New ID.3 Owner, family spec question

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Benjiturp

Post by Benjiturp »

Hi Forum,

I'm about to finalise purchase of a September 2021 ID.3 Family from Lookers VW under the used sceme and cannot wait to take delivery.

I've not seen the car in person (but protected under the 14 day returns law), and VW sent me a video of the car. In the video I could see the car doesn't actually have the split boot floor and also appears it doesn't have the dual zone climate (unless this is activated in the settings), both of which are standard fit on Family spec. Hopefully it has the rest of the equipment that cannot be seen such as reverse camera etc.

Could the forum shed some light on any examples of missing spec, and what I could do to have it activated/fitted? It's not a deal breaker but surely it should be there.

Thanks
ID.3 Max (2022) in Manganese Grey

Benjiturp

Post by Benjiturp »

Screenshot_20240113_234239_Chrome.jpg

Just for evidence
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Benjiturp wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:18 pm Hi Forum,

I'm about to finalise purchase of a September 2021 ID.3 Family from Lookers VW under the used sceme and cannot wait to take delivery.

I've not seen the car in person (but protected under the 14 day returns law), and VW sent me a video of the car. In the video I could see the car doesn't actually have the split boot floor and also appears it doesn't have the dual zone climate (unless this is activated in the settings), both of which are standard fit on Family spec. Hopefully it has the rest of the equipment that cannot be seen such as reverse camera etc.

Could the forum shed some light on any examples of missing spec, and what I could do to have it activated/fitted? It's not a deal breaker but surely it should be there.

Thanks
Is it likely they sent you the wrong video? I have noticed quite a few adverts (not videos) of used and new vehicles on Autotrader, where the published spec looks wrong. Consequence of cut and paste?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Never heard of a Family without dual zone climate. I wouldn't buy it expecting to be able to upgrade easily tbh (some people with Life or Business spec have found their system was upgraded to dual zone during software updates but thiswasn'tat their request). The boot floor could obviously have just been removed by a previous owner, if you can see the rails are in place.
Obvious visible indicator, does it have tinted rear windows (Family does, Life doesnt)? They also have different seat fabrics.
I suspect either its being mis sold or they have sent you a set of generic photos.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Benjiturp

Post by Benjiturp »

Thank you both for your responses.

It's a VW garage I'm buying from and it was a walk around video that was sent to me, specific to my sale (he mentioned my name showing it was up to date).

The car is certainly Family spec as putting the reg in the insurance quote states the specification, plus in the video the car has the upgraded seats/interior, tinted windows, glass roof, metal pedals, iQ front lights and individual colours for interior lighting.

Interestingly there are no boot floor rails so I suspect VW never installed them in the first place. I wonder if when the car has received updates (it appears to be 3.2) it's lost the dual zone. I know this can be added to lower spec cars via the shop so I expect VW can reinstall it and should be done under warranty.

I guess I'm now also keen to know that the reverse camera is installed as well as the door handle lighting (assistance pack).

I'll drop the VW dealer an email highlighting this (no deal has been signed yet) and I'll also ask for the vehicles VIN so I'm able to use the VW app.
Benjiturp

Post by Benjiturp »

Hi all,

Quick update. The VW dealer has now confirmed the car also doesn't have the reversing camera or keyless entry as well as no split boot floor and only having single zone climate. Everything else seems present. I assume the assistance pack is not fitted as well as elements of the comfort plus. Rain sensors are fitted however.

I did notice on a 2021 VW brochure that specifications are subject to change so I assume this is one of those cases.

I'm still keen on the car but it should be properly equipped. Any other examples of this and any other way I can use the VIN to investigate the fitted equipment further?

Thanks
vanb

Post by vanb »

There are so many used cars coming onto the market now so it may be best to seek an alternative one that has all the things on your wish list. You don’t want to have regrets in a few weeks/months time.
Benjiturp

Post by Benjiturp »

I don't strictly need dual zone, reverse camera etc, but it should be there, so I need to think about how much that bothers me as it is otherwise a very nice car.

Additionally the dealer diverted from the question of the dual zone being fitted under warranty, instead giving me a link to upgrade the system myself (and copping the cost).

Certainly need to have a think
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Benjiturp wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:47 pm I don't strictly need dual zone, reverse camera etc, but it should be there, so I need to think about how much that bothers me as it is otherwise a very nice car.

Additionally the dealer diverted from the question of the dual zone being fitted under warranty, instead giving me a link to upgrade the system myself (and copping the cost).

Certainly need to have a think
Can’t you knock him down on price, if some features appear to be missing?
Benjiturp

Post by Benjiturp »

Interestingly there's another thread from 2021 regarding missing spec on a family which seems to correlate (same month/year vehicle and most of the same equipment missing). VW seems to have ballsed up.

viewtopic.php?t=1186&start=20

If the whole assistance pack and dual zone is missing then I definitely want a discount, at least enough to cover the cost of upgrading to Dual Zone which is £250 (don't see why I should cover that), and a little extra discount considering it isn't a complete Family spec.

If no discount then I might cancel and wait for a car with the complete Family spec.

I'll drop them an email
scurry

Post by scurry »

Hello, are you sure the software up to date?
My 2022 06 Life Pro Performance gained dual zone when updated to 3.2... used to see same as your pic but after update includes a Smart Climate tab.
Benjiturp

Post by Benjiturp »

The software does appear up to date with the 0561 software code (I've read this is 3.2), % symbol on the charge level and driver information on the steering display.

The fact that a whole Assistance Pack is also missing is concerning. The car itself is a good price at £21500 (16,000 miles) but I'm reluctant to pay for the 2-zone upgrade as the dealer has eluded.

I'm just deciding whether to request a discount, or not bother with the car at all and wait for other family specs to drop into my budget.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Benjiturp wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:58 pm The software does appear up to date with the 0561 software code (I've read this is 3.2), % symbol on the charge level and driver information on the steering display.

The fact that a whole Assistance Pack is also missing is concerning. The car itself is a good price at £21500 (16,000 miles) but I'm reluctant to pay for the 2-zone upgrade as the dealer has eluded.

I'm just deciding whether to request a discount, or not bother with the car at all and wait for other family specs to drop into my budget.
It's a weird unicorn. I would judge its value against Life models - if it's priced like those and has a piece of spec you like then why not. If it's priced as a Family it seems a rip off as it's missing some of the key spec items. Even Life models (of some vintages, it varies) have the basic assistance pack with keyless and reversing camera.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

I've got a 2022 Family spec model with everything that is not on the one you are looking at, personally I would hang out and find one with everything, the split boot is useful, that is where I keep the cable out of the way, keyless entry is certainly useful and the reversing camera is well worth having.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
whittaker52

Post by whittaker52 »

Just thinking back through the different models, but could this be an old 2021 stock style spec that's been registered wrongly by the dealer with so many family spec bits and pieces missing? I think if it were me, unless the deal were pretty unbelievably good, i'd keep looking around until a car arrives with the right bits (the car kinda sounds like it could be a bit of a friday car with so many bits and pieces missing from the build).
MY 2023 58KW Makena Turquoise Max Pro Performance
Ordered: Mid-September 2021
Delivered May 31st 2023
Benjiturp

Post by Benjiturp »

@whittaker52

I think you've nailed it. I've checked the Style spec and it totally meets this car's requirement. Checking the VIN it looks like it was manufactured towards the end of 2000, so I assume when it was put on sale it was just registered as Family as they didn't sell the Style anymore... Dodgy!!!

I expect now the dealer won't upgrade the 2-zone which would be ideal so I'll speak with them and probably cancel