Window winder buttons - Journalists just don't get it

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Am I alone in getting hot under the collar with motoring journalists, in particular their reviews of the ID.3 and some of the things they complain about. I think they probably read each other's previous work, and then echo the complaints that others have raised.

So, I can sympathise, somewhat, with the universal complaints about the steering wheel haptic touch controls. It is too easy to graze them by accident, and change the radio station or something.

I can even agree that the infotainment screen has had a lot of bugs, mostly now resolved by updates.

The plastic door trim and lower dashboard feel cheap, but the facelift has apparently resolved that problem.

But why do ALL the journalists complain about the window winder buttons in the driver's door? Everyone seems to think that the provision of just two buttons is VW pennypinching. To operate the rear windows you have to touch the surface just ahead of the buttons marked 'REAR' which then illuminates and the buttons work the rear windows instead of the front ones. I doubt if any journalist has read the manual which explains that if you hold the REAR surface for three seconds the illumination flashes, and then you can operate all four windows together with one button. Brilliant for closing all the windows when you reach your destination and all your passengers have done a runner slamming the doors behind them but leaving their windows open. Or if someone in the car has farted and you need to clear the air quickly.

Personally I think there's another benefit of the two button approach. I tend to operate the window winder by touch when I'm driving, including when I approach the ordering window at a drive-through coffee joint. In my previous (four button) car I embarrassed myself more than once by confidently winding the window down and turning in my seat to place my order only to discover I've opened the rear window by mistake. No such error likely in an ID.3.

I don't think I've read a review that fails to complain about the two winder buttons - and I read all of them. I've never read that the journalist has discovered the hidden superpower of these buttons.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Ironically I get annoyed with the constant complaints about the haptics, I think they work really well :D
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:04 pm Ironically I get annoyed with the constant complaints about the haptics, I think they work really well :D
;) :)
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

I guess I am somewhere in the middle.

If the REAR window button worked reliably then it would be ok.

But for me touching the REAR button often does not change its state, so either I find I can't open the window I need to at a toll booth or I can't shut a window when leaving the car.

I find haptics on the steering wheel are the only touch surfaces which are reliable, partly I suspect this is because the response is instantaneous unlike the other haptics.

The climate controls by touch sometimes work and sometimes don't, sometimes this is just a delay, as touching again repeats or cancels the previous action. So setting temperatures takes a lot longer than it should.

Thanks for the education about the REAR button universal mode, I hadn't spotted that, in my defence getting to know the car would be a lot easier either with a paper manual or better on screen navigation of the vehicle wallet. However 4 window buttons on the drivers door and holding one down/up for 5 seconds could equally have accomplished the same function.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I am another member of the 2 button club. I think it was a great idea and works really well.

I used to press the rear buttons thinking it was the front button but no more! Yup, great idea and I don't think I have had any need to use the rear windows anyway.

As for the haptics, oddly, I like them as well!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

I have had an ID3 Tour from new for the last 2.5 years.

1) The haptic steering wheel buttons work just fine for me - never had a problem.
2) The "scratchy plastic" on the door trims work fine for me - then I dont go round scratching them every 5 minutes
3) I can't remember me having a need to lower a rear window on all my A/c cars for at least the last 20 years so the 2 window buttons are a zero issue for me.
4) Climate controls I hardly ever touch them and if I do they work fine
5) No illumination of the volume control slider is a minor issue as I rarely drive at night
6) Yes the infotainment system is a bit laggy, but has improved.
7) The RHD/LHD wiper argument I don't understand - works fine for me (RHD)

I guess the car journo's have to write about something but they all copy each other with the same old overblown BS IMHO.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Worth checking out the Top Gear online review of the new facelift model, despite the reviewer stating that the car had improved in almost every area, the overall score was 7/10, the same as given for the original 20/21 model. Hilarious!

A lot of rubbish in the motoring press about the car in my view.
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Boattrainman wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:15 pm A lot of rubbish in the motoring press about the car in my view.

They have to sell the papers* some how!

