Turning Off Lane Assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Wig

Post by Wig »

Every time I get in the car I have to go through the menu to turn off this annoying feature as it is reactivated each time I leave the car. Since the system takes so long to fire up, this has to be done while driving along on a narrow lane while the system is telling me to drive in the middle of the road. Can I disable this for ever?

digital

Post by digital »

No. It's part of the NCAP 5* accreditation that it can't be permanently turned off.
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

As above, that NCAP 5* rating doesn't come for free.

Why does it have to be done driving along a narrow lane? Can't you just wait a minute or so to disable it before you move the car?
Wig

Post by Wig »

It only takes about 45 seconds waiting to be able to make the change but doing that every time you get in the car is tedious. Imagine if your phone was returned to factory settings every time you put it down. It also needs at least a minute to unscramble the car insisting on playing music from a phone and deleting a record of what media was being previously played. It feels like a system designed by geeks without being tested on real people.
Deleted User 192

I’m sure there are geeks at NCAP who decide what their star ratings mean.
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

I'm sure it is NCAP who insist that the system is rest every time the vehicle turned off. However I think it is VW who have interpreted this as needing as 3 stage process to disable again.
My previous Nissan reset itself each time as per the ID3, but had a 1 push physical button to disable. Once you got used to it you could perform the action without taking your eyes off the road - much safer than looking at the touch screen for long enough to do this on the ID3 - don't tell the insurance industry or our premiums will go up even more!!
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Is there a voice command for it?
Deleted User 192

Anduain wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:36 am Is there a voice command for it?

No.
Deleted User 192

ColinID3 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:31 am My previous Nissan reset itself each time as per the ID3, but had a 1 push physical button to disable. Once you got used to it you could perform the action without taking your eyes off the road - much safer than looking at the touch screen for long enough to do this on the ID3.

What is the current NCAP rating of your Nissan? I heard that the lack of 1-touch disable was also part of why the ID.3 has 5*
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

How much interaction or intervention are you getting? I live in rural (ish) Wales and drive on a lot of B and unclassified roads single carrigeway with passing places or two lanes with a centre marking but again only passable for car on car. I hardly ever get any issues with the lane control.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

What I find more annoying and potentially dangerous is the car braking on the motorway for an exit even if you ignore it and in fact braking for a roundabout at the top of said exit.

Obviously you don’t lose control or anything, it is just pesky that it brakes for a roundabout that’s about 500m behind you.
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

What is the current NCAP rating of your Nissan? I heard that the lack of 1-touch disable was also part of why the ID.3 has 5*
Good point well made Scott.
It turns out the Nissan was only 4* and doesn't seem to have been rated at all for 'Safety Assistance Systems' where as the ID3 scored 88% for this.
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

So, as I have stated previously I haven't felt that the lane assist 'interferes' much with my drive despite using primarily A and B (unclassified) lanes for most of my journeys, however I have recently started trying out B mode again to see if I could get on with it better now I was used to the car. This might be my imagination, but in B mode I seem to get a lot more Lane assist warnings?
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Is it possible to turn off Lane Assist on the ID.3 via a button on the indicator stalk, like you can on a MK8 Golf?
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

deleted
Last edited by G43FAN on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 192

andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:51 am Is it possible to turn off Lane Assist on the ID.3 via a button on the indicator stalk, like you can on a MK8 Golf?

No.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 am
andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:51 am Is it possible to turn off Lane Assist on the ID.3 via a button on the indicator stalk, like you can on a MK8 Golf?
No.
Can you add it to the short cuts?
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Deleted User 192

andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:34 am
scott28tt wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 am
No.
Can you add it to the short cuts?

No.
Deleted User 1426

Post by Deleted User 1426 »

If you know someone with an OBD11 programmer or you buy one (£91) you can set the lane assist feature to remember last setting. So then if you switch it off it will stay off after a restart until you turn it on again. Even the ID3 user manual suggests that it should only be used on motorways and well made A roads.

I should say that living in Norfolk with very few A roads, it is a nightmare on all the smaller B roads.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

It's bizarre that they've made it relatively easy to switch off on a Golf, but not followed that through to the ID.3. We live in a rural location and most of the time when you're driving you're using narrow roads which inevitably leads to straddling lanes a lot.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten