Wireless charging overheating phone

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

On my last 2 long journeys I’ve noticed that my iPhone is extremely hot from wireless charging and in fact the previous time the phone shut down to overheating.

Is anyone else experiencing high phone temperatures when charging wirelessly?

As you know, there’s little to no air circulation there.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Heard the same on the UK Facebook group.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Carplay working? Any more apps?
I connect usually through usb (android).
Android auto working, and battery discharging, when over bt/wifi.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Deleted User 314

Everything works normally. Just phone overheats. Connected wirelessly.
Jel

Post by Jel »

My phone also gets pretty warm when wireless charging but after reading this ( https://www.zdnet.com/article/is-the-he ... our-phone/ ) it seems that its not a problem.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Looking at the article linked above, it appears that I should remove my thick leather case form the phone.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Deleted User 314

Well, if the phone shuts down functionality saying it has overheated I would say that’s a problem.
djg193

Post by djg193 »

I’ve got the same problem it shut my iPhone mini down as well. Mine is going in tomorrow to get the reverse light fixed which was broke on delivery , I will bring it up with dealer and see what they say.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Anduain wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:43 am Well, if the phone shuts down functionality saying it has overheated I would say that’s a problem.

Do you wireless charge it on other pads? Does it do the same?
Deleted User 314

Yes, without any problems at all. I rarely plug the phone in to charge.
b9hnu

Post by b9hnu »

I have the same problem.. I noticed twice on my drives (40+) . My phone was very hot to touch and got message saying cant operate due to overheating.
I have plastic hard case on my iPhone 12 max pro and was using wireless charging with wireless car play (iPhone map navigation was running).
My initial thought was may it was too much to make for iPhone but clearly apple would have tested this scenario extensively. I will discuss with VW service.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

The new Kia Sorento which I have ordered has ventilation holes in the charging pad under the phone to prevent overheating. Funny timing for me to find the video after what has been said about phones overhearing in ID3.

Look at around 45 second mark to see what I mean:

ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Rftici

Post by Rftici »

I am having the same issue. It seems to be affecting the charge also. The phone seems to be over heating and unable to continue charging past a certain limit because it’s over heating.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

This is not exclusive to the ID3. There are lots of discussions around overheating phones (Iphones especially) when using Car play and charging wirelessly.
Taycan forum has a thread about this and I have seen it being discussed on ICE car forums.
Rftici

Post by Rftici »

Thanks. Maybe that’s it. I’ll try turning off CarPlay and see if that helps the overheating. I’d be surprised if it was the wireless pad gone so wrong this early on.
Deleted User 314

I’ve now declared wireless charging completely useless.

Clearly untested in a real world scenario. We cannot drive for more than an hour. Reported as a fault to VW, zero expectation they can do anything due to design.
Aapercy

Post by Aapercy »

Wireless charging of phones relies on accurate alignment of the charging elements - without accurate alignment between the phone and the pad the charging is very inefficient, not good for battery and creates a lot of heat. (This is why Apple are moving to “MagSafe” wireless charging to make sure everything gets aligned properly)
In a car a phone resting in a pocket that has a wireless charger in the middle moves around as the car bounces around, this misagins the charging elements and the phone heats up.
Using GPS navigation is a highly intensive operation and results in high energy use = more heat.

So:
Wireless charging + misalignment + GPS = very hot phone.

Solution: just use a short USB-C cable to charge your phone in the car and everything works fine with GPS and the phone in the more forward pocket (not the wireless charging one).
Life Pro - Feb2021 - version 0783
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Aapercy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:29 am So:
Wireless charging + misalignment + GPS = very hot phone.
Solution: just use a short USB-C cable to charge your phone in the car and everything works fine with GPS and the phone in the more forward pocket (not the wireless charging one).
Have used short usb-c cable for long, but then another problem occurs: phone usb socket gets weary and android auto switches to wireless and wired.
Ordered magnetic connector, try this way.
I think the inductive charger location is also bad, because gps signal is shaded.
In my elder cars also direct sun overheated the black phone.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
nfiner

Post by nfiner »

Same problem with me - iPhone 12 in a plastic case.
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Just tried wireless charging and Android Auto today, for a decent-length journey. Pixel 3XL, Android 11, all works well, phone doesn't get hot (but pretty warm) and manages to charge using Google Navigation. Can totally see what the problems might be though, regarding phone alignment etc: will try Apple CarPlay with wife's (smaller) iphone and report back sometime
id3 Max 2021