*website/social media etc
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Razormark

Post by Razormark »

After 25.000 miles in almost two years of ownership I tend to agree with you all regarding the window buttons. Even though I was not sold on them at first, I am now. It is really great to lower down the windows with the help of a simple switch. It helps to cool down the car on my way home since the outside temperature is over 30°C during the summer time where I live.
The only thing I really hate so far is the lack of backlight at the bottom of the main screen.
TimF

Post by TimF »

HeidiFlowerpt Driver wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:49 pm .... I doubt if any journalist has read the manual which explains that if you hold the REAR surface for three seconds the illumination flashes, and then you can operate all four windows together with one button. ...
Reading the manual is a mammoth task. The 2020 pdf which I collected thanks to info on this forum has 708 pages.

Even after almost two years with the car, I suspect I DON'T know most of the detail, and probably don't know some of the major things!
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

I agree, the online manual means it is not very accessible for an extended study. I like to read the manual from front to back when I get a new car, but I haven’t got very far with this one after 18 months.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Its over 700 pages, but there are a lot of page introductions, graphics and irrelevant disclaimers and what not.

There's about 250 pages of good stuff in it, read it on a large screen, iPad or computer monitor.

Alternatively, there's a really good vid on youtube with tips and tricks, I watched this a couple of times in conjunction with the manual, very helpful for customising the infotainment screen etc.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
phixion

Post by phixion »

I like the 2 buttons for the windows, I had a courtesy car the other day and it had the older style 4 buttons and it just seemed very ugly and cluttered.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

Ok, this thread seems to be leaning too one way so I need to restore some balance :twisted:

I actually dislike the 2 button approach. In general I actually really dislike the whole touch button (Haptics?) approach everywhere in the car. I do still suffer from bugs or issue (currently on 2.4) where I pull ont eh button to put the window up, and for what ever reason the car decides it will wind the window down further. The is great while its chucking it down with rain. It does the same on passenger side too (never with the back though), but if the windows are open and needing to rush to close them, the whole touch to select front and back while driving at 60 makes it a right mess on.

However I can tolerate the windows scenario, but the haptics on the steering wheel and infotainment for me causes headaches. Having to mess on with a screen to adjust temp, phone, sat nav, and having it so far back while being touch and your hands shaking up and down.... I know better for next time I guess :)
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

TheMack wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:53 am Ok, this thread seems to be leaning too one way so I need to restore some balance :twisted:

I actually dislike the 2 button approach. In general I actually really dislike the whole touch button (Haptics?) approach everywhere in the car. I do still suffer from bugs or issue (currently on 2.4) where I pull ont eh button to put the window up, and for what ever reason the car decides it will wind the window down further. The is great while its chucking it down with rain. It does the same on passenger side too (never with the back though), but if the windows are open and needing to rush to close them, the whole touch to select front and back while driving at 60 makes it a right mess on.

However I can tolerate the windows scenario, but the haptics on the steering wheel and infotainment for me causes headaches. Having to mess on with a screen to adjust temp, phone, sat nav, and having it so far back while being touch and your hands shaking up and down.... I know better for next time I guess :)
To use the screen while driving, put your fingers on top and press with your thumb. Prevents vibration/shaking being an issue.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

TheMack wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:53 am Ok, this thread seems to be leaning too one way so I need to restore some balance :twisted:

I though the point of this thread was to redress the balance given that there are plenty of threads making these out to be negatives.
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:11 am

To use the screen while driving, put your fingers on top and press with your thumb. Prevents vibration/shaking being an issue.
The problem unfortunately still remains I have to lean forward by a good distance in order to reach it. I cannot touch a single control (outside of steering wheel and window controls) while sat normally int eh car. Either my legs are disproportionally longer than my arms or this design was intentional lol.
G43FAN wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:40 amI though the point of this thread was to redress the balance given that there are plenty of threads making these out to be negatives.
Sorry, I dont have a mag or youtube channel to vent on ;)
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

I actually dislike...

bugs or issue (currently on 2.4) where I pull ont eh button to put the window up, and for what ever reason the car decides it will wind the window down further. The is great while its chucking it down with rain. It does the same on passenger side too (never with the back though), but if the windows are open and needing to rush to close them, the whole touch to select front and back while driving at 60 makes it a right mess on.

I don't mind the two buttons and mode button approach, but I'd describe it as over-optimised.
However the feature of holding the mode button briefly to select _All_Windows_ and then toggling them down/up with the first window button might help. Or it might go from one window half-open to all open in the rain, whatever. I liked it for opening the car up when we had a hot day.