Tronity subscription - or not?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

I have the Tronity app, which has recently improved such that it looks, possibly, genuinely useful to an ID.3 driver.

I've had a free trial, which expires at the end of this month, and they're pestering me to subscribe, either to their 'premium' service at about £30/year, or the 'professional' service which is about £70/year but with this one they're offering a lifetime 50% discount, so to me it would be 'only' £35 odd.

I can't find what they're offering for the different levels of service, or if there will be a 'standard' or 'lite' service for those who choose not to subscribe, which might provide a service I might still find useful.

Is anyone using Tronity? Have you subscribed? What are you getting for your money?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

This page gives details of the different packages, what else were you trying to find out?
https://www.tronity.io/en/pricing

It was originally free to ID owners due to limited functionality, this has been resolved I believe hence the 'new' data.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

G43FAN wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:58 pm This page gives details of the different packages, what else were you trying to find out?

It was originally free to ID owners due to limited functionality, this has been resolved I believe hence the 'new' data.
Thanks for this link. Are you subscribing? Which level? How useful are you finding it? Worth the money?
libks

Post by libks »

Hi, I'm in the same situation.

I think that I don't renew the subscription; EVEE app is better than Tronity, and it is For Free. (https://eeveemobility.com/eeveeapp)

What do you think about it?
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

I have used, and enjoyed, the limited functionality of Tronity, but I'm not very inclined to pay £30 or £35 a year for it. I see they offer a free option called off-line. I am not sure what that offers. Does anyone know.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I had downloaded the app but never used it. Just had a look again and I wouldn't pay for it. What do you get out of it that might make it worth paying for?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Professional seems to be specifically for company cars, but it does give you the ability to do your company car and personal car, so with two cars and a 50% discount, that's the only reason to do professional.

I've liked the stats and the graphs and £30 is hardly breaking the bank. I'm going to keep it another year.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Stig2011

Post by Stig2011 »

libks wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:07 pm Hi, I'm in the same situation.

I think that I don't renew the subscription; EVEE app is better than Tronity, and it is For Free. (https://eeveemobility.com/eeveeapp)

What do you think about it?
Thanks, really useful link. I am also coming to the end of a trial period with Tronity. I’ve downloaded eevee app and despite not mentioning VW on its website or in the App Store it works fine with my id3. Gives same info as Tronity as far as I can see - not sure why you would choose to pay if same available for free, though I accept you will loose history if you swap apps.
Life Pro Performance/Assistance Pack/Scale Silver/ East Derry Wheels
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I used the free trial version for about a year and then deleted it as I found the data was quite inaccurate and wasn't worth giving them access to my data for, or allowing them to keep pinging the car.
If you just want an approximate record of journeys/costs and accuracy isn't terribly important it's ok (especially if avoiding short trips where it gets really bad). If you need an accurate record for expensing trips or something, it's not adequate. I wouldn't ever pay for it.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

HeidiFlowerpt Driver wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:11 pm
G43FAN wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:58 pm This page gives details of the different packages, what else were you trying to find out?

Thanks for this link. Are you subscribing? Which level? How useful are you finding it? Worth the money?
I downloaded the app and have used the data occasionally whilst it was free but doubt I will be subscribing.
I don't understand why this isn't the kind of information the VW App gave you, the data is clearly available as 3rd parties can manage to do it.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

G43FAN wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:00 am
I don't understand why this isn't the kind of information the VW App gave you, the data is clearly available as 3rd parties can manage to do it.
Yes, me too. Since the 3.2 software update I can at least see on the VW app whether my car is locked or not, but it could, I think be so much more useful. I would like to be able to lock and unlock the car, open or close windows, read the temperature inside the car. If (in future) I'm going to have to pay a subscription to VW to get the full functionality of their own app, I'm not going to be happy if I need then to pay another subscription to Tronity to get access to functions that I think the VW app should provide.
EdinburghID3

Post by EdinburghID3 »

Useful thread. I was wondering the same re Tronity so will give Eevee a try. Thanks all
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey
Software v3.2
Zappi V2 Charger

Octopus referral code - https://share.octopus.energy/ready-ape-905
(Currently £100 split 50/50)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Does anyone know how to get the EEVEE to report mi/KWh?
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

I decided to pay the small amount for the data - I still find it interesting and hosting / development costs money. If an app is free then I wonder where the money comes from. As ever I'll review at renewal time.
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Has anyone else not subscribed but then checked your account and discovered you are now on a premium subscription and have an outstanding payment to make?

I then checked my email and noticed that the email they sent states : "End of Trial Period! Action Required - Or No More Vehicle Data Will Be Recorded!" but then goes on to say

"your trial period with TRONITY ends today, and your subscription will automatically upgrade to TRONITY Premium tomorrow. To ensure your vehicle data continues to be seamlessly captured, we kindly ask you to update your payment information in our system. This will be used for automatic invoicing. If you decide not to continue with the subscription, you can cancel it at any time through the Subscription Management." Mail from 30/10/2023

so very much an OPT OUT rather than an OPT IN, not sure of the legality of auto upgrading an account and then demanding money.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I switched to EEVEE
It seems to do everything Tronity does but much better. And it’s free.

I recommend it.