Confused to hell and back.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

Despite having had the car now for just over six months, it is only in the last month or so that I have benefited from a off peak charging period courtesy of British Gas/Hive but it has been a pain in the butt to get it to work. VW work on a departure time for charging not a starting time, so the off peak is midnight to 0500. But if I set it in the car for a departure time of 0500, how does it know what time to start the charge, clearly I do not want to start charging before midnight because the peak rate is 4x the off peak charge?

I've tried setting the option in the Hive app to use the off peak charging period and that normally works with my wifes Mokka e (but not always) but when I try that with the ID3 with it set to charge immediately in the charging part of the infotainment link, sod all happens and I end with a car needing to be charged at 44p kwh.

Can anyone give a suggestion as to which option to take, either the ID3 delayed departure route or the off peak charging period in the Hive app.

I used to think I was reasonably intelligent but clearly VW think otherwise :roll:
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

No idea about the Hive but you seem to have misunderstood the VW system. You don't use a departure time for this purpose (that does what it says on the tin), you use 'preferred times', setting both a start and finish. You just need to set up your correct preferred times for the charging location and set the correct charge targets for the charge location (there are two - an immediate target which can be 0 if you don't want any charging when you first plug in, and a final target). I recommend setting this up in the car as the menu is more intuitive.
[To get to where you can set preferred times in the app, the menu structure is really poor, you have to click departure times (possibly the source of your confusion), then click on your location name under where it says Charging, then click on the little cog in the top right, then click on where it says 'preferred times' at the bottom.]

Once you have set up the correct preferred times for your location (eg home) then before plugging in each time, just check it's in 'charge in preferred times' mode on the goodbye screen; it usually defaults to 'charge immediately'. That's all you need to do.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
CG38

Post by CG38 »

I have a Hive charger and a BG tariff, but I don’t use their settings. I just have it in the car’s app to charge only between midnight and 5am. Works perfectly fine for me.
Family Pro - East Derry Wheels.
Collected 16/01/23
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:42 pm No idea about the Hive but you seem to have misunderstood the VW system. You don't use a departure time for this purpose (that does what it says on the tin), you use 'preferred times', setting both a start and finish. You just need to set up your correct preferred times for the charging location and set the correct charge targets for the charge location (there are two - an immediate target which can be 0 if you don't want any charging when you first plug in, and a final target). I recommend setting this up in the car as the menu is more intuitive.
[To get to where you can set preferred times in the app, the menu structure is really poor, you have to click departure times (possibly the source of your confusion), then click on your location name under where it says Charging, then click on the little cog in the top right, then click on where it says 'preferred times' at the bottom.]

Once you have set up the correct preferred times for your location (eg home) then before plugging in each time, just check it's in 'charge in preferred times' mode on the goodbye screen; it usually defaults to 'charge immediately'. That's all you need to do.
Well I tried the VW route and it failed miserably. Removed the timed schedule from the Hive app and set it up in the car to charge between 00.01 and 05.00, however the car decided to charge from 03.51 and just before 07.00 meaning two hours of charge were at the higher peak rate. So I am going to go back to clearing everything scheduled or referenced to the Home location in the car and try to get the Hive app schedule to work. Thanks anyway for the help offered.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

the.kes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:46 am
sidehaas wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:42 pm No idea about the Hive but you seem to have misunderstood the VW system. You don't use a departure time for this purpose (that does what it says on the tin), you use 'preferred times', setting both a start and finish. You just need to set up your correct preferred times for the charging location and set the correct charge targets for the charge location (there are two - an immediate target which can be 0 if you don't want any charging when you first plug in, and a final target). I recommend setting this up in the car as the menu is more intuitive.

Well I tried the VW route and it failed miserably. Removed the timed schedule from the Hive app and set it up in the car to charge between 00.01 and 05.00, however the car decided to charge from 03.51 and just before 07.00 meaning two hours of charge were at the higher peak rate. So I am going to go back to clearing everything scheduled or referenced to the Home location in the car and try to get the Hive app schedule to work. Thanks anyway for the help offered.
Strange, it should reliable with your software. I haven't heard of anyone having that sort 0f problem when set up correctly with 3.x. However the setup isn't as easy as it could be. If Hive doesn't work easily for you I would definitely recommend deleting any locations you have set in the car and then starting from scratch with a new one. I assume that when schedules are disabled in both the Hive and the car, plugging in results in an immediate charge? If not the car's scheduling function may not work. Good luck.
Last edited by sidehaas on Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

I find it much easier just to set the charge time (in my case on the zappi the "boost" time) on the charger.
this works for either timed charging on the ID3 or the LEAF so its just so much simpler.
ID3 Tour, Heat pump, sports pack, moonstone grey
ordered 24/01/22
Arrived: 05/05/23
Jonty0560

Post by Jonty0560 »

