Key fob issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
apm101

Post by apm101 »

Our ID.3 is a couple of years old. No real issues to speak of.

In the last few days, the key fob has stopped opening the car- I have to use the key, and then turn the alarm off when I open the car (the fob seems to work for this).

Fob seems to work fine after this.

It's for both fobs.

Could it be the fob batteries need replacing?

Thanks in advance!

Alex.

fin

Post by fin »

Hi Alex - I would try changing the batteries as a first step,
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It could possibly also be to do with the key fobs not being synced up with the car? I believe this can be addressed by placing the keys in the cupholder with the key symbol for a while when driving. I think this is covered in the electronic handbook. But could equally be the battery.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Bobp

Post by Bobp »

Had similar issue 1 year in, changing batteries cured it. Car is now 2 years old and had same issue. Changed batteries again, now all OK.
ID3 Family pro, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry alloys, Heat Pump. (Sept 2021)
Zappi charger, solar panels
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I had to change my key fob batteries at about 30 months in
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

My ID3 told me the battery needed to be change just a few weeks ago (car two years old). I changed it, no problems before or since.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
danielt

Post by danielt »

Just replaced batteries in both key fobs. Suggest avoiding cheap CR2032 batteries! I had no luck with any of the cheap ones I keep in stock for other uses (which work fine in other equipment). The dealership can sell VW OEM batteries but when I said I first said I was having problems they suggested Duracell would be reliable in the zapper (and so far it has been).
steve

Post by steve »

Raxacorico wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:45 pm My ID3 told me the battery needed to be change just a few weeks ago (car two years old). I changed it, no problems before or since.
In what way did it tell you? Mine simply stopped working!
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

steve wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:00 am
Raxacorico wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:45 pm My ID3 told me the battery needed to be change just a few weeks ago (car two years old). I changed it, no problems before or since.
In what way did it tell you? Mine simply stopped working!
Message on the main screen! I was surprised to say the least.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
steve

Post by steve »

I didn't get that. It's amazing how inconsistent ID3s can be!
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

steve wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:02 pm I didn't get that. It's amazing how inconsistent ID3s can be!
My recollection is that the message I got flashed up and disappeared quite quickly - easy to miss.

I find warning messages quite often disappear before I have had time to fully read them. Could do with them being kept in a log that you can view from the infotainment. But it seems once they are gone the are gone.