Space Saver Spare Wheel

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
LouisVox

Post by LouisVox »

Recommended Space Saver Spare Wheel:

125 70 R18 or 145 80 R18

Also I believe a 5mm space is required for the front wheels

Has anyone tried any of these, or have any other suggestions?

OmaSyl

Post by OmaSyl »

Having had a puncture one dark, cold Friday evening in the middle of nowhere it brought it home to me that a proper spare wheel is what I needed. When the AA rescued me they could only do a temporary repair and I had to wait until Monday before I could get a new tyre to use the car for a long journey. Now I carry a full sized spare wheel in my boot. To me it is worth the peace of mind. The space saver wheel does not allow high speeds, so is also only a temporary solution.
ID3 Pro 2024 Kings Red
East Derry wheels
Transport hitch
Zappi charger
Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Same as OmaSyl, full sized spare wheel in storage bag in the boot for long trips, only way to be sure.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
LouisVox

Post by LouisVox »

Thanks for the replies. When you’ve had to take evasive action on a country road to avoid a head on collision and end up with a huge gash in the sidewall of your tyre, you realise that that tube of gunk isn’t going to solve your problem. I now always carry a spare wheel. I am upgrading to an ID3 from an e-Golf, the golf has a spare wheel bay, and even though it comes with a pump and gunk, I have a spare wheel in there.

The question is will a 125 70 R80 wheel be sufficient (thinking of space) I have the 145 80 R80 on a Seat Tarraco.