12V socket in the boot

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

So... I travelled 30 miles today despite lockdown, taking my wife to a hospital appointment.

A warning message appeared - one tyre pressure low - so while waiting for her consultation to end, I decided to use my electric tyre pump to reinflate the tyre. Couldn't get power from the outlet in the boot. Checked the manual, which says the outlet is only live when the ignition is on. But the ignition turns itself off as soon as you leave the driver's seat.

So... how to inflate the tyre without a second person to sit in the driver's seat?

In the end I waited till she got back to the car and she sat in the seat for me.

Is there some way to get the 12v socket live without another person present?

I've had the car three months, not had to pump any of the tyres, but the tyre was down to 19psi. The other three are still at the right pressure. After topping up the pressure the tyre has kept its pressure so it's a mystery. Maybe a leaky valve? I'll monitor it over the next few days. Since they're self-sealing tyres I'll be disappointed if it's punctured.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Wake the car up with the start button on the steering column rather than by sitting on the seat? You might have to clip the seatbelt in to trick the car?
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

scott28tt wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:17 pm Wake the car up with the start button on the steering column rather than by sitting on the seat? You might have to clip the seatbelt in to trick the car?
Thank you Scott. I had tried waking the car with the start button, but did it while sitting in the seat. And the car turned itself off again as soon as I got out of the seat. But if I press the start button from outside the car, it stays awake so I can use the 12V socket. Hooray! - and finally I've learned of a use for the start button!

Now the remaining problem is that the power cable of my tyre pump doesn't reach from the right side of the boot to the left front wheel... I'll buy an extension lead on Amazon.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Guy was 'tinting' my back side windows and also called wife to sit on driver's seat to operate rear windows.
It is good to try 'Ignition on'. :lol:
I tried to hack seat switch, but ended with airbag fault.
Only possibility seamed to clear it by obd.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I can't believe they didn't put a socket in the cabin. I had to buy an extension lead for my pump to reach the front tyres. I made the mistake of buying a curly lead, thinking it would be neater when not in use, but of course to reach the front wheels it has to stretch quite a bit which means the connection with the pump lead fails to make good contact. If I had to buy another lead, I'd go for either a VERY long curly lead or preferably a straight one.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

I've ordered a 3.6M un-coiled extension from Amazon.
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

Fortunately I have a selection of Makita 18V power tools and batteries and ordered a Makita cordless tyre inflator :-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DMP180Z ... B085M2C6CP
Saves problems with the lead and has an instant valve connector so I can check/inflate all tyres very quickly!
Last edited by stevieboy on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
Jono

Post by Jono »

I’ve been using one of these for 18 months - very impressed. Just set the required pressure and leave it to it, also has a useful torch built in.

Oasser Tyre Inflator Air Compressor Electric Air Pump 12V AC/DC with 2000 mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery 120PSI 20 litres/Min for Car Bicycle Ball and Other Inflatables P1S
Statten

Post by Statten »

Forgive my ignorance but what use is the socket in the boot if you can’t use it when you’re a sole driver with no one to sit in the front seat?

(My ID3 is on order)
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

Forgive my ignorance but what use is the socket in the boot if you can’t use it when you’re a sole driver with no one to sit in the front seat?
Don't worry. All you need to do is get out of the car then lean in and press the ignition button.

(Unfortunately this also turns on your lights and heating, so if you're running low on charge you might want to lean in further to turn these off)
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Statten wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:26 pm Forgive my ignorance but what use is the socket in the boot if you can’t use it when you’re a sole driver with no one to sit in the front seat?

(My ID3 is on order)

Did you read my reply about pressing the start/stop button on the steering column?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Statten wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:26 pm Forgive my ignorance but what use is the socket in the boot if you can’t use it when you’re a sole driver with no one to sit in the front seat?

(My ID3 is on order)
I assume they were thinking the primary use of such an outlet would be cool boxes or similar.
digital

Post by digital »

To power the tyre inflation pump.
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.
Statten

Post by Statten »

My point was what good is it if you can power it on unless you’re sitting in the driver’s seat (not what you can do with a 12V socket) but scott28tt clarified you can simply hit the start button and it works.
Mimosa12

Post by Mimosa12 »

Agreed. It's not great for tyre pump, unless you know the Stop/Start trick
Also need a 12v socket for certain components, like DashCam
TimF

Post by TimF »

Mimosa12 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:38 pm Agreed. It's not great for tyre pump, unless you know the Stop/Start trick
Also need a 12v socket for certain components, like DashCam
DashCam is permanent, so should be permanently wired to the fuse box or one of the (hidden) USB outlets?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I believe you can move one of the fuses and it makes the boot 12v be on permanently. Was on the Facebook Id group and there are a couple of YouTube vids about it I think…