Solar + Battery thoughts

The place to discuss everything else..
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

In case it's of any help, I've had my system for about three years now. 12 x 375W panels, 5kW inverter, Tesla Powerwall 13.5kWh battery. All in the system cost about £14,000, split roughly evenly between the solar and the battery.

I don't think the Tesla Powerwalls are currently easy to come by, so if I was buying now I might choose a Myenergi Libby with either 10kWh or 15kWh capacity, depending on budget. I'm very pleased that I have as much as 13.5kWh storage, it works very well for me, such that I rarely use any peak rate grid electricity at all. In summer the solar panels recharge the battery during the day, which then runs the house through the night. In winter the battery charges using Octopus cheap overnight rate electricity and then runs the house until the following night. If I had a smaller battery I would certainly be using at least some peak rate electricity.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Ensure your installer has insurance to cover you if there is a problem is HIES accredited and is MCS certified.

I have a 14 panel system capable of peak 5 kwh and cost £12.5k with bird grid protection and 9.5 kwh battery storage for £3.5k. Very happy with this system.
bazmac

Post by bazmac »

Sorry I missed this

It's all going great with the sonnen.
No issues and it does all that I want it to do.
If you have any specific questions ect, just send them to me.

Cheers
58k Pro Performance
Glacier white
East derrys
Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

bazmac wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:13 am Sorry I missed this

It's all going great with the sonnen.
No issues and it does all that I want it to do.
If you have any specific questions ect, just send them to me.

Cheers
I'm about to have my 5th inverter installed in less than a year, so just wanted the reassurance that it does work for someone! :roll: Originally Sonnen had only offered a video call to the installer but now they're going to send a tech out to look over the whole installation, so fingers crossed that will fix everything once and for all...
Family PP (Turquoise with East Derry alloys)
Ordered Oct '21 (Tusker/Marshall Fleet)
Built '22 wk33, delivered wk41

Zappi 7kW Black tethered
4.5kWp solar with 7.5kWh battery

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-sun-45
bazmac

Post by bazmac »

Sorry to hear that, you are the only other person I know of that has sonnen installed so 50% success rate isn't great.
Hopefully the tech sorts it.
58k Pro Performance
Glacier white
East derrys
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

If it is any help, my solar panels are east-west so never get 4kwh even on a bright sunny day. That said it averages 2.5 - 3.5 kwh over the day so capable of charging my car. However, it won't charge your car if your home is using electric or your battery is re-charging or you are heating your hot water!
I bought my solar panels 12 years ago for £6400 inc an inverter and they have paid for themselves in tariff income over the first 10 years.
I then decided to get a 4 kwh Growatt home battery ( which is'nt large enough) and then an EV. (VW ID3 2021)
I am very happy with the situation as I don't drive very far any more. As I say to everyone who asks - do your research and check it against your driving activity.
I am happily doing about 4.6 miles p kwh but when I drove up the M5 for the first time I was amazed I only got 3.6. Obviously I was driving at a higher average speed and you are not braking on a motorway so get no regenerative power.
Hope this helps.