Range indicator confusion

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Weedman

Post by Weedman »

I'm getting confused by my range indicator, and wonder if anyone can shed some light on it.

After a night of sitting on the drive, the range indicator was showing 129 miles. Literally two miles down the road - half 30mph, half 50mph - and it's showing 115 miles. A mile further on and it's showing 117 miles.

How does the car work out the range, and can I trust it?

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

It takes many factors into consideration, including ambient temperature, recent driving, drive mode, and AC settings.

One of those things you’ll get used to…

Many EV owners refer to their range indication as the GoM, short for Guess-o-meter - what you’ve experienced is not unique to the ID3.
Weedman

Post by Weedman »

Thanks for that. Guess-o-meter - I like that!
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

If you turn the heating on and off, you will notice how much that affects it. So you may have got into it with the range, the heating kicked on and then it took the heating into account and dropped the range.

I don't think it will be the ambient temperature changing, as it will know that when you turn the car on and I doubt the temperatures dropped much.

Best to think worst case scenario. You will get used to how much range you will get out of it when.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

On a similar point, this current weather has lifted me in to unexpected territory with regard to range. Recent bimbles over the Yorkshire Moors have returned 5.4 - 5.8 miles / kW; fantastic!

Avalon
ID.3 1st Edition
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

Yes - it is only indicative, which is not wholly satisfactory. But a huge number of variables (which are in the future and not entirely predictable) go into the actual mileage you’ll extract from a charge so an exact figure is not actually possible. In the same way that smartphones show battery percentage rather than remaining usage time, it may be more sensible to watch the actual battery level.
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey
Conquest ID

Post by Conquest ID »

Jamh2000 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:29 pm Yes - it is only indicative, which is not wholly satisfactory. But a huge number of variables (which are in the future and not entirely predictable) go into the actual mileage you’ll extract from a charge so an exact figure is not actually possible. In the same way that smartphones show battery percentage rather than remaining usage time, it may be more sensible to watch the actual battery level.
I wish they displayed battery percentage on the main dashboard, not buried in some menu system!
2021 Life Pro Performance, White
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Conquest ID wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:53 am
Jamh2000 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:29 pm Yes - it is only indicative, which is not wholly satisfactory. But a huge number of variables (which are in the future and not entirely predictable) go into the actual mileage you’ll extract from a charge so an exact figure is not actually possible. In the same way that smartphones show battery percentage rather than remaining usage time, it may be more sensible to watch the actual battery level.
I wish they displayed battery percentage on the main dashboard, not buried in some menu system!
I'd hardly call Vehcile > charging .... buried.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Found in the menu layers so maybe not buried but agree with Conquest ID for the sake of a few digits it would be helpful and safer to have displayed it alongside the battery symbol like most phones.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

This thread topic re range. Im used to it now and can second guess how the range goes up and down on different days. However, I did a 500 mile trip recently staying in Bristol and moved the car out of a Hotel EV parking bay and found I had managed to get a range of 520 miles at 91% charge.
Dream on 😆

Screenshot_20210603-212825.jpg

Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I can't quite match your record, but after charging to 90% earlier, mine is now showing 479 miles!

Screenshot_20210620-223146.jpg

ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

😅
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22