Potentail new ID3 owner.

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
van staar

Post by van staar »

Hi everyone!

I’m Marc and I’m looking at buying a second hand ID3 (77kwh version), it will be probably the first edition, as I’m checking 21 or 71 plates. I’m currently driving a long range MG5, and even though we are quite happy with it, we would like to get a bit more range – MG is 61kwh at the moment and we get anywhere between 160 and 230 miles. I was looking at approved used from VW, just for an extra peace of mind. I was wondering if you could assist answering few questions (if anyone is curious about MG5, we had if for 2,5 years and I’m happy to answer any questions too.)

1. What is the warranty on the HV battery with VW, is it as I’m reading 8 years/100,000 miles?
2. Are there any common issues with this models? VW recalls etc.
3. What kind of battery degradation people get after 2-3 years of use?
4. Anything else I should be aware of before buying?

Many thanks everyone!

duncsand

Post by duncsand »

OK, my answers:
1) Yes, 8 years / 100k
2) The main issue has been software on earlier models - make sure anything you buy has been upgraded to 3.2, which I find to be pretty reliable. As part of the 3.2 upgrade there's a check on the HV battery and some cars have had to get some battery modules replaced. I'm not sure if that applies to 77kwh models or not but if the car's running 3.2 and no outstanding actions logged with VW it's probably good.
3) I've not seen any numbers reported, but it's not typically an issue. The id.3 has a battery management system that heats/cools the battery so it doesn't suffer from the kind of degradation that earlier EVs did. The car doesn't report degradation so it's not immediately obvious how you could get that information.
4) Make sure it's running 3.2 or above! 3.2 resolved a lot of glitches that people complained about on earlier versions. The 3.2 upgrade is installed by dealers, so there's no excuse if you're buying from a main dealer - I personally wouldn't accept a car until/unless it was running 3.2.

I have a 58kwh model myself and have been extremely happy with it - zero issues other than going to the dealer to get 3.2 installed which was really a very minor inconvenience.
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

For what it's worth, I thought software 3.0 was very good too, no issues. However if you buy a car with 3.0 you'll still have to go through the rigmarole of the dealer 3.2 update, so best get one already on 3.2 as duncsand says.

Only other thing to say, if you get a 77kwh model in the UK, they are all 'Tour'spec. There were no 77kwh 1st editions. Tours were available in 2021 though. In fact all specs were available from 70 reg I think.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
van staar

Post by van staar »

duncsand wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:39 pm OK, my answers:
1) Yes, 8 years / 100k
2) The main issue has been software on earlier models - make sure anything you buy has been upgraded to 3.2, which I find to be pretty reliable. As part of the 3.2 upgrade there's a check on the HV battery and some cars have had to get some battery modules replaced. I'm not sure if that applies to 77kwh models or not but if the car's running 3.2 and no outstanding actions logged with VW it's probably good.
3) I've not seen any numbers reported, but it's not typically an issue. The id.3 has a battery management system that heats/cools the battery so it doesn't suffer from the kind of degradation that earlier EVs did. The car doesn't report degradation so it's not immediately obvious how you could get that information.
4) Make sure it's running 3.2 or above! 3.2 resolved a lot of glitches that people complained about on earlier versions. The 3.2 upgrade is installed by dealers, so there's no excuse if you're buying from a main dealer - I personally wouldn't accept a car until/unless it was running 3.2.

I have a 58kwh model myself and have been extremely happy with it - zero issues other than going to the dealer to get 3.2 installed which was really a very minor inconvenience.
Thank you very much for all your help, that pretty much answers all the question i had (and in depth too!)
van staar

Post by van staar »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:30 am For what it's worth, I thought software 3.0 was very good too, no issues. However if you buy a car with 3.0 you'll still have to go through the rigmarole of the dealer 3.2 update, so best get one already on 3.2 as duncsand says.

Only other thing to say, if you get a 77kwh model in the UK, they are all 'Tour'spec. There were no 77kwh 1st editions. Tours were available in 2021 though. In fact all specs were available from 70 reg I think.
Thanks!
duncsand

Post by duncsand »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:30 am For what it's worth, I thought software 3.0 was very good too, no issues. However if you buy a car with 3.0 you'll still have to go through the rigmarole of the dealer 3.2 update, so best get one already on 3.2 as duncsand says.

Yes, 3.0 was fine - my car was delivered with it and 3.2 upgrade hardly changed anything. I would insist a VW dealer does the 3.2 upgrade before I accepted a car just so that I don't have to go back again. Also, that it's had the 3.2 upgrade means the HV battery has been checked. The software itself is hardly any different from 3.0. It does give you plug-and-charge, which is convenient (having said that, I've not actually used it yet).
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.
van staar

Post by van staar »

Thanks again for all your help. I've got one more question if I may, is heat pump worth at all? Since UK never really gets that cold is it worth to pay extra for HP? Thanks!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If you pay £1000 for the heat pump, you will never make your money back from it in the UK. The savings are not that big (according to concensus, I don't have one myself). However it will improve your range slightly in winter so if you are keen to do winter journeys in the range 150-180 miles without stopping on a regular basis, then it may be worth getting to give you a bit more margin.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
van staar

Post by van staar »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:32 am If you pay £1000 for the heat pump, you will never make your money back from it in the UK. The savings are not that big (according to concensus, I don't have one myself). However it will improve your range slightly in winter so if you are keen to do winter journeys in the range 150-180 miles without stopping on a regular basis, then it may be worth getting to give you a bit more margin.
Thank you very much, it definitely won't be a deal breaker, but i suppose if it comes with it then it's a "plus".
van staar

Post by van staar »

I was looking at this, but it is now sold.

vw.JPG

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Bad luck. But keep your eye out and I'm sure another will turn up, there are lots around now.
van staar

Post by van staar »

Yeah, I'm not in super-rush, so I'm sure I'll find something eventually. This seemed quite good though, especially the low mileage...