I have recently started using Octopus agile and have been using the cars preferred times to control when I charge the car. Location is set, called Home and charge at preferred times is set. I set the preferred timers to match the slots when the price is lowest, so there may be 3 or 4 times at night when the prices is low. Car charges fine at these preferred times. My issue is that last night I set the 3 periods of charging (the last three) and the max charge to 80%. At the end of the last period (4th) the car carried on charging until it hit 80%. Why? Why did it not just stop. I’m going to carry on experimenting. I am sure that if I use the first three time slots and leave the last one off it might stop even though it has not reached the max charge setting.
Also has anybody else had an issue with the range indicated on the App. Mine currently says the range is 101miles with an 80% charge. It updates to the correct mileage if I start charging. I’ve told VW about this but none of the App updates have corrected this.
Id3 Max, stonewash blue, purchased June 21
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Jonty0560 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:18 pm I have recently started using Octopus agile and have been using the cars preferred times to control when I charge the car. Location is set, called Home and charge at preferred times is set. I set the preferred timers to match the slots when the price is lowest, so there may be 3 or 4 times at night when the prices is low. Car charges fine at these preferred times. My issue is that last night I set the 3 periods of charging (the last three) and the max charge to 80%. At the end of the last period (4th) the car carried on charging until it hit 80%. Why? Why did it not just stop. I’m going to carry on experimenting. I am sure that if I use the first three time slots and leave the last one off it might stop even though it has not reached the max charge setting.
Also has anybody else had an issue with the range indicated on the App. Mine currently says the range is 101miles with an 80% charge. It updates to the correct mileage if I start charging. I’ve told VW about this but none of the App updates have corrected this.
Yes, the range indicated in the app is a known big, it will often repeat the miles/km conversion. If it's obviously too low, just mentally multiply it by 1.5.
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

VW seem unwilling or more likely unable to resolve this bug. Probably because the software that runs the car is not a single operating system. Using the example recently alluded to by ford each module in the car will have been manufactured by different companies each with its own software. Then some other software running on some other module will try a join it all up. Plus add all the software VW need on top to try and stop hackers from allowing customers from activating features they have not paid for. You end up with a car that it's software is a joke. The km Vs mile issue is just the tip of the iceberg. Just like the button to increase windscreen demisting that turns the fan down. This is what we get when car companys only assembly parts made by others.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Mark55 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:23 pm VW seem unwilling or more likely unable to resolve this bug. Probably because the software that runs the car is not a single operating system. Using the example recently alluded to by ford each module in the car will have been manufactured by different companies each with its own software. Then some other software running on some other module will try a join it all up. Plus add all the software VW need on top to try and stop hackers from allowing customers from activating features they have not paid for. You end up with a car that it's software is a joke. The km Vs mile issue is just the tip of the iceberg. Just like the button to increase windscreen demisting that turns the fan down. This is what we get when car companys only assembly parts made by others.
The bug didn't exist before some time in spring 2022. It came about in app updates around the time when the first cars with 3.0 started to hit the streets. I've seen at least a couple of people say it is resolved on cars with 3.5, but don't know how reliable that is.
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

Yes, probably one or more bugs were solved and new ones introduced.
Only yesterday some of the yellow warning symbols started flashing. I was just on a Tesco run. Here we go again. Then they all went out about 50 seconds later.

Any idea when 3.2 will be updated to 3.5 software?
Thanks.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Yes, the range bug in the app only appeared after the 3.2 update. As others have said, the car/app combination 'helpfully' translates the actual correct range in miles eg 180 miles (and that figure is what is displayed by the car when you start it) by assuming that this range is in units of km and, for your convenience when using the app, it translates into miles, thus the app shows ~112. Some folk have said they fixed this by logging out of the app and logging back in. Didn't make any difference for me

Strangely, this bug only manifests when the car has been fully charged to its target amount (80% default). If I drive a trivial distance and the batter SoC falls to 79%, the app then shows the correct range ie same as that displayed in the car. Huh?
id3 Max 2021
M0re85

Post by M0re85 »

Hello,
I discovered in ny case what is the root cause of changing automatically from charging at preferred hours, to charge immediately. Take a look in this post: viewtopic.php?t=3255
It can be probably your case.
Regards
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

SinglePointSafety wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:53 am Yes, the range bug in the app only appeared after the 3.2 update. As others have said, the car/app combination 'helpfully' translates the actual correct range in miles eg 180 miles (and that figure is what is displayed by the car when you start it) by assuming that this range is in units of km and, for your convenience when using the app, it translates into miles, thus the app shows ~112. Some folk have said they fixed this by logging out of the app and logging back in. Didn't make any difference for me

Strangely, this bug only manifests when the car has been fully charged to its target amount (80% default). If I drive a trivial distance and the batter SoC falls to 79%, the app then shows the correct range ie same as that displayed in the car. Huh?
"Yes, the range bug in the app only appeared after the 3.2 update.”
Not in my case it didn’t. That issue has been around for long time.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:11 am
SinglePointSafety wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:53 am Yes, the range bug in the app only appeared after the 3.2 update. As others have said, the car/app combination 'helpfully' translates the actual correct range in miles eg 180 miles (and that figure is what is displayed by the car when you start it) by assuming that this range is in units of km and, for your convenience when using the app, it translates into miles, thus the app shows ~112. Some folk have said they fixed this by logging out of the app and logging back in. Didn't make any difference for me

"Yes, the range bug in the app only appeared after the 3.2 update.”
Not in my case it didn’t. That issue has been around for long time.
It began when the first cars started to come out from the factory with 3.0 (late spring 2022). But affected all cars after a while. I never heard of it before that and definitely didn't have it myself before then. I think it started affecting my car a bit later in 2022.
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Colleague has 2021 id3, exactly the same for her - no bug before 3.2 upgrade. But, I dunno, it could be nothing to do with the car's software version, could be just the app, given that it's often updated (but rarely - if ever - improved)
id3 Max 2021