Pod Point now support scheduled charging!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

I've tried 3 times to use the pod point app scheduler, and it's failed to start charging on all 3.

I've set the scheduler up and saved it before plugging the cable in. Got a green light on pp. Cancelled delayed charge on the ID3.

Have reported it to pod point yesterday, awaiting reply.
Back to ID3 charging app again ! But that's unreliable as well !
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926

Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Just set my charger to charge from 0030 to 0730 Thursday, plugged it in and it started charging straight away can't understand it all settings appear correct. Anyone got any ideas
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:40 pm Just set my charger to charge from 0030 to 0730 Thursday, plugged it in and it started charging straight away can't understand it all settings appear correct. Anyone got any ideas

Because it's currently Wednesday ;-)

If you had also set a schedule for today 0030 to 0730 then it would know not to start when you plugged it in.

It seems to work on a day by day basis - plug in on a day with no schedule and it starts straight away, plug in on a day with a schedule and it adheres to the schedule.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Thanks will set a schedule for every day and see if it works , not really clear in the instructions
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Used it this morning and it ignored the cars 80% cut off point and charged to 100% ,looks like it's a calculator job for me in future to set the hours of charge needed
Deleted User 192

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:25 am Used it this morning and it ignored the cars 80% cut off point and charged to 100% ,looks like it's a calculator job for me in future to set the hours of charge needed

I believe it is the car which controls this, if so it seems it didn’t tell the charge point to stop.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Yes that's what i thought , just one more thing that doesn't work properly
JonS

Post by JonS »

Hello everyone. Not an ID3 owner yet but test drive booked next week and seriously considering it. I’ve a newbie question prompted by this thread....

My question regarding charging is regardless of whether the PodPoint app works, is it possible to programme charging from the car so that it (a) takes advantage of cheap tariffs and (b) stops charging at 80%.

It would seem odd if this wasn’t possible - something the Korean cars have offered for years without issue. I’m slightly concerned about the number of glitches I’m reading about......

Cheers,

Jon
Deleted User 192

JonS wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:03 am My question regarding charging is regardless of whether the PodPoint app works, is it possible to programme charging from the car so that it (a) takes advantage of cheap tariffs and (b) stops charging at 80%.

Theoretically, yes.

But it doesn’t work reliably, often under-charging so the level doesn’t reach 80% in time even though it would have done if you had just plugged the car in manually.
Derry

Post by Derry »

Tried the podpoint scheduling and it worked! Much simpler than the onboard VW system.
If you havea lockable podpoint you need to unlock it before you activate the schedule.
I am considering getting solar panels has any one any experience of charging using solar?
DadGrifty

Post by DadGrifty »

Have successfully managed a podpoint scheduled charge but not before some teething troubles. Apparently you need to schedule a charge every day of the week (whether you need one or not) so I selected the Octopus cheap rate times 00.30 - 04.30 for all days. The light on the podpoint charger then goes yellow. I made sure that there were no schedules set on my ID.3 panel (apart from the 80% max). When I needed a charge I plugged in the charger and got a flashing white light at the ID.3 charge socket. That went off after a while. Checking the charge during the scheduled time on my ID.3 app indicated charging at 27mph, much better than the 7mph I was getting just using the ID.3 scheduler.
GenerallyConfused

Post by GenerallyConfused »

Will try that - mine didn't charge last night. Good job I woke at 2am so could put it on
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Have been using the timed charge on the podpoint for quite a while with no issues

Last Thursday failed to charge (red light in car)
Carted at weekend but this week stubbornly refuses to time charge

When connecting cable with the lid on timed the car light goes red

Only way to charge is turn to the timed off on the pod point

Has anyone else had same problems?
Thanks
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Conquest ID

Post by Conquest ID »

On a slightly different topic, why does it say charging at 27mph, or 7mph! Surely it's meant to be in amps, or am I missing something?
2021 Life Pro Performance, White
Deleted User 192

Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:21 am On a slightly different topic, why does it say charging at 27mph, or 7mph! Surely it's meant to be in amps, or am I missing something?

Because VW have dumbed down the information given to the driver - they could show the kW figure, they could represent it as % per hour, but they show it as mph which is relative to the estimated range.

It might say 25mph in winter but maybe 30mph in summer, even though the actual kW is exactly the same.
Conquest ID

Post by Conquest ID »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:37 am
Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:21 am On a slightly different topic, why does it say charging at 27mph, or 7mph! Surely it's meant to be in amps, or am I missing something?
Because VW have dumbed down the information given to the driver - they could show the kW figure, they could represent it as % per hour, but they show it as mph which is relative to the estimated range.

It might say 25mph in winter but maybe 30mph in summer, even though the actual kW is exactly the same.
It looks to me that they are reporting the current. When I plug in my granny charger it shows 10mph, which would equate to the 10A that it is pulling. You can then dial this back using the "Reduce AC charging current" switch on WeConnectID, and it usually stays at 9A, although I have seen a range of 7 to 9.

The temperature could easily affect the charging rate as well. As the temperature rises, the resistance in the cable will increase, thus reducing the flow of current (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z ... revision/8)
Deleted User 192

Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:48 am It looks to me that they are reporting the current. When I plug in my granny charger it shows 10mph, which would equate to the 10A that it is pulling.

10mph when your range is estimated at 200 miles is different to 10mph when your range is estimated at 250 miles, even when the current is exactly the same and the temperatures are exactly the same.

The mpg charge rate is as much of an estimate as the range.
Conquest ID

Post by Conquest ID »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:35 am
Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:48 am It looks to me that they are reporting the current. When I plug in my granny charger it shows 10mph, which would equate to the 10A that it is pulling.

10mph when your range is estimated at 200 miles is different to 10mph when your range is estimated at 250 miles, even when the current is exactly the same and the temperatures are exactly the same.

Well I've only had the car a few days and haven't plugged it into anything else yet, so I'll see what happens when I plug into a 7kWh charger, I would expect around 30mph (or 30A).

Anyway, as long as it charges, it doesn't matter too much :D
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Confirmed my pod point has a problem
Engineer visit required as suspected circuit board issue

I had red light on car to start and today red light on pod point

Pod point able to do diagnostics over the air
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:05 am
scott28tt wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:35 am

Well I've only had the car a few days and haven't plugged it into anything else yet, so I'll see what happens when I plug into a 7kWh charger, I would expect around 30mph (or 30A).

Anyway, as long as it charges, it doesn't matter too much :D
On a 7 kw charger it can cary a lot. In 25 degrees the other day, I was getting 29mph (because it's based on potential range, so you're getting the same percentage of the battery, roughly 1% every 4.5 minutes). I've seen it only say 21 mph when it was about -1 outside.

I like it when it goes from mph to miles per minute, that's when you know you're on a fast DC charger. 5 miles per minute if the fastest I've ever had (that was around 80 kWh I think).