Test drove a 1st Edition at the weekend...

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
BillTheButcher

Post by BillTheButcher »

I've wanted to try an ID.3 for a while so when a 1st Edition came up for sale nearby, I decided to go and have a look.

From everything I'd read and seen, especially about the earlier cars, I was expecting the cabin to feel low-rent and for the infotainment and haptic buttons to irritate me within seconds of getting in. Suffice to say, my expectations weren't that high.

To my surprise, I really liked it as soon as I got in. The interior felt pleasantly minimalist rather than spartan (I particularly liked the uncluttered driver's display). I even liked the haptic cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. :shock:

I didn't really try the infotainment beyond changing the temperature so I can't comment on that. I believe (from what I found on reddit) that the fact that there's no percentage charge shown next to the range means that it's running an early version of the software.

The car felt decently quick, sure-footed, agile and responsive with really good visibility.

I drove it because it was nearby and I thought, "Why not?" I certainly didn't expect to be doing the all-too familiar "round peg into a square hole" man maths on the way home...

Oh, and hello. I recognise some usernames on here from SpeakEV. :)

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Whatever people may say about the ID3, for me, it’s a good car.
Later software ( mine’s on V3.2) the battery percentage is displayed next to the battery graphic.
Haptic buttons are a non-issue.
It’s not perfect, but I would like someone to show me the perfect car. They all have plusses and minuses.
I may even replace my 3 year old car with another one.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

I've stopped telling people that my ID3 is a decent EV, its a good car, period. The important aspects of any car including build and ride quality, decent acceleration and braking, comfort, economy and style are all there.....

I couldn't give a rats a** about minor issues with the infotainment screen, others seem obsessed with it.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I agree with all the responses to the original post. I found that I had a strange and disappointing reaction from friends and particularly from my family!! One friend in particular comes up with the old and now very tired ‘they are always bursting into flames’ comment and EVs are a knee jerk reaction. Family can’t get their head round our decision. My sister, who came back from holiday recently and driving through France and Spain said I couldn’t do the same journey in an EV because the lack of public charging. I mapped out a destination on ABRP showing her charging stops but she wasn’t interested.
What I find interesting and annoying in equal measure is why people think that they can start a conversation about the car I’m driving, telling me of the poor decision that I’ve made. At what point would I start up a conversation putting down their wallpaper choice or garden furniture choice etc. Bizarre!!
Id.3 Launch edition 3
Moonstone Grey
Ohme home pro
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:05 am I agree with all the responses to the original post. I found that I had a strange and disappointing reaction from friends and particularly from my family!! One friend in particular comes up with the old and now very tired ‘they are always bursting into flames’ comment and EVs are a knee jerk reaction. Family can’t get their head round our decision. My sister, who came back from holiday recently and driving through France and Spain said I couldn’t do the same journey in an EV because the lack of public charging. I mapped out a destination on ABRP showing her charging stops but she wasn’t interested.
What I find interesting and annoying in equal measure is why people think that they can start a conversation about the car I’m driving, telling me of the poor decision that I’ve made. At what point would I start up a conversation putting down their wallpaper choice or garden furniture choice etc. Bizarre!!
I realise with family it's difficult but try to ignore them. Fortunately, our wider family couldn’t care less what I drive, and I have zero intention of trying to persuade anybody.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I replaced my ID.3 1st Edition with another new ID.3 in November last year. As said above no car is perfect and some of the features (e.g. haptic buttons, too many screen presses rather than one physical button/dial, etc) do really annoy me but they are not the end of the world. I like that it is great to drive, spacious enough for me, and the range is adequate for most of my regular driving.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

What I find funny is how over-focussed non-EV drivers (and to be fair, some that own an EV) are on completely trivial issues around EV ownership.

When the single biggest issue (which never gets a mention) is that for urban dwellers, ICEs are over, the sooner people get that into their heads the better, governments are simply going to tax urbanites out of their petrol and diesels.

The bigger picture is that if we don't get a handle on climate change (and I accept that family/personal EVs are only one part of the solution) the planetary eco system will force solutions onto us, then issues like not enough public charge points will be irrelevant.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys