Launch editions?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Does anyone know what these “Launch Edition” models refer to? Searching on Autotrader there seems to be Launch Editions 1 through 4.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

They seem to have been the specs in which most facelift ID3s have been sold through dealers, but were never available via the configurator.
Launch edition 4 is a Pro S (77kwh).
Launch edition 1-3 are all Pro (58kwh).
3 is top spec, like a Max.
I think 1 is fairly similar to a Life but with the assistance pack (rear camera, keyless entry) and alloys as standard.
2 somewhere in between. Think it has matrix lights. Doesn't line up with the old Family spec though, it's different.
They are better value than a custom order, the RRP for a 1 was about the same as the base price on the configurator with no options I think.
Check anything I say if it's important to you, I might be wrong. There are lots of autotrader ads.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:57 am They seem to have been the specs in which most facelift ID3s have been sold through dealers, but were never available via the configurator.
I think 1 is fairly similar to a Life but with the assistance pack (rear camera, keyless entry) and alloys as standard.
2 somewhere in between. Think it has matrix lights. Doesn't line up with the old Family spec though, it's different.
They are better value than a custom order, the RRP for a 1 was about the same as the base price on the configurator with no options I think.
Check anything I say if it's important to you, I might be wrong. There are lots of autotrader ads.
It’s not important, I just wondered and your explanation seems logical. Do you think VW could make anything else more unnecessarily complicated, or have we now reached complication overload? I remember trying to spec our ID3 back in 2021 and the VW configurator was just bamboozling.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:13 pm
sidehaas wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:57 am They seem to have been the specs in which most facelift ID3s have been sold through dealers, but were never available via the configurator.
It’s not important, I just wondered and your explanation seems logical. Do you think VW could make anything else more unnecessarily complicated, or have we now reached complication overload? I remember trying to spec our ID3 back in 2021 and the VW configurator was just bamboozling.
Skoda are even worse, I've been vaguely looking at used Enyaqs for possible future replacement of our remaining ICE but both the base spec and option packs have changed multiple times and parts of the brochure are ambiguous...pretty much the only way to work out what packs I need on a 2021 car to get ACC and a heated steering wheel was to go searching forum posts. And even then it's different between 60 and 80 variants.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
g320y

Post by g320y »

I bought a Launch Edition 1 face lift model at the end of September. The Launch Edition 1 seems to be the equivalent of the old "Match" type specifications that came with the Golf at the time of mid life facelift, a pre done selection of options over the base model. The base model now seems to have alloys as standard.
There were no real details available on customer website. The dealer provided me with their "cheat sheet" as to what was added over the "standard walk up trim" Pro 58Kwh model.
The extras were:
EXTERIOR PACK
LED rear lights
Matrix beam
Light-line between front logo
Matrix LED headlamps
TInted rear and back windows
DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACK
Illuminated door handle
Extended saftey system [not sure what this is]
Keyless locking
Rear view camera

To my mind (moving from an 07 plate Golf) the car is pretty well specified. What does seem odd is the lack of rear loudspeakers unless you pay silly money.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

g320y wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:37 am I bought a Launch Edition 1 face lift model at the end of September. The Launch Edition 1 seems to be the equivalent of the old "Match" type specifications that came with the Golf at the time of mid life facelift, a pre done selection of options over the base model. The base model now seems to have alloys as standard.
There were no real details available on customer website. The dealer provided me with their "cheat sheet" as to what was added over the "standard walk up trim" Pro 58Kwh model.
The extras were:
EXTERIOR PACK
LED rear lights
Matrix beam
Matrix LED headlamps
DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACK
Illuminated door handle
Keyless locking
Rear view camera

To my mind (moving from an 07 plate Golf) the car is pretty well specified. What does seem odd is the lack of rear loudspeakers unless you pay silly money.
Cooooooo..... “Light-line between front logo”. I am jealous.
Sorry. I was just being sarcastic. Hope you like the car. I love my lowly “Life” version. Even without the "Light-line between front logo”.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

That v1 is a good spec for the same price as the base model. Accounting for inflation it's competitive with 2021 prices despite the interior upgrade. I don't know what v2 brings over v1 tho.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I ordered a facelift model earlier in the year and was excited when the dealer told me it would arrive in a few weeks. When it arrived it was a 'Launch' version and the dealer wanted me to pay quite a bit more for it. I declined and now have a non launch version. I previously had a 1st Edition and the only things I have missed, are the rear view camera and the keyless locking. I have not missed them much though - the 1st Edition was the first car I'd had with a rear view camera, and the keyless locking didn't always work. Certainly not worth what I was going to have to pay extra for the Launch version.
g320y

Post by g320y »

Scratch wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:43 am
g320y wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:37 am I bought a Launch Edition 1 face lift model at the end of September. The Launch Edition 1 seems to be the equivalent of the old "Match" type specifications that came with the Golf at the time of mid life facelift, a pre done selection of options over the base model. The base model now seems to have alloys as standard.
The extras were:
EXTERIOR PACK
LED rear lights
Matrix beam
Matrix LED headlamps
DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACK
Illuminated door handle
Keyless locking
Rear view camera

Cooooooo..... “Light-line between front logo”. I am jealous.
Sorry. I was just being sarcastic. Hope you like the car. I love my lowly “Life” version. Even without the "Light-line between front logo”.
Car is super (especially the light-line :D ). I plan to post a 3 month review after the holidays which will be our first really long trips.
I think the 2, 3, and 4 versions basically add on further combinations of "packs" eg exterior pack plus, interior pack, interior pack plus, assistance pack plus etc. Vague recollection is that whilst the dealer (Citygate) had quite a few edition 1's in stock they didn't have many of the others.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I have a Launch Edition 3. Seems to have a fair spec.

