Tyre wear

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
daern

Post by daern »

Cupra Born, Goodyear EfficientGrip 215/50R19 93T @ 8,900 miles:

4.8mm rear, 6.0mm front (lowest reading is in the centre groove)

No idea what they were at new, but clearly chomping through rears far more quickly than fronts.
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

daern wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:58 pm Cupra Born, Goodyear EfficientGrip 215/50R19 93T @ 8,900 miles:

4.8mm rear, 6.0mm front (lowest reading is in the centre groove)

No idea what they were at new, but clearly chomping through rears far more quickly than fronts.
That will be all that extra power and 'sportiness'..
daern

Post by daern »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:28 am That will be all that extra power and 'sportiness'..
I think it's much more likely to be my wife's overly-heavy right foot... ;-)
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

daern wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:41 am
G43FAN wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:28 am That will be all that extra power and 'sportiness'..
I think it's much more likely to be my wife's overly-heavy right foot... ;-)
Moto: Don't drive in high heels. (N.B. did I get away with that?)
mez

Post by mez »

My ID3 EATS tyres. It is shocking. From delivery (brand new) the first set of factory-fitted (Bridgestones) tyres barely lasted 6 months. Yes 6 months. So much for the gentle daily school runs providing super-long tyre life..

The car is now 2.5 years old and the second set of tyres (Goodyears) have today been flagged by the workshop saying they all had cuts, with cord showing and so need replacing. The tyres would fail the 1st MOT (which is in 5 months) they say.

So the Goodyears did better, lasting nearly 2 years - but damn I would expect much longer tyre life.

I have no idea what is going on with the tyres on this car. The wife uses the car 90%+ of the time and is a very gentle driver. Usually 1-2 passengers. 12,000miles/year. We don't spend weekends rally-driving on gravel tracks! Is this wear and tear to be expected from "heavy EVs"? Or is it something to do with the ID3? Or is it down to regen braking? I wish I knew.

With hindsight I would have taken a monthly maintenance/service package (but do they cover tyres??).
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Suspect many have already said but tge Bridgestone is rubbish !
Fortunately ours came with Contis and we are in our 2nd set having done 51k and still plenty of west snd grip us much better on Contis as well

I had Bridgestone on my golf GTE and that ate them very quickly and was relieved put cross climates on which transformed the car with better toad holding and much better wear and no discernible difference in noise

Ditch the Bridgestones asap!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

My car was new in October 2020, I had two punctures within a couple of months, both required new tyres. Since then I've done over 17,000 miles and the (Goodyear 19") tyres are coming towards the end of their life. I was expecting to need to buy new tyres for the car's first MOT, but my car is currently at the dealership for its softwre 3.2 update - and there are two other recalls, one of which is tyres, and they've told me my car has been fitted with four new Goodyear tyres as part of the recall.

Apparently there was a batch of Goodyear 19" tyres fitted to early ID.3s which have a tendency to split around the sidewalls. I wonder whether some of the comments here about 'cut to the cord' problems might in fact be faulty tyres which should be changed as part of the recall?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
PaulJohn

Post by PaulJohn »

My ID.3 had Bridgestone Turanza tyres fitted from new, also.
After 7,500 miles, my rear tyres are 3.5mm in the middle and 4.3mm at the edges.
Fronts are 5mm in the middle and 4.5mm at the edges.
I'm going to have to resist using the performance.
I will be switching to Michelin CrossClimate 2 for the winter.
I had hoped to make the two sets last for four years but it looks as if I will have to replace my summer tyres next year.
I will switch to Continental EcoContacts.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

The bridgestones were shocking. My rears were nearly gone at 10,000 miles and the left rear got a slow puncture so I had to replace them slightly prematurely. I put Michelin E Primacy on, did 13,000 miles on them and barely even noticed any where, still loads left. However I had to change those due to something dropped a lot of rubbish on the M40 and myself and about 4 other cars all got holes in their tyres.

I've got e Primacy on the front's still at 15,000 miles and they look new! Would definitely recommend.
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Thanks for the recommendation, CarterHounslow! What are they like for quietness?
peterg

Post by peterg »

Sorry if someone has ready mentioned this but there is a recall on tyres for certain age ID3 due to tyre wear.. ours is a 70 reg and main dealer is replacing all tyres for free. £700 of good news, you just have to ask about the recall at the dealership.
Tony Cr

Post by Tony Cr »

I recall that Michelin tyres at new have 8mm of trend as do other premiums but cheaper tyres come with less. I have an Id3 ProPerformance (21). With 16000 on the clock I have 5mm at front and 4mm at rear. I do not therefore agree with the extra wear but I do not flog my car (re torque). On my experience I would estimate a set of tyres might give 25000 or more before needing to be replaced. Given the size of the wheels that is reasonable.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Tony Cr wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:22 pm I recall that Michelin tyres at new have 8mm of trend as do other premiums but cheaper tyres come with less. I have an Id3 ProPerformance (21). With 16000 on the clock I have 5mm at front and 4mm at rear. I do not therefore agree with the extra wear but I do not flog my car (re torque). On my experience I would estimate a set of tyres might give 25000 or more before needing to be replaced. Given the size of the wheels that is reasonable.
The 18" Bridgestone and Continental tyres on new ID3s both come with around 6-6.5mm. I'm not sure about Goodyears. Bridgestones get a lot of flak but not the Contis. Ours has done over 17000 miles on them and there is plenty of tread left. At most they have lost 3mm, which is much less than previous cars I have run. Although the starting depth is low, so is the wear rate.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

peterg wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:21 am Sorry if someone has ready mentioned this but there is a recall on tyres for certain age ID3 due to tyre wear.. ours is a 70 reg and main dealer is replacing all tyres for free. £700 of good news, you just have to ask about the recall at the dealership.
This is just on Goodyears. It's because of concerns about the inner wall splitting.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Bobp

Post by Bobp »

Worth pointing out that legal limit is 1.6 mm so no problem at 5mm hardly worn. My family pro came with Continentals and I am very happy with them. In for service in a couple of weeks so look forward to dealer's findings.
ID3 Family pro, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry alloys, Heat Pump. (Sept 2021)
Zappi charger, solar panels