloys, purely a personal choice.

Enjoy the car, ignore the begrudgers.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
shire-dweller

Post by shire-dweller »

Scratch wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:03 pm BTW - where Is sunny Yorkshire? Is it in Greece somewhere?
The Greek one would be Burning Yorkshire.
Split £100 with me when you switch to Octopus: https://share.octopus.energy/snow-lark-143
Split £10 with me when you join Electroverse: https://electroverse.octopus.energy/sign-up/magic?referralCode=steel-crow-18264
The RovingGeneral

Post by The RovingGeneral »

Thank you everybody. And just for the record its raining here in Yorkshire. But cos we are a hardy bunch. It is still T shirt and shorts weather. Thanks Mike 77 I will come back to this thread if I have an issue. Our charger isn't been installed till the 30th of August now.. Bit of a mixup somewhere along the line. But a month wait is nothing. And at a push I have the granny charger. Which I was surprised I had to buy separate.