Dark Interior package Plus
"Sanya" 7.5J x 20, Black, diamond-turned, AirStop® tires 215/45 R20
Comfort package
Exterior package
Assistance package Plus incl. IQ.DRIVE with semi-automated driving assistance Travel Assist
ME variant 4
Illuminated molding between headlamps and illuminated door handle recesses
Wheel locks with extended theft protection
Tool kit
Anti-theft alarm system with interior monitoring, backup horn, and towing protection
Park Assist Plus with Park Distance Control
Proactive passenger protection system in combination with Front Assist
Air Care Climatronic 2 zone automatic climate control with enhanced air filter and stationary air conditioning
IQ.LIGHT - LED matrix headlamps with automatic headlight control, poor weather light, entry lighting
Augmented reality head-up display
Area View incl. rear view camera system
Removable luggage compartment floor
30-color ambient lighting
Advanced high-beam control Dynamic Light Assist for LED matrix headlamps
Charging cable, mode 2, type 2 / G (10A)
Pneumatically-adjustable lumbar supports in front, with massage feature
Leatherette-wrapped multi-function steering wheel, heated, with touch control
Sound system BeatsAudio, 400 W total power output, subwoofer, 6 speakers with surround mode
Navigation system "Discover Pro"
Memory feature for Park Assist Plus
Trims for alloy wheels
4 alloy wheels "Sanya" 7.5J x 20, Black, diamond-turned surface
AirStop® tires 215/45 R20
LED rear combination lamps with dynamic turn signal
Inserts of front seats and outer rear seats in ArtVelours Eco microfleece
ergoActive seats in front with power adjustment, memory feature and adjustable thigh support
Heated front seats
Introductory volume
Lane change system Side Assist
Travel Assist, Lane Assist and Emergency Assist
Privacy glass for rear side windows and rear window
Rain sensor
Keyless locking and starting system Keyless Access with SAFELOCK
Door and side trim panel
Mobile phone interface "Comfort" with inductive charging feature
Laminated safety glass windshield, heat- and sound-insulating
Carpet mats in front and rear
Id.3 Launch edition 3
Moonstone Grey
Ohme home pro
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Sherlock wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:04 pm I ordered a facelift model earlier in the year and was excited when the dealer told me it would arrive in a few weeks. When it arrived it was a 'Launch' version and the dealer wanted me to pay quite a bit more for it. I declined and now have a non launch version. I previously had a 1st Edition and the only things I have missed, are the rear view camera and the keyless locking. I have not missed them much though - the 1st Edition was the first car I'd had with a rear view camera, and the keyless locking didn't always work. Certainly not worth what I was going to have to pay extra for the Launch version.
That's terrible service from your dealer. Didn't they know what car was being delivered? Numpties.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

gailjon wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:37 am
Sherlock wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:04 pm I ordered a facelift model earlier in the year and was excited when the dealer told me it would arrive in a few weeks. When it arrived it was a 'Launch' version and the dealer wanted me to pay quite a bit more for it. I declined and now have a non launch version. I previously had a 1st Edition and the only things I have missed, are the rear view camera and the keyless locking. I have not missed them much though - the 1st Edition was the first car I'd had with a rear view camera, and the keyless locking didn't always work. Certainly not worth what I was going to have to pay extra for the Launch version.
That's terrible service from your dealer. Didn't they know what car was being delivered? Numpties.
Yes ,quite. I bought elsewhere in the end. Difficult to tell really but I think they genuinely didn't know what was being delivered.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Has anyone got a Launch Edition 3 with a 77kWh battery?
Or does it not exist?
TIA
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:44 am Has anyone got a Launch Edition 3 with a 77kWh battery?
Or does it not exist?
TIA
I don't think it exists, the Launch Edition 4 is/was the 77 kwh version.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:24 pm
Scratch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:44 am Has anyone got a Launch Edition 3 with a 77kWh battery?
Or does it not exist?
TIA
That’s what I thought. But I have been talking with a VW dealer and he reckons he has one. Just shows what they actually know about their own marque.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:34 pm
Or does it not exist?
TIA
That’s what I thought. But I have been talking with a VW dealer and he reckons he has one. Just shows what they actually know about their own marque.
Ask him to just send you pics of the car showing you what it has. It might actually be a 4 or he might have something unusual, I thought they had all gone a while ago as they are selling the 'match' spec now.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:39 pm
Scratch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Ask him to just send you pics of the car showing you what it has. It might actually be a 4 or he might have something unusual, I thought they had all gone a while ago as they are selling the 'match' spec now.
It’s a pre-reg.