Biodegrading trim.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Bosun

Post by Bosun »

On my ID3, there is a matt black trim strip above the doors below the roofline front to back about 25mm deep. This trim has become dull, mottled in shades of grey. I took the car back to the dealer and with the after sales manager we looked at other cars with the same trim style and they were all mottled - apart from those in the showroom. A turquoise ID3 had a severe mottling, and the whole trim looks very stuffy indeed. The after sales manager said that he would contact VW about it. I saw him a few days later and as I guessed, the response was 'It's caused by what you've used to wash the car...' which got short thrift as I commented that it must be what the dealer is using as well, as all his vehicles had mottled trim. Apparently VW had totally dismissed the issue and weren't prepared to do anything about it. When I asked him about the turquoise ID3, he said 'Perhaps the owner won't notice....' Can I ask - has anyone else got the same issue? I'm hesitant to use some form of 'back to black' on the trim, but it really looks very poor on a car less than 18 months old.

vanb

Post by vanb »

Yes. Mine seems similar to yours.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

We've noticed this on our now 3 year old ID3. It seems that the black trim becomes dull after a while. I have thought about some sort of wax to see if it will become black but laziness (sorry, bad weather), has prevented me from attempting anything yet.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Bosun

Post by Bosun »

Has anyone used some form of 'Back to Black' on this discoloured trim with any success?
vanb

Post by vanb »

Bosun wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:53 pm Has anyone used some form of 'Back to Black' on this discoloured trim with any success?
No. Sorry.
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

Silicon spray might bring it back and keep it supple.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Bosun

Post by Bosun »

Tried everything I can think of that wouldn't do any 'damage', all the AutoGlym products etc, nothing has got close. I suppose it's down to checking out 'back to black' products now. (Please don't anyone suggest WD40.....!)
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

I have used OWATROL Polytrol Colour-Renovator with some success. It's a detailing product so not a permanent solution but should last a month or two. Here is a pic after 1 week of it half done. Needs a couple of coats but goes on easily with a soft cloth. About £20 from Amazon.

ID3 Trim.jpg

